Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A song that everyone can agree on is dreadful.

Default A song that everyone can agree on is dreadful.

Theres a lot of dreadful american rock music or american-inspired rock music out there that churns out plenty of stuff i would nominate-anything by Bullet For My Dying Chemical Lost Fallout Prophet type bands. They all seem to be ploughing the same furrow.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

There are a few stinkers out there - all of Miley Cyrus`s "work", anything by U2 period....but as for a particular song I`d plump for "How to save a life" by the fray - wretchworthy.

Nice choice.

Anything by Snow Patrol too. Not a fan of their dreary bricklaying.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Pretty much anything released after 1983 is worthless tosh, in my humble opinion.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

He he. I'd expect nothing less from The Gunslinger.

You do realise you are of course describing Stay Hungry as worthless tosh.

And Ride The Lightning. And Master of Puppets. And Powerslave. And Megadeth, though i do think Mustaine has the worthless tosh touch right enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo View Post
    There are a few stinkers out there - all of Miley Cyrus`s "work", anything by U2 period....but as for a particular song I`d plump for "How to save a life" by the fray - wretchworthy.
    I like miley cyrus BUT NOT IN THAT WAY!!!!!!.
    I also like the Fray as well so we cant go to a party together then can we????
    Most dreadful song would be anything before 1983 as that is the year metal grew some cohonas and was allowed out for the first time!!
    Seriously most awful song would be "Cotton eyed joe". or anything by Mr Big.

Anything, buy any band, that start their name with THE!

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    He he. I'd expect nothing less from The Gunslinger.

You do realise you are of course describing Stay Hungry as worthless tosh.

And Ride The Lightning. And Master of Puppets. And Powerslave. And Megadeth, though i do think Mustaine has the worthless tosh touch right enough.
    You'll notice the 'pretty much' caveat in my post.

I am particularly opposed to bands wherby the guitarist/ bassists feel the need to have the (out-of-tune) guitar located as close to their chin as possible, thus leading to the only strumming style possible left is a weird looking solid-armed swing from the elbow onwards. Exceptions to the rule in the high guitar position theory are guitarists who have proved their ability to actually play (Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Maiden etc)

This, combined with the distinct lack of overdrive on the amps for the entire song. This description of guitarist tends to fall into the same type of band the_big_mac would find worthy of being destroyed by Napalm.
    Last edited by moncur; 24-Jan-09 at 13:25. Reason: exception to the rule in my theory

Theres a lot of dreadful american rock music or american-inspired rock music out there that churns out plenty of stuff i would nominate-anything by Bullet For My Dying Chemical Lost Fallout Prophet type bands. They all seem to be ploughing the same furrow.
    To a certain degree I agree, I despise MCR. Fall Out Boy... despite being junk, write very catchy pop songs. I can see why they are despised(not a fan btw). Lost Prophets are a bit meh, sometimes I think they have potential to be better, but they just don't do it.

Bullet For My Valentine get a lot of stick for being pansy metal, but they can play. I think it's because they are Welsh... They should rename themselves Bullet For My Jones, then people would understand why all their songs are about sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo View Post
    anything by U2 period...
    YUS! Someone else who thinks they suck!

Megadeth are baws...

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Anything, by any band, that start their name with THE!
    Even THE Metallica? THE Pantera? THE Rage Against The Machine? THE Machine Head?

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    I am particularly opposed to bands wherby the guitarist/ bassists feel the need to have the (out-of-tune) guitar located as close to their chin as possible, thus leading to the only strumming style possible left is a weird looking solid-armed swing from the elbow onwards. Exceptions to the rule in the high guitar position theory are guitarists who have proved their ability to actually play (Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Maiden etc)
    Kirk Hammett? Come ashore, have you heard him play live lately? Turn the wah wah on, twiddle. He's decent, but his time has passed. His ability, like Lars' ability on the drums, has diminished over the years

I didn't realise that where someone held their guitar was related to ability though. Surely going by your logic in that post, the lower you hold your guitar... the better you are?(exceptions to the rule of course) Jesus... I couldn't saved upsetting a few ears if I'd known that.

Worked for The Beatles...

This, combined with the distinct lack of overdrive on the amps for the entire song. This description of guitarist tends to fall into the same type of band the_big_mac would find worthy of being destroyed by Napalm.
    Overdrive also makes you better too?

Must go adjust the length of my strap and turn the overdrive up to 11...

I think the current crop of indie-type bands moncur alluded to are interesting, or not, because they really seem to be struggling to play their instruments. Whether they have their guitars high up or not they're bloody boring and instrumentally at high school band level. I really should just ignore chart music beause I enjoy hearing someone who can really play and most of what i like whether it's Focus, Slayer or Cheap Trick is in that vein.

On the flipside of that the ramones werent great players but were probably the most high-octane pop band ever. A distinct lack of energy and fun abounds in guitar bands these days. Except the wildhearts who are textbook.

Bullet for my boyo's!

.but as for a particular song I`d plump for "How to save a life" by the fray - wretchworthy.[/quote]

Good call but not the one im goin for

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    I like miley cyrus BUT NOT IN THAT WAY!!!!!!.
    I also like the Fray as well so we cant go to a party together then can we????
    Most dreadful song would be anything before 1983 as that is the year metal grew some cohonas and was allowed out for the first time!!
    Seriously most awful song would be "Cotton eyed joe". or anything by Mr Big.

Looks like the partys off hotrod....unless of course the venue is Skins where "cotton eye joe" is still considered de rigueur

Being a Paul Gilbert fan I`d have to question the Mr Big - how can any guitarist not appreciate the intro to colorado bulldog??....sextuplets anyone

Usually Id say anything by phill collins for a thread like this , & today ....well it isnt any different- I stick by my guns ,I can feel it comin in the Air tonight by un-funky phillip would be right up there for dreadful in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post

I didn't realise that where someone held their guitar was related to ability though. Surely going by your logic in that post, the lower you hold your guitar... the better you are?(exceptions to the rule of course) Jesus... I couldn't saved upsetting a few ears if I'd known that.

Overdrive also makes you better too?

Must go adjust the length of my strap and turn the overdrive up to 11...
    Yeah I'm thinking the same... although by this logic doesn't that mean that Tom DeLonge is the best guitarist in the Universe?! :s
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Haha... very true!

I think all the kids will have their straps on full length now

How low can you go?

PAW SOME SHOOOGAR AWN MEEEEEEEEEEEE!

He was a good guitar player before he drank himself to death. He looks like Pablo in this pic.

First two albums are still great. They're now peddling drek to the same constituency that buys bon jovi albums. Vivian Campbell is a treacherous swine for disowning his time with Dio.

Agreed.

Saw a youtube clip of Dio really ripping on Campbell to some fans at a signing session. Dio called him all sorts of unsavoury words, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to search youtube for that clip. No sir-ee. no sir-ee at all.

As for the Lepps, I'd add the third album to the list of acceptable fare, if you don't mind mate. Pyromania was a groundbreaker, and the first time that those huge backing vocals were apparent. The thing that made Pyromania better than Hysteria was the abundance of proper rock songs as a base for the fledgling studio gloss. Think 'rock song with gloss added' rather than 'gloss slapped all over rock song' and you'll maybe understand.

Dr Alban "Its my life" would be another contender for worst song.
    I used to like the lep until every song had the same drum beat,thats when I lost interest in them. Decent guitars though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast