Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: taxed for refuse collection

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy
    Taxing the waste does not solve the problem, the problem is unnecessary packaging provided by the food suppliers – how much of the “waste” you dispose of is actual waste, and how much is discarded packaging? Bring back the milk bottle for a start.
    And the pop bottle, used te get money back when returning them
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass
    And the pop bottle, used te get money back when returning them
    i mind going round the grandparents to see if they had empties so i could get a few pennies.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

In addition to recycling paper, cans and garden cuttings via the usual boxes we regularly recycle glass and cardboard to the centre in Thurso. We keep our bottles in those stackable boxes while cardboard is 'tetris'd into the largest box to make it easy to transport.

We take the kids along to the centre and let them sort the bottles & jars into different colours, then make a game of getting them to put the glass into the right holes.

I know they take wood, shoes and clothing but wasn't aware of facilities for plastic bottles - I'll take a closer look next time I'm in.

I agree that manufacturers should be made more accountable - especially for the use of that horrible messy stuff polystyrene. At least if they used shaped recycled cardboard (as some admittedly do) then it too could be recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by obiron
    i mind going round the grandparents to see if they had empties so i could get a few pennies.
    You really were honest. What happened to nicking them from the back of the shop and then taking them round to the front for the refund?
    No that's what I call real recycling!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123