Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Share your music

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I think this is superb! If you don't appreciate this amazing musicianship... you don't deserve ears.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ieRFnlcsZ0g
    Mnaah, I heard a lot of people raving about them and Taz has been trying to get me to liste to more. Its very boring, sure its technical, and they can play their instruments, but its very boring, if this was their first song at that concert I woud left half way through it and been in a pub listening to the Doors on the Wurlitzer before they got to the end of their erm, arrangment? If they would just remove half the notes from the song it woudl sond so much better. Each to his own though, I can recognise it as being well written for progressive music, but for me it goes nowhere and is dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Mnaah, I heard a lot of people raving about them and Taz has been trying to get me to liste to more. Its very boring, sure its technical, and they can play their instruments, but its very boring, if this was their first song at that concert I woud left half way through it and been in a pub listening to the Doors on the Wurlitzer before they got to the end of their erm, arrangment? If they would just remove half the notes from the song it woudl sond so much better. Each to his own though, I can recognise it as being well written for progressive music, but for me it goes nowhere and is dull.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Must admit, Dream Theatre have never really clicked for me. The musicianship is indeed superb. Petrucci is an amazing guitarist. Check out him, satch, and vai playing Smoke on the Water at a G3 event.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=jWffQv9zyks

And imo, the more notes, the better (cue abuse from G2 *grin*)

Small Faces and "Tin Soldier" ( 1967 ) 4 cockneys in their late teens / 21 age range, this is their 6th top ten single, self penned and produced. Blows everything else released in 67 to smithereens.....period !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKZoFRpZCI

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Small Faces and "Tin Soldier" ( 1967 ) 4 cockneys in their late teens / 21 age range, this is their 6th top ten single, self penned and produced. Blows everything else released in 67 to smithereens.....period !

First recording to contain phasing, discovered by accident using two tape recorders. Not so sure about the smithereen claims considering what was coming out of San Francisco at the time.

Love that track, one of my Small faces favorites, never ever seen a video performance of it, thanks for that!

One of my favorite ever folk bands is OUTBACK, a fusion of Australian, Celtic and African musics, really brilliant and found one of the best tracks BAKA on youtube... not a good quality video though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sg3B57pm85Y

A aband that became an offshoot of Outback was BAKA BEYOND, here is a clip of them Live in Brasil, they lost the Australian influence but musicians from 6 differnt countries in Europe and Africa make for a great sound.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGUvkyfnzc8

Ah well I may as well throw in one from my all time favorite folk band Shooglenifty, new album just out calle The Troots, here is an older song live in Edinburgh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GgXgRsW-Vlw
    Last edited by Jeemag_USA; 16-Mar-07 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    First recording to contain phasing, discovered by accident using two tape recorders. Not so sure about the smithereen claims considering what was coming out of San Francisco at the time.
    Didn't Steve Reich discover it in 'It's Gonna Rain' (1965) and then use it again in 'Come Out' (1966)?

It was, of course, discovered by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazaa View Post
    Didn't Steve Reich discover it in 'It's Gonna Rain' (1965) and then use it again in 'Come Out' (1966)?

It was, of course, discovered by accident.
    It has always been claimed that the Small Faces were the first but I am not prepared to argue with your obviously superior knowledge. They were, I have always thought, the first group to get into the top twenty using phasing but then again I could be mistaken. Way back in 1967 we young musicians were very taken with the sound of Tin Soldier and I can honestly say that I have never heard of Steve Reich. Who is or was he? Just Googled him and am now enlightened and understand how I didn't know his music in 1967.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 16-Mar-07 at 22:57.

Getting myself really confused now. Perhaps one of you Small Faces afficianados will tell me if Itchycoo Park and Tin Soldier used Phasing and which one came first?

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Although I enjoyed Annie Lennox as half of the Eurythmics, I think I enjoyed her even more as a solo artist. Her "Diva" album from 1992 was brilliant, and I was also very impressed with "Medusa", which followed in 1995.

"Walking On Broken Glass" was one of my favourite songs and videos from "Diva". I loved the period costumes and the drama! Hugh Laurie and John Malkovich appear in it, with a nod to their respective roles in "Blackadder the Third" and "Dangerous Liaisons".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_82HGoIdk
    Last edited by Sporran; 17-Mar-07 at 05:02.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Getting myself really confused now. Perhaps one of you Small Faces afficianados will tell me if Itchycoo Park and Tin Soldier used Phasing and which one came first?
    Itchycoo and Tin Soldier were consecutive single releases, Itchycoo in August 67 and Tin Soldier in December 67. I am pretty certain Itchycoo uses phasing because you can hear it in the part before the chorus, in the drum fills, before "we get hi-igh.... touch the ski-iy ..." etc. Its a slow phase, sounds almost like stereo fading.
    Last edited by Jeemag_USA; 17-Mar-07 at 19:00.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Phasing. I am going to try this out very soon

feed a musical signal into 2 seperate reel to reel tape machines & slow one down against the other......that should (hopefully) give me true organic analog phasing

Phasing was also used on Axis Bold As Love from Jimmi Hendrix in fact I think it may have been the title track that used the phasing

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXwIIBlSgw

Quote Originally Posted by 98elite View Post

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXwIIBlSgw
    I love that song, 98elite!

Another fave song of mine is "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty. I never tire of it, and it brings back memories to me. It was getting very frequent airplay during my last few months in Thurso, 1978, before my husband whisked me off to a life spent overseas. Gerry looks really cool in this video - sort of a cross between John Lennon and Roy Orbison!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LzLpRf8J1...related&search=
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

was Joe Egan involved in Baker Street???? or was that Stuck In The Middle

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post

was Joe Egan involved in Baker Street???? or was that Stuck In The Middle
    No, Joe was not involved in "Baker Street", but he and Gerry wrote "Stuck In The Middle" together for their band, Stealers Wheel. That was in 1972, the year the band was formed. The band called it quits in 1975, and Gerry cut a solo album, "City To City" in 1978, which included "Baker Street".

I was equally impressed with Stealers Wheel and Gerry Rafferty as a solo artist. Either way, the tunes were extremely catchy, and Gerry's voice was fantastic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Rafferty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealers_Wheel

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Phasing is on Itchycoo Park only, ( drum breaks ) the effect very quickly became a feature of "Psychedelic Rock" ( 67 /68 )&nbsp; Glyn Johns engineered the single, although a tape operator is suppossed to have stumbled across the effect. Phasing is bound to have been used before,&nbsp;but I suppose in those days ( with no internet etc )&nbsp;&nbsp; you could hang on to a technique for a while before others worked it out.</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Ironically, Itchycoo Park was a piss take of the summer of love... ( what did you do there...I got high ), Tin Soldier ( far more representative of the band ) is a straight ahead rocker ( no real noticeble effects ).</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>G2 : Yes there was an explosion&nbsp;of west coast music in 67 (from the bay area) which shaped / informed and provided the&nbsp;soundtrack to &nbsp;the counter culture movement in the US, ie&nbsp; defined the attitude, image and music of a generation of Americans ( in much the same way the punk rock did in the UK in 1976 /&nbsp; 77 ) ie attitude image and music. We can argue over the music, but the attitude / image connections ( ie values / lifestyle )&nbsp;is the key point...dont you think ??</FONT></SPAN></P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Phasing is on Itchycoo Park only, ( drum breaks ) the effect very quickly became a feature of "Psychedelic Rock" ( 67 /68 )&nbsp; Glyn Johns engineered the single, although a tape operator is suppossed to have stumbled across the effect. Phasing is bound to have been used before,&nbsp;but I suppose in those days ( with no internet etc )&nbsp;&nbsp; you could hang on to a technique for a while before others worked it out.</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Ironically, Itchycoo Park was a piss take of the summer of love... ( what did you do there...I got high ), Tin Soldier ( far more representative of the band ) is a straight ahead rocker ( no real noticeble effects ).</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>G2 : Yes there was an explosion&nbsp;of west coast music in 67 (from the bay area) which shaped / informed and provided the&nbsp;soundtrack to &nbsp;the counter culture movement in the US, ie&nbsp; defined the attitude, image and music of a generation of Americans ( in much the same way the punk rock did in the UK in 1976 /&nbsp; 77 ) ie attitude image and music. We can argue over the music, but the attitude / image connections ( ie values / lifestyle )&nbsp;is the key point...dont you think ??</FONT></SPAN></P>
    Eh????????????

Phasing is on Itchycoo Park only, ( drum breaks ) the effect very quickly became a feature of "Psychedelic Rock" ( 67 /68 ) Glyn Johns engineered the single, although a tape operator is suppossed to have stumbled across the effect. Phasing is bound to have been used before, but I suppose in those days ( with no internet etc ) you could hang on to a technique for a while before others worked it out.

Ironically, Itchycoo Park was a piss take of the summer of love... ( what did you do there...I got high ), Tin Soldier ( far more representative of the band ) is a straight ahead rocker ( no real noticeble effects ).

G2 : Yes there was an explosion of west coast music in 67 (from the bay area) which shaped / informed and provided the soundtrack to the counter culture movement in the US, ie defined the attitude, image and music of a generation of Americans ( in much the same way the punk rock did in the UK in 1976 / 77 ) ie attitude image and music. We can argue over the music, but the attitude / image connections ( ie values / lifestyle ) is the key point...dont you think ??
    Eh????????????
    Translated for you!
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast