Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty

Execution is an absolute, if you are going to execute someone you have to be absolutely certain that they are guilty, failure to do this will result in the death of an innocent which is totally wrong. The Death penalty at the time of it's use was NEVER a deterrent for murder, I say this because I believe that History shows that of all the people hung for murder not one of them were deterred by the Death penalty, had execution worked as a deterrent there would have been no murders and no executions.
    What the Death penalty was, was a punishment for murder, nothing more, nothing less.
    I firmly believe that the Death penalty should be re-instated for some of the more gruesome murders committed in our society, but only if a safe guard was in place within our legal structure, whereby following a conviction for murder, the Death penalty could only be sought providing there was no doubt at all of the conviction..

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    So you are happy to send someone that could be innocent to jail? To deprive them of their freedom. To deprive them of their family, maybe depriving them of seeing their children and grandchildren grow up? To wreck their career, perhaps cause them to lose their home if being in jail means they cannot keep up the mortgage payments on their house, to perhaps cause a marital breakup, to possibly cause them to descend into drug use out of boredom whilst behind bars, to cause them to "turn criminal" due to the criminal associations they will form whilst being wrongly held. You are happy to do this to an innocent person? And you believe treating innocent people in this way is civilised?
    No....but I'd be a lot happier to see them in jail rather than executed...wouldn't you? Sheesh!

You are completely irrational on this subject and are simply continually repeating the same opinion in different ways time after time.

Learn to read English as it is written, without reading it through a prism of...."I can't think of a suitable response so I can continue arguing, so I'll read into someones's post something which will let me open my mouth again to let my belly rumble."

We know, because you have made it abundantly clear, that you think our justice system is perfect and never makes mistakes...and whatever anyone says in response, you will use it to build a strawman.or two!

In other forums that would be called trolling.

Deleted : RM
    Last edited by rob murray; 26-Apr-13 at 22:31.

Why is it the anti death penalty club always gloss over the key fact? Its not for when there is doubt, only when there is no doubt, whatsoever.

DNA + irrefutable CCTV + reliable witness + the perp saying "Yeah, I done 'im good guv - 'e had it comin to 'im - An I'll be back to get 'is bruvver the week I get let out again"
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by rob murray; 26-Apr-13 at 22:34.

Again, why do the anti's have such an obsession with executing the innocent? I can't get my head round this fixation that they have.
    Deleted RM : You can eat pork but cant....
    Last edited by rob murray; 26-Apr-13 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Pm me I take this is as an utter insult, Id like you to say this garbage face to face...then youll suffer the concequences you perveted slime ball creep .
    ha ha I'd like to say it face to face but none of these people are tall enough to do that. Except for one would be murderer who's taller than me.

Again, why do the anti's have such an obsession with executing the innocent? I can't get my head round this fixation that they have.
    Deleted : Unworthy of any reply
    Last edited by rob murray; 26-Apr-13 at 22:31.

For many years I supported bringing back the death penalty, however even with the advances in DNA evidence etc. I now no longer think it should be because there has been cases where DNA has been shown to have been wrongly sought or has been tampered or compromised. The cases of Harold Shipman, Dennis Neilson or Ian Huntley show them as guilty without a doubt and so they would have been executed, however Barry George could also have been executed for the murder of Jill Dando, a conviction which was later overturned. So unless the accused actually admits to their guilt, and the information they provide as well as the evidence proves something only they and the investigating officers know about, I'm not happy about bringing back the death penalty. I couldn't sleep easy if I was on a jury that had found someone guilty who later turned out to be innocent.

There is an assumption which is always made on this board that being anti the death penalty means that you are anti punishment. It is never the case. Those people who think this are generally those people who cannot see outside their own experiences.

Those people who we see rubbishing the difficulties of others as weakness or idleness; those people who are so so so sure that they are right that there is no room for compassion, empathy or understanding. Those people would have us live in a country where human rights are not fixed in law, but flexible to accommodate the political machinations of the government of the day depending on whether they like you or not, where the justice system is based on vengeance and not punishment or rehabilitation, where the sick, unemployed and children who need looked after by the state would be left to survive or die with no care or consideration.

What a lovely place this board is. A place where empathy and compassion are sneered at and ridiculed as weak and stupid. The voices of those who lean towards a better place are disappearing and I am glad its heading towards summer and I have more to occupy my mind and my time just now.

A word though, be careful what you wish for

I do not base my opposition to murdering murderers on avoidance of murdering the innocent. It doesn't deter according to statistics and experts. It can even increase the murder rate in some circumstances where possible witnesses are killed to avoid them giving evidence that would lead to a murderer's death. Murderers should be punished as squidge says but not by doing unto them what was done unto the deceased.

Murdering murderers is not the solution.

Now that we are free of the restrictive shackles of the EU, and given events in London over the last few months, can we now get some proper justice going? OK, not now needed for the London Bridge and Streatham loonies, but there's plenty others who would benefit from it. Or are we going to stand by for years to come and witness even more innocent members of the public get killed?

Well I once suffered the Death Penalty.......I missed as the keeper moved off his line

If China can knock up 2 hospitals with a combined capacity of 2500 beds in a couple of weeks, surely it's not beyond is to knock up some formidable prisons in the same time?

Some of Trumps spare border wall panels to form a double perimeter, round up all the countries divil dugs and keep them in between, machine gun towers every 50 yards and prison cells made of 20 foot shipping containers. Surely we could create that in a week? Mattress on the floor (Ikea Coventry might have some doing cheap?) and a chanty, and job done. No crim would want to do time again.

North Rona is in need of a population.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

And if it was your wife, husband, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother, father accused of murder but vehemently denied it? You happy to watch them dangle? How many have died innocent? How many have languished in prison innocently who would have dangled!

If it were my wife, husband, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother, father who was accused of murder, buy vehemently denied it and the irrefutable proof showed they were lying, then yes, they would have to dangle. If they don't, then someone else's wife, husband, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother, father may get murdered. Possibly by a newly released murderer, or by a "copy cat" or even someone who feels that the feeble jail sentences that are dished out these days are not enough to discourage them.

There are some people deserve the death penalty for sure, but I’m sure there are many that have met their end unjustified with a case in point being 10 Rillington Place with Timothy Evans facing the gallows while Mr Christie was the bad guy.
    What grinds my gears more is convicted killers that have admitted their guilt with no remorse and we have to pay to keep them in relative comfort for the rest of their lives.
    John Coffee should never have fried. (Only spelled different.)
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote, ‘TiS better that 10 Guilty men go free, than one Innocent man be hanged!
    ........Sir William Blackstone circa 1760.
    Same conclusion...Benjamin Franklin.

I don't think they had CCTV, video camera smartphones or bodycams in 1760

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast