Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noble View Post
    What Tesco have done is decide not to build in Thurso, and not to do anything about tidying up the site. To the best of my knowledge not one of the people currently trying to engage with Tesco for the benefit of the whole of Thurso can get any response from them.

Why you feel the need for petty name calling at every opportunity is quite beyond me.

What would you like to see happen to the site?

Do you think it enhances the environment of Thurso to have such an eyesore?
    I dont recall calling anyone names.
    I dont think the current arrangement is any worse than the abandoned buildings and derelict house that was on the site for many years previously.
    If it no longer makes good business sense for Tesco to build on the site then that is their call.
    if you think the funds are available at the moment to construct a combined sport, leisure and theatre facility then fair play, however considering Thurso will be a ghost town in the next 10 to 15 years, I dont think your wishlist is viable for one second.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I dont recall calling anyone names.
    I dont think the current arrangement is any worse than the abandoned buildings and derelict house that was on the site for many years previously.
    If it no longer makes good business sense for Tesco to build on the site then that is their call.
    if you think the funds are available at the moment to construct a combined sport, leisure and theatre facility then fair play, however considering Thurso will be a ghost town in the next 10 to 15 years, I dont think your wishlist is viable for one second.
    Thanks for the response mi16, I respect you far more for doing so than for just making the cheap comments.

The condems?

That is name calling, I am a Liberal Democrat. I am nothing to do with the conservative party.

As to your other points, I can certainly understand your point of view, I do not agree with any of them, but you are most certainly entitled to air them. It is so much better when you deal with issues rather than just cheap gibes.

Thanks for the response mi16, I respect you far more for doing so than for just making the cheap comments.

The condems?

That is name calling, I am a Liberal Democrat. I am nothing to do with the conservative party.
    Oh come on Nick...the ConDems is the name given to the Coalition Govt in Westminster, surely you must know that and I dont see it as name calling, rather a name to keep the typing short. Similar to LibDems and you dont have any problems with that shortened version of a name do you?
    I, like many others, will have nothing to do with anyone who goes under the banner of Liberals anymore. They have proved time and again that they wont stick to their promises as outlined in their manifesto. But as Nick Clegg said today, he is enjoying his time in Govt and I should think he is. Not counting the extra £'s in his pay packet, being the deputy PM is like winning the lottery when you haven't even bought a ticket.
    He has sold his party and his supporters down the river and it's the likes of you who are going to feel the backlash of this.
    Nobody could have done more to get Scotland independence than the likes of Clegg and Alexander. They did the SNP a very big favour when they got in bed with the Tories, as I have said previously, you would have done better going Independent rather than rely on Lord Thurso for support. The link is there for all to see..............Noble> Lord Thurso> LibDems> Tories> ConDems> We are not all in this together!!!!!!!!

C3.............
    Last edited by Corrie 3; 18-Apr-12 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    ..............Noble> Lord Thurso> LibDems> Tories> ConDems> We are not all in this together!!!!!!!!

C3.
    And Eck and his cronies are not Tartan Tories??? Aye right!!!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    And Eck and his cronies are not Tartan Tories??? Aye right!!!!
    They may be Tartan Tories but they may not even win the election when the first Scottish General Election is held, & I presume immediately as I can't see how they would have the mandate to continue in power after Independence without fresh elections. That's the time to get rid of them. For now lets just concentrate on getting away from the English Tories.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I'm sure I read that you defended Clegg's decision to get into bed with the tories though.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    They may be Tartan Tories but they may not even win the election when the first Scottish General Election is held, & I presume immediately as I can't see how they would have the mandate to continue in power after Independence without fresh elections. That's the time to get rid of them. For now lets just concentrate on getting away from the English Tories.
    I assume that any other party that gets in after the SNP (and in the event that independence is declared) will immediately start moves to re-establish the Union?
    Last edited by ducati; 19-Apr-12 at 10:21.

heres hoping that the union is not broken at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I assume that any other party that gets in after the SNP (and in the event that independence is declared) will immediately start moves to re-establish the Union?
    If the Scottish people decide by referendum to go down the Independence route then would it not be political suicide to disrespect that decision?
    The best option for all parties would be to accept the decision & work with it to make the best Independent Scotland possible.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    If the Scottish people decide by referendum to go down the Independence route then would it not be political suicide to disrespect that decision?
    The best option for all parties would be to accept the decision & work with it to make the best Independent Scotland possible.
    Good luck with that.

The Groat confirms my claim that Tesco have retrenched. I was told that they are cutting their new build by 40% rather than the 'more than a third' stated by the Groat. I could see this coming three years ago. Unfortunately.......http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...n-19042012.htm

and yet they are looking to build a new store in Aviemore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-17783296

I'm sure I saw on the news that the chief guy down at Tesco was saying that there will be less store building and more emphasis on online shopping.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

and yet they are looking to build a new store in Aviemore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-17783296
    Aviemore is a growing population Nick, have you not seen all the new houses for the white settlers down there?

Unlike Thurso which is a dying town, you cant blame anyone for not wanting to invest in Thurso can you?

Lets face it, online shopping is the only way for us as we cant afford the time and fuel to go to Inverness every week can we?

C3....................

I'm with crayola here, Tesco never had any intention to build another store up here. And unless there is some massive influx of peeps it isn't going to change.
    Wick has been underperforming so they ain't gonna spend more money on another store that will only split the under target revenue they already have.

From Jan '10:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I don't think the tills at Wick tesco are ringing as often and as loud as they expected.
    Tesco's know that another superstore in Thurso will only detract from Wick's takings without bringing in an awful lot more.

I think Tesco's main aim was always to keep Asda out of the area. But they will have plans to build a new store if and when they have to. Their current store in Thurso is small and miserable and they will want to improve on that, plus they can take customers away from their rivals by selling petrol and diesel more cheaply than their rivals can. I support Nick's attempt to call their bluff. Disclaimer: I don't shop at Tesco or Asda. I'm a Waitrose and Sainsbury's girl.
    Last edited by crayola; 23-Apr-12 at 16:36.

Well, perhaps too little too late, but communication has been re-established with Tesco, perhaps they have noticed that virtually every candidate in the forthcoming elections have the issue of the old mart site firmly in their sights. Admittedly it really does not say much, but it is slightly better that the deafening silence that has gone before:

-------- Original Message --------
    RE: New Tesco store promised for Thurso, Caithness
    Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:33:49 +0100
    Coats, Gloria
    Nick Noble <[email protected]>

Hi Nick,
    Thank you for your email. I hope to be able to provide an update on our plans soon.
    With regard to the state of the site at the moment, we undertook work before Christmas to replace the fencing around the site which had been damaged by the strong winds, but we plan to undertake further works to upgrade the fencing and tidy the site.
    Best regards
    Gloria

Gloria Coats
    Corporate Affairs Manager
    Corporate & Legal Affairs | Tesco plc

I always thought Asda didnt want that site, they wanted to build at Burnside or not atall ? with the big store in wick and already having a store in Thurso, it won't be a high priority

Quote "but we plan to undertake further works to upgrade the fencing and tidy the site" unquote

Seems they have no plans to build anything then!

Tesco will have detailed designs for their store at the former mart but they can sit on them for years if we let them. They have done already......

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast