Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do all new bands sound the same?

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    and if the "skinny jean, tribly wearing, tele toting, topman" bands of the world are popular at the moment, its for a reason - whatever that may be. if that ain't your bag, i'm afraid you'll just have to weather the storm...
    I get the impression you're in such a band. Nobody has to weather the storm. I don't buy into this whole Radio 1 carry on. Radio 1 is rubbish... full of rubbish. Rubbish bands, playing rubish music with rubbish production.

Popular for a reason? You're 100% correct... people are spoon fed it by the music industry... just like punk in the 70's, hair metal in the 80, grunge in the 90's and nu-metal in the early 00's.

This fad needs to die...

Seriously, how many people here can name a song that Pete Docherty has written?

is this where i apologise for making music which some people dont enjoy? any music i have made or will be making is music that i like to play and listen to, as you and your band do i assume? the only of those four points which applies to me is that i play a tele... can't stand skinny jeans to be honest...

with regards to "pop" music in various decades, you can take a duck to water but you can't make them swim. i am a firm believer in that people like what they like because of who and what they are, not because of what people tell them to like. after all, you blantantly don't appreciate the "indie wimp" genre whereas myself and others do - nothing to do with being a sheep for the record company/radio propaganda or having no brain, simply because i enjoy the music.

i can guarantee whilst i like a lot of that style of music, at the same time though i can guarantee i like many bands you do... the wonder of the freedom of choice - no one has to be penned into one style or genre of music, it's only a poor show that some genres get more exposure than others...

as for pete doherty penned songs, i can name several - but then hey, by the same token i can name several dave grohl, sheryl crow, james hetfield or johnny cash have written - big deal...
    Last edited by guitarzan; 05-Sep-07 at 14:13. Reason: spelling
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Well said my man, ignore the comment on the "tele", the greatest guitarists there ever were played tele's ( but of course that is my opinion )

Music is all about hair and clothes. Always has been, always will be. Do yourselves a favour and read the section on "Debbie" from the Real Frank Zappa book. That'll about cover it all for you.

Smile

Radio 1! No don't listen to it...but thanks for the comments I appreciate your
    consideration to the question.
    I have never been attached to any particular genre of music or any particular band but like a wide variety of songs,sounds and instruments from the whole spectrum and I wish that variety was more popular.
    Perhaps this will grow as the internet makes more 'variety' available to the rising generation. There is so much out there!
    How about the Big Gig...did this reflect that variety ? or reflect the diversity available in Caithness? or the culture or ... two guitars a drummer and an animate singer? Or was it a radio 1 type gig caithness style?
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
    Radio 1! No don't listen to it...but thanks for the comments I appreciate your
    consideration to the question.
    I have never been attached to any particular genre of music or any particular band but like a wide variety of songs,sounds and instruments from the whole spectrum and I wish that variety was more popular.
    Perhaps this will grow as the internet makes more 'variety' available to the rising generation. There is so much out there!
    How about the Big Gig...did this reflect that variety ? or reflect the diversity available in Caithness? or the culture or ... two guitars a drummer and an animate singer? Or was it a radio 1 type gig caithness style?
    Not at all, it was more like Monsters Of Rock with a wee bit of other stuff mixed in.

Not that I was complaining or nowt

Here! Big mac! whats yon foto on your avatar? email it til me bhey!

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
    Why do all new bands sound the same?
    Its always one guy/girl lazily moaning into the mike with a couple of guitars making alot of noise and somewhere in the lingering mist behind them lurks a drummer trying to smack the living daylights out of his hidden demons..or his drums of course.
    Dont be silly!

How often does MIKA lazily moan?

YOUR point is ruined right from the start!

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Here! Big mac! whats yon foto on your avatar? email it til me bhey!
    Its one of the dudes from Chimera, and us of course! Didnt even realize it was him at the time, too drunk !

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Its one of the dudes from Chimera, and us of course! Didnt even realize it was him at the time, too drunk !
    Och i mind now! he was lyk 'hey ur they two good lookin guys from Empty Fortune! Can I get my photo taken with u guys?'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12