Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got your passport for Orkney?

Default Got your passport for Orkney?

"Have you got your passport?" ~ well photo ID anyway ~ will soon be the shout before heading for the Orkney Show. Whatever next?
    http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/default.aspx.locid-00gnew3b5.Lang-EN.htm

"We know who you are and we know where to find you!" I wonder when they will get round to putting cameras in our houses so they can check when we move from room to room and find who comes to visit us?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Just go by the Gills or Groats one. Don't think they are doing this but maybe I wrong.
    Yippee puppies galore soon

Were I running Pentland Ferries and had just spent £10 million on a nice new boat that needed paying for, I'd think Northlink had arranged for my birthday and Christmas to fall all on the same day...... idiots.

I cannot see a problem with this, you have to produce photographic proof when boarding any Easy Jet, Ryan Air flights, and a much more restrictive selection of proof is asked by Easy Jet.
    Last edited by golach; 16-Jan-08 at 21:02.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Think it`s a good thing, don`t want any undesirables coming into the county.

Talking

In fact thinking on it further, think i`ll start up a petition for cross county border checks, should help the unemployment figures.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I cannot see a problem with this, you have to produce photographic proof when boarding any Easy Jet, Ryan Air flights, and a much more restrictive selection fo proof is asked by Easy Jet.
    And they have in common with Northlink, errrr.............?

What threat do Northlink claim to be combating? The massed ranks of the Orkney Taliban are indeed fearsome...... there is however, a suspicious lack of suicide bombing, car bombs, and even (whisper it soft) ethnic minorities of the sort generally associated with such outrages.

So now the only way of getting to and from Orkney, except for Pentland Ferries, involves having an ID check. Does no one else think that's a downright disgrace is this country which pretty much invented the concept of freedom - or at least laid down the principles of it in law?

I can see extended loading times, arguments and unpleasantness over forgotten ID, or unsuitable ID. I can see huge problems because there are many, many people here of all ages who don't have a passport or photocard driver's licence. And I can see people like me who won't be using Northlink again........ because I have a choice.

You need photo ID to go to on a domestic flight to Orkney.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    You need photo ID to go to on a domestic flight to Orkney.
    By 'eck, no kidding? Nice to see you've not lost your gift for statements of the bleedin' obvious.... Let's apply a little intelligence, instead of a crude comparison:

Flights are affected by Control Orders from the Government. Whether they do any good or not is highly debatable. Aberdeen or Edinburgh airport are much bigger and more difficult to control than Scrabster or Stromness; they have multiple passenger origins and multiple destinations; you can't easily segregate Orkney or Shetland passengers for different treatment, especially if they're flying onwards.

Northlink sails between remote destinations and in fact, it's a closed system. You can't enter it from, say Syria, without having got through UK border security first. Home-grown terrorists might, I suppose, want to blow up a few islanders but then I'd ask how Northlink have assessed the threat?

Ferry companies are essentially different; the risks are different and the control environment is different. The fact that people checking in for flights need ID just means that they go by boat instead, where it's an issue. Northlink, on its own "authority" seems to me to have little right to restrict people's right to travel.

People, on the other hand, have the right to vote with their wallets, and I hope people will choose Pentland Ferries in future!

Quote Originally Posted by j4bberw0ck View Post
    Northlink sails between remote destinations and in fact, it's a closed system. You can't enter it from, say Syria, without having got through UK border security first.
    Doesn't Stromness or Kirkwall have a marina of sorts? Major drug trafficking is done in small yachts and stuff, they can gain access to the UK mainland via northlink ferries then.

Doesn't Stromness or Kirkwall have a marina of sorts? Major drug trafficking is done in small yachts and stuff, they can gain access to the UK mainland via northlink ferries then.
    Gee whiz, yes. Or they could sail their small boat to avoid the sniffer dogs which are often in use in Shetland and have been used in Orkney.

We'd need to be careful of Venusians too - having landed their flying saucers in North Ronaldsay, they come in to Kirkwall by the Orkney Fairies service, then get the Northlink boat to go south to try to find our leaders.

Happens all the time. Not an issue for the most part; I imagine they'll continue to use Pentland Ferries and so not get ID checked at all.

Why would they go to Orkney by small yacht just to board a ferry to come to the mainland? There are lots of small craft use Scrabster anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by webmannie View Post
    Think it`s a good thing, don`t want any undesirables coming into the county.
    Who would want to go there anyway? Went once. Was blown off my feet. Did not meet a true Orcadian. Everything cost a fortune. Naw, stay on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Why would they go to Orkney by small yacht just to board a ferry to come to the mainland? There are lots of small craft use Scrabster anyway.
    You have probably made the first mistake of trying to guess and assume any terrorists would not do such a thing. If that was the case then the terrorists now have an open door and unchallenged into our country.

You have probably made the first mistake of trying to guess and assume any terrorists would not do such a thing. If that was the case then the terrorists now have an open door and unchallenged into our country.
    No Rheghead, I would never underestimate terrorists. Just wondered why anyone would bother and if they did, what bearing needing photo ID for Northlink had to do with it? Sorry, if I'm being a bit dense, just don't get it.

And they have in common with Northlink, errrr.............?
    I can see huge problems because there are many, many people here of all ages who don't have a passport or photocard driver's licence. And I can see people like me who won't be using Northlink again........ because I have a choice.
    Excuse me Jabber, Nothlink carry passengers!!!! Thats what they have in common.
    Where does it say only passport or photcard driver's licence are to be the only form of identification for Northlink? There are many forms of identification that are to be accepted.
    I and many thousands of Senior Citizens in Scotland travel on buses each day in Scotland, and we are asked to show photographic ID. Thousands of bus travellers on Lothian Buses and bus companies all over the UK, all have photographic ID (their season tickets), do they or the Senior Citizens create a fuss?............ I think thou doth protest too much Jabber

If that was the case then the terrorists now have an open door and unchallenged into our country.
    They do anyway. Not one single solitary immigration control officer for miles and miles. Whaligoe Steps, anyone?

There's the issue of imposing "security" sufficient to stop people being able to get in and out of the country. How draconian do you want it to be? Like East Germany used to be? Shoot to kill policies? Barbed wire?

Photo ID?

Oh woops.......

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Nothlink carry passengers!!!! Thats what they have in common.
    True, golach. But that's to miss the point that there's a single, closed transport loop for their services, unlike Aberdeen or Edinburgh airports. Might as well have the local taxi firm insist on photo ID before they carry you.

Where does it say only passport or photcard driver's licence are to be the only form of identification for Northlink? There are many forms of identification that are to be accepted.
    Here, for a start, and Radio Orkney also.

I and many thousands of Senior Citizens in Scotland travel on buses each day in Scotland, and we are asked to show photographic ID.
    Yeah, that's because you're a suspicious-looking bunch. Especially you !

Seriously, yes, you do produce photo ID, but that's because your card has some sort of value to someone who finds it in the street, if it can't be associated with you as an individual. The real issue with photo id is whether people take any notice; one bank trialled photo id on their cheque card / debit card a few years ago. It was going to reduce fraud at a stroke!

As a control, a batch of cards showing a baboon's head and shoulders were produced and sent out with mystery shoppers. Not a one was picked up by shop assistants - they saw the photo, but didn't LOOK at it. In other words, it becomes a box-tick rather than exercising common sense.

Here, for a start, and Radio Orkney also..
    http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/de...b5.Lang-EN.htm

Go straight to the horses mouth Jabber, and you will get the truth, don't believe every thing you read in hick papers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast