Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: travel to Inverness on December 26

Default travel to Inverness on December 26

I've just discovered that there's no bus service from Wick on Dec. 26. I have a relative who needs to be in Inverness that day to catch a flight to Amsterdam. I'm a non driving senior, other than a taxi, anyone got any other ideas on how to get down there? What would be a taxi fare? Thanks for any sensible suggestions.

Since there are no trains on that day he/she will have to try and get a lift from a friend or relative!

I imagine a taxi will be well over £150.

Does he/she have a contingency plan for if the weather is too bad for car?

Had to get a taxi from Inverness train station to just outside Lybster ( train company paid !) The cost was £180. Worth bearing in mind that Dec 26th will probably be charged at a higher rate.

Might be cheaper to change the flight ...

I agree it would be a lot cheaper to change the flight as on the 26th Dec the Taxi fare could be 3 times to normal rate and could be anything from £500 to £600. Silly amount of money but it is Boxing Day.

Does your friend drive, if so Hire a Car perhaps.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I agree cheaper to change flight a taxi will cost you an arm and a leg also you dont state what time your friends flight is this will also be taken into account as if early roads could be icy and taxi drivers must look after them selves and no rush to get your friend to inverness airport.

What time is the flight? I'm catching the Easyjet flight to Bristol that day and will be driving down - but I'm in North Sutherland and would normally go straight down the strath, coming round via Wick would add nearly an hour to the journey. If you could get your relative to Helmsdale, I could meet him/her there if the times match up.

I'll give your relative a lift for £150
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Default Thanks to all

ticket now changed and bus trip booked. thanks for the replies.