Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westminster running scared?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    (the BBC) show balanced reporting.
    Hahahahahahahahaha. You've fair cheered me up. How anyone can believe that is beyond me.

Here is another example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indy march 3.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	35141

EDIT:- And while I'm at it, any negativity is more likely to come from the BritNat side. I am trying to encourage people to be positive about Scotland - see thread on press coverage of the QC.
    Last edited by Corky Smeek; 12-Feb-20 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Hahahahahahahahaha. You've fair cheered me up. How anyone can believe that is beyond me.

Here is another example.

Name:	indy march 3.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	35141

EDIT:- And while I'm at it, any negativity is more likely to come from the BritNat side. I am trying to encourage people to be positive about Scotland - see thread on press coverage of the QC.
    Again, your comment only goes to prove my point about your biased postings. You only show pictures from papers that support your views. I suggested you google, which would show the vast majority of images do not fit your story, but clearly, that would shoot your theory down in flames.

Please keep posting your totally biased posts, they make great reading, and show you up for what you truly are.

Please keep posting your totally biased posts, they make great reading, and show you up for what you truly are.
    Rather autobiographical, I think.

The difference between us is, you find one picture that outrages you even though 99 tell the same story as you, as I pointed out re Google and the BBC.

I find your posts entertaining, mine make your blood pressure soar.

I'm reasonably happy, you seem not to be.

You truly are a 'glass half empty' person.

The difference between us is, you find one picture that outrages you even though 99 tell the same story as you, as I pointed out re Google and the BBC.

I find your posts entertaining, mine make your blood pressure soar.

I'm reasonably happy, you seem not to be.

You truly are a 'glass half empty' person.
    Nah! Enough is enough. There is no point in debating with someone who, at the first hint that they are losing the argument resorts to personal attacks. Playground stuff.

You really need to be more gracious in defeat.

Since you two are on the subject of the BBC, I came across this wee video which shows two different takes on the same news story the other night, one from STV and the other from the BBC.

STV presented a straight to the point take on Nicola Sturgeon's trip to Brussels. On the other hand, the BBC do their usual. The BBC presenter wummin's face is a picture of joy, and "he" even throws a thumb over his shoulder at one point, and refers to Nicola Sturgeon as "her". They also throw in wee bits of innuendo, and just in case we forget, a wee mention of Derek Mackay.

Just watch it and you'll see the difference.

Having just watched both reports, I couldn't really see a problem with either (maybe that's my problem) The STV report was very short (about 2 mins) whereas the BBC report was about 5 mins, so had more 'analysis'. I agree the thumb over the shoulder and 'her' reference was not the most profesional but maybe that's just the reporters style.

Having just watched both reports, I couldn't really see a problem with either (maybe that's my problem) The STV report was very short (about 2 mins) whereas the BBC report was about 5 mins, so had more 'analysis'. I agree the thumb over the shoulder and 'her' reference was not the most profesional but maybe that's just the reporters style.
    See, that's the thing with the BBC, they are very subtle in their presentations. This story was, first and foremost, about the First Minister's trip to Brussels. Now, whether you realise it or not, she has been to many meetings like this all over Europe, made speeches, and won a few awards, but the BBC seldom even mention them, never mind give a 5 minute report, Why? What was so special about this one?

Well, I don't know if you have noticed or not, but the UK media is in full attack mode at the moment, against the SNP. Every day they find something/someone new to have a go at. It's full steam ahead to take down and attempt to destroy the Scottish Government. They will stop at nothing to prevent another referendum, but just in case it actually happens, they are putting in the groundwork to demonise the SNP.

STV in this instance, covered the FM's trip, what it was about, and even brought up the issue of the little light show in Brussels, and made clear that no reports had been made to anyone. They told of her views on how the dropping of UK standards, for example, which will also affect Scotland, will make it more difficult to maintain access to, and returning to, the European market.

The BBC started off with Nicola's fears of dropping standards and rejoining the EU, but they very quickly got that out of the way. They then went quickly on to the light show in Brussels, but instead of reporting that no action was taken, they played a small clip from a press conference earlier in the day, where UK journalists were pressing the issue about the light show. Not once were they told that action, in this instance, had been taken, nor "raised any eyebrows", though they tried hard, but the little clip they did show, which was in response to a question, wasn't very clear about that. So anyone who didn't know it was a non-story, would, I believe, still be under the impression that action had been taken as had been widely reported in the British Press. Subtle?

Then they went straight onto Independence, including problems with having a border with England. I don't think that was what this trip was all about, as nothing has yet been finalised about how things will end up. (for some strange reasons, these issues were being brought up by the UK journalists....did they really have to go all the way to Brussels to ask her about this?)

This led straight onto how the SNP would get Independence, as Westminster were not going to "allow" another referendum, and how her opponents think she should just be "getting on with the day job", with wee digs at Health and Education.

And, finally, just to make sure we don't forget, a wee reminder about Derek Mackay. Let's face it, why would she go all the way to Brussels so she could talk about Derek Mackay? This was brought up there by the UK media once again.

So, although these news reports aren't really a big issue, in this instance, it is just an example of how BBC reporting isn't always as straight forward as it may seem, and how some may miss what they are actually doing. It may have been a longer report than STV, but very little of it was anything to do with what the trip was about.

Last edited by Shabbychic; 13-Feb-20 at 08:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    And, finally, just to make sure we don't forget, a wee reminder about Derek Mackay. Let's face it, why would she go all the way to Brussels so she could talk about Derek Mackay? This was brought up there by the UK media once again.
    You say it like it is something minor that should be forgotten about. Let's not forget that the last First Minister is awaiting trial for alleged sex offences, whilst the person hotly tipped to have been the next one had to resign after sending inappropriate texts. Its hardly a minor matter when both your predecessor and potential successor manage to mire themselves amongst such accusations.

Talking of people mired in accusations

Name:	gove and bojo.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	35148

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Talking of people mired in accusations

Name:	gove and bojo.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	35148
    It's always worth putting links to stories/claims like this. You have already stated the msm and BBC cannot be trusted so I'm happy to read your source when you post. Many thanks

It's always worth putting links to stories/claims like this. You have already stated the msm and BBC cannot be trusted so I'm happy to read your source when you post. Many thanks
    Any prospect of an apology heading my way any time soon. Many thanks, in advance.

Name:	hignify.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	35149

Mr Gove and Johnson are not convicted class A dealers. They may/may not have tried drugs in the past, who knows. Do either of them have convictions?

On a different thread regarding the death penalty, many comments seem to say that prison/death penalty doesn't work. Maybe the threat of deportation might. I would deport them the moment they were convicted, why should UK tax payers pay to keep them in prison.

Mr Gove and Johnson are not convicted class A dealers. They may/may not have tried drugs in the past, who knows. Do either of them have convictions?

On a different thread regarding the death penalty, many comments seem to say that prison/death penalty doesn't work. Maybe the threat of deportation might. I would deport them the moment they were convicted, why should UK tax payers pay to keep them in prison.
    So, no apology then; just deflection. Still waiting in hope.

When i make a mistake on this board I correct it and will always do so.

When i make a mistake on this board I correct it and will always do so.
    Why don't you just admit that you thought you saw an opportunity to have a "go" at me and rushed into print without checking your facts first? When you are in a hole stop digging.

I have no idea which particular post you are on about. You post so much that I find laughable, it could be any one of them.

I told you before, the only reason I don't block you is for your entertainment value. Keep it up.

Oh, for the love of God can we please stop all this stupid willy-waving. How about I just admit that yours is bigger than mine and we can get back to discussing important stuff.

Sounds good to me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast