Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caltonjock

Default Caltonjock

Can I ask the question why it's considered acceptable for Caltonjock to advertise his own site on this forum instead of the advertising part, as all he seems to be doing is pasting links to his site, rarely enters into conversations, except to cut and paste parts of his site to draw traffic to his site. Nice way of getting free advertising. Id like to hear his thoughts on Caithness and how the SNP's economic development strategy etc is going to lift the county up post Dounreay, that'll do for starters. PLenty action over central belt job losses ( steel etc ) , a lot of mouthing on North Sea demise ( and little action ) but nowt, sod all on poor auld Caitness. ALso why is the extreme political views espoused by Caltonjock acceptable on this site, when the so called opposite right wing perspective expressed by previous posters has seen people banned ?? One rule for the pro indy camp and another for the pro rUK eh !!!!!
    Last edited by rob murray; 22-Apr-16 at 16:24.

But I do comment on any aspect which gives me concern

https://caltonjock.com/2014/09/01/wi...-scottish-oil/

Windfall Tax Scottish Oil

Mr Osborne announced a £2 billion windfall tax, to be levied against oil & gas companies operating in the North Sea, (an increase of about 12%). The policy, which placed at risk thousands of jobs and billions of pounds of investment in the North of Scotland, was first brought forward, in committee by Scottish MP and Chief Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander. Many of Mr Alexander’s, Scottish Liberal Democratic MPs broke with protocol and voiced opposition to it. Ignoring protestation’s, at a formal business dinner, at which he was the invited speaker, attended by a large number of eminent London based business leaders, Mr Alexander triuphantly claimed ownership of the levy stating: “It was my idea, which I first proposed a few months ago.”
    Comments Subsequently Attributed to a Number of Mr Alexander’s Scottish Colleagues;
    1. Liberal Democrat MP, (Gordon) Malcom Bruce; This extra tax is breaking pledges made to the industry by Mr Osborne and the Liberal Democratic leader, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg. Additionally, “Mr Alexander is economically illiterate for coming up with a clearly populist move which could kill off investment in the North Sea”.
    2. Liberal Democrat MP, (West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine) Sir Robert Smith; This tax raid will be “economically disastrous”.
    3. Liberal Democrat MP, (Caithness and Sutherland) John Thurso raised concerns at an energy Select Committee, claiming; “Investment in new oilfields to the West of Shetland is now at risk”.
    The populace of Aberdeen and the North of Scotland would be well advised to note the views of Mr Alexander’s colleagues who think his grasp of economics borders on the illiterate. The only way to protect the Scottish oil & gas industry is to vote, “yes” to independence.

Again I highlighted an aspect of NATO involvement which is detrimental to the North of Scotland

https://caltonjock.com/2015/07/15/th...-to-the-yanks/

Scotland – Beautiful above – but deadly below and at sea
    Westminster handed the USA large areas of Scotland’s mainland, islands and maritime areas forming part of a long term lease lend scheme ensuring the UK would be provided with nuclear weapons at an advantageous price. Weapons currently include the Trident and around 200 nuclear warheads. Successive Westminster governments routinely claim the weapons systems provide the UK with an independent nuclear deterrent but this is not the case since all systems fall under the control of the USA at all times and as such their use could never be authorised by a UK Prime minister. The fore-going begs the question, why the hell do we have them?

An extract from one of my posts

https://caltonjock.com/2014/09/02/th...s-of-scotland/

The Legacy of the (Butcher) Duke of Sutherland, His Cronies & The Rape, Pillage and Theft of the Highlands of Scotland

In 1854 Britain declared war on Russia. Highland regiments, so conspicuous in the past, were now equally conspicuous by their absence. “Where are the Highlanders?” was asked. The Duke of Sutherland hastily travelled from London to Dunrobin Castle and enquired why there were no Highland volunteers, an elderly gentleman replied:
    “Your Grace’s mother and predecessors applied to our fathers for men upon former occasions and our fathers responded to their call. They have made us liberal promises, which neither them nor you performed. We are, we think, a little wiser than our fathers, and we estimate your promises of today at the value of theirs; besides you should bear in mind that your predecessors and yourself expelled us in a most cruel and unjust manner from the land which our fathers held in lien from your family. I do assure your Grace that it is the prevailing opinion in this country, that should the Czar of Russia take possession of Dunrobin Castle and Stafford House next term, that we could not expect worse treatment at his hands than we have experienced at the hands of your family for the last 50 years.”
    In Sutherland there were no volunteers. The dwindling number of men said: “We have no country to fight for. You robbed us of our land and gave it to the sheep. Therefore, since you have preferred sheep to men, let sheep defend you.” Those young men who refused to volunteer called a public meeting stating: “we are resolved that there shall be no volunteers or recruits from Sutherlandshire. Yet we assert that we are as willing as our forefathers were to peril life and limb in defence of our Queen and country were our wrongs and long-enduring oppression redressed, wrongs which will be remembered in Sutherlandshire by every true Highlander as long as grass grows and water runs.”
    HALF of Scotland is owned by just 500 people, few of whom are actually Scots. As Britain’s great land-owning aristocratic families decline, a new breed of foreign laird is exploiting Scotland’s arcane land laws to buy up tracts of the Highlands and islands – Europe’s last great wilderness.

Wrong county, Dude!

Wingsoverscotland is far more interesting with his rants and tripe than the rubbish you posting in here
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by caltonjock View Post

The Legacy of the (Butcher) Duke of Sutherland, His Cronies & The Rape, Pillage and Theft of the Highlands of Scotland

In 1854 Britain declared war on Russia. Highland regiments, so conspicuous in the past, were now equally conspicuous by their absence. “Where are the Highlanders?” was asked. The Duke of Sutherland hastily travelled from London to Dunrobin Castle and enquired why there were no Highland volunteers, an elderly gentleman replied:
    “Your Grace’s mother and predecessors applied to our fathers for men upon former occasions and our fathers responded to their call. They have made us liberal promises, which neither them nor you performed. We are, we think, a little wiser than our fathers, and we estimate your promises of today at the value of theirs; besides you should bear in mind that your predecessors and yourself expelled us in a most cruel and unjust manner from the land which our fathers held in lien from your family. I do assure your Grace that it is the prevailing opinion in this country, that should the Czar of Russia take possession of Dunrobin Castle and Stafford House next term, that we could not expect worse treatment at his hands than we have experienced at the hands of your family for the last 50 years.”
    In Sutherland there were no volunteers. The dwindling number of men said: “We have no country to fight for. You robbed us of our land and gave it to the sheep. Therefore, since you have preferred sheep to men, let sheep defend you.” Those young men who refused to volunteer called a public meeting stating: “we are resolved that there shall be no volunteers or recruits from Sutherlandshire. Yet we assert that we are as willing as our forefathers were to peril life and limb in defence of our Queen and country were our wrongs and long-enduring oppression redressed, wrongs which will be remembered in Sutherlandshire by every true Highlander as long as grass grows and water runs.”
    HALF of Scotland is owned by just 500 people, few of whom are actually Scots. As Britain’s great land-owning aristocratic families decline, a new breed of foreign laird is exploiting Scotland’s arcane land laws to buy up tracts of the Highlands and islands – Europe’s last great wilderness.
    We all know this don't assume we are ignorant up here, and attempt to lecture is on our gael history with a coyn paste job lifted from any clearance web site : its the wrong county as was pointed out : but turn to 21st century and whats the NATS going to do about post dounreay Caithness....as if you'd know ???

You plagiarised that from the Independent of 24th February 1996!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Even this simple fact escapes Calton Joke - think Crimea, think Thin Red Line, think 93rd SUTHERLAND Highlanders. Of course the A & S Highlanders were a figment of someones imagination - tchube !

23 Apr 2016: Bekisman wrote: "You plagiarised that from the Independent of 24th February 1996!"

I stand guilty as charged. In my defence I plead for understanding. I only recently started the blog and was very much on a learning curve. I have updated the post reflecting your comments

23 Apr 2016: Bystander1 wrote: "Even this simple fact escapes Calton Joke - think Crimea, think Thin Red Line, think 93rd SUTHERLAND Highlanders. Of course the A & S Highlanders were a figment of someones imagination - tchube ! "

I do not understand the content of your comment.

23 Apr 2016: sids wrote: "Wrong county, Dude!"

I do not understand the content of your comment

23 Apr 2016: Rob Murray wrote: "We all know this don't assume we are ignorant up here, and attempt to lecture is on our gael history with a coyn paste job lifted from any clearance web site : its the wrong county as was pointed out : but turn to 21st century and whats the NATS going to do about post dounreay Caithness....as if you'd know ???"

The bulk of my posts are indeed gathered from the internet. It is important to identify the source of information so that readers can check content details themselves. Your comment asking what the NATS are going to do about Dounreay is not difficult to answer. The Nats are going to do nothing about Dounreay since nuclear energy policy is not devolved to Holyrood. Scottish independence would allow the Scottish government to give attention to Dounreay,

23 Apr 2016: Golach wrote: "Wingsoverscotland is far more interesting with his rants and tripe than the rubbish you posting in here"

I agree. My blog is distinctly different to "Wings". In terms of interest the eye of the beholder decides. Not in agreement with your "tripe" comment. Posts to "Wings" are always entirely factually accurate

23 Apr 2016: Bekisman wrote: "You plagiarised that from the Independent of 24th February 1996!"

I stand guilty as charged. In my defence I plead for understanding. I only recently started the blog and was very much on a learning curve. I have updated the post reflecting your comments

23 Apr 2016: Bystander1 wrote: "Even this simple fact escapes Calton Joke - think Crimea, think Thin Red Line, think 93rd SUTHERLAND Highlanders. Of course the A & S Highlanders were a figment of someones imagination - tchube ! "

I do not understand the content of your comment.

23 Apr 2016: sids wrote: "Wrong county, Dude!"

I do not understand the content of your comment

23 Apr 2016: Rob Murray wrote: "We all know this don't assume we are ignorant up here, and attempt to lecture is on our gael history with a coyn paste job lifted from any clearance web site : its the wrong county as was pointed out : but turn to 21st century and whats the NATS going to do about post dounreay Caithness....as if you'd know ???"

The bulk of my posts are indeed gathered from the internet. It is important to identify the source of information so that readers can check content details themselves. Your comment asking what the NATS are going to do about Dounreay is not difficult to answer. The Nats are going to do nothing about Dounreay since nuclear energy policy is not devolved to Holyrood. Scottish independence would allow the Scottish government to give attention to Dounreay,

23 Apr 2016: Golach wrote: "Wingsoverscotland is far more interesting with his rants and tripe than the rubbish you posting in here"

I agree. My blog is distinctly different to "Wings". In terms of interest the eye of the beholder decides. Not in agreement with your "tripe" comment. Posts to "Wings" are always entirely factually accurate
    My man, it has been NAT policy to be anti nuclear energy for over 30 years, so come on, we expect no nuclear related replacement for Dounreay / post Dounreay from the NATS, westminster or no westminster, they haven uttered a word on DOunreay and the catastophic effect its closure will have , plenty shouting on Oil ( and good for them ! ) god knows what if anything will replace Dounreay which is the main stay employer for Caithness and North SUtherland, its not as if we have the population base to diversify into a service based economy ( ie post Motherwell / steel closures ) : plenty shouting over potential loss of a couple of hundred steel jobs in central scotland ( where the votes are ) but the loss of nearly 2,000 jobs plus knock on effect on supply chain post DOunreay.....NAT silence !! WHy not state sources used, as the internet is a wonderful information tool, but many sources are in correct. Me thinks you give your game away by stating that wings is entirely factually accuarate ???? We all know the land ownership disparity and SUtherland and parts of Caithness suffered terribly as a result of the clearances, but what can we do or indeed the NATS, confiscate the land owned by the rich ?

25 April Rob said: My man, it has been NAT policy to be anti nuclear energy for over 30 years, so come on, we expect no nuclear related replacement for Dounreay / post Dounreay from the NATS, westminster or no westminster, they haven uttered a word on DOunreay and the catastophic effect its closure will have , plenty shouting on Oil ( and good for them ! ) god knows what if anything will replace Dounreay which is the main stay employer for Caithness and North SUtherland, its not as if we have the population base to diversify into a service based economy ( ie post Motherwell / steel closures ) : plenty shouting over potential loss of a couple of hundred steel jobs in central scotland ( where the votes are ) but the loss of nearly 2,000 jobs plus knock on effect on supply chain post DOunreay.....NAT silence !! WHy not state sources used, as the internet is a wonderful information tool, but many sources are in correct. Me thinks you give your game away by stating that wings is entirely factually accuarate ???? We all know the land ownership disparity and SUtherland and parts of Caithness suffered terribly as a result of the clearances, but what can we do or indeed the NATS, confiscate the land owned by the rich ?

You are right to be concerned about the future. Regardless of government or future leaning of Scotland Dounreay will eventually close and the population affected by a closure should be consulted now. Dounreay and the surrounding area will be subject to a Chernobyl exclusion order which will need to be monitored and this should provide some long term employment. But finding employment for 2000+ persons is a tall order.

25 April Rob said: My man, it has been NAT policy to be anti nuclear energy for over 30 years, so come on, we expect no nuclear related replacement for Dounreay / post Dounreay from the NATS, westminster or no westminster, they haven uttered a word on DOunreay and the catastophic effect its closure will have , plenty shouting on Oil ( and good for them ! ) god knows what if anything will replace Dounreay which is the main stay employer for Caithness and North SUtherland, its not as if we have the population base to diversify into a service based economy ( ie post Motherwell / steel closures ) : plenty shouting over potential loss of a couple of hundred steel jobs in central scotland ( where the votes are ) but the loss of nearly 2,000 jobs plus knock on effect on supply chain post DOunreay.....NAT silence !! WHy not state sources used, as the internet is a wonderful information tool, but many sources are in correct. Me thinks you give your game away by stating that wings is entirely factually accuarate ???? We all know the land ownership disparity and SUtherland and parts of Caithness suffered terribly as a result of the clearances, but what can we do or indeed the NATS, confiscate the land owned by the rich ?

You are right to be concerned about the future. Regardless of government or future leaning of Scotland Dounreay will eventually close and the population affected by a closure should be consulted now. Dounreay and the surrounding area will be subject to a Chernobyl exclusion order which will need to be monitored and this should provide some long term employment. But finding employment for 2000+ persons is a tall order.
    AH come off it, major run down and job losses are just a few years down the road, a Chernobyl exclusion order would mean shifting the population, the population has been consulted there have been, many what we do after DOunreay groups formed by Dounreay / LA etc lots of talk but we the people of Caithness need a Scottish government led initiative supporting a post DOunreay re generation plan and nothing like that has happened, unless you count our local NAT MP shouting about transportation of spent nuclear materials / but nowt on post DOunreay. We have been hung out to dry cos these no votes hetre, it wouldnt matter a jot if the NATS lost the seat would ity I suppose thats the NAT policy then a new clearance !

29April; Rob said: AH come off it, major run down and job losses are just a few years down the road, a Chernobyl exclusion order would mean shifting the population, the population has been consulted there have been, many what we do after DOunreay groups formed by Dounreay / LA etc lots of talk but we the people of Caithness need a Scottish government led initiative supporting a post DOunreay re generation plan and nothing like that has happened, unless you count our local NAT MP shouting about transportation of spent nuclear materials / but nowt on post DOunreay. We have been hung out to dry cos these no votes hetre, it wouldnt matter a jot if the NATS lost the seat would ity I suppose thats the NAT policy then a new clearance !

I agree there is a need to find new opportunities for employment in the North of Scotland post Dounreay. But this is unlikely unless there are major improvements in the rail links from Inverness. A working group brought forward proposals some time back...I think the cost was projected to be around £700m. Rail line requirements alone would assist the Steel industry. Did this ever get the go-ahead. If not it should be.

Dounreay and the surrounding area will be subject to a Chernobyl exclusion order.
    What will the people who live there now think about that?

29April; Rob said: AH come off it, major run down and job losses are just a few years down the road, a Chernobyl exclusion order would mean shifting the population, the population has been consulted there have been, many what we do after DOunreay groups formed by Dounreay / LA etc lots of talk but we the people of Caithness need a Scottish government led initiative supporting a post DOunreay re generation plan and nothing like that has happened, unless you count our local NAT MP shouting about transportation of spent nuclear materials / but nowt on post DOunreay. We have been hung out to dry cos these no votes hetre, it wouldnt matter a jot if the NATS lost the seat would ity I suppose thats the NAT policy then a new clearance !

I agree there is a need to find new opportunities for employment in the North of Scotland post Dounreay. But this is unlikely unless there are major improvements in the rail links from Inverness. A working group brought forward proposals some time back...I think the cost was projected to be around £700m. Rail line requirements alone would assist the Steel industry. Did this ever get the go-ahead. If not it should be.
    Rail line; nah would have meant Lairg being forsaken
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."