Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Heard someone saying today that this was going to be the most environmentally unfriendly Tesco yet. They are putting up windmills to convert electricity INTO wind...

guess Tesco getting the go for their new market is all political (and maybe corruption?) - can't see politicians nowadays really voting for what the people want who voted for them ...

Default Asda

It has been said on this site that it may be better if Asda was here...did anyone see 'Watchdog' last thursday? Asda was getting 'seven bells knocked out of them' because of their delivery setup, it seems they've been 'adding on' unordered items and of course charging for them. I also personaly know of one such person who has been sent £13 worth of 'out of date' goods. On contacting ASDA four times there still has been no reply..... SO be careful wwhat you wish for, just a warning then, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Was at the Thurso railway station this afternoon - noticed a lot of diggers and machinery on the site and what looks like erecting red-painted upright girders?
    I looked closely today, sadly they are girders from the building they are demolishing. Used to be a backpackers hostel?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I looked closely today, sadly they are girders from the building they are demolishing. Used to be a backpackers hostel?
    Oh well never mind; wishful thinking
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
    It has been said on this site that it may be better if Asda was here...did anyone see 'Watchdog' last thursday? Asda was getting 'seven bells knocked out of them' because of their delivery setup, it seems they've been 'adding on' unordered items and of course charging for them. I also personaly know of one such person who has been sent £13 worth of 'out of date' goods. On contacting ASDA four times there still has been no reply..... SO be careful wwhat you wish for, just a warning then, ok.
    It depends on where you live. ASDA delivery is good in this area and certainly better than the shambles that Sainsbury's run. But believe it or not, by far the best around here is Tesco.

I haven't heard any news of Tesco's progress for a long time.

What's happening on the old Mart site this year? Have they demolished the buildings and secured the site against the ghosts of sheepies past? Is any passer-by with an Asda carrier bag dragged through the fence and re-educated by every little yelps.

They cleared the site but all heavy machinery was moved out during the Christmas holidays. I've not seen any movement there this month - has anyone else?

Thanks for the update goll.

If Tesco aren't going to build in the forseeable future perhaps I could establish the Caithness and Sutherland School of Witchcraft on the site. It's so close to the high school and North Highland College that we could share facilities.

CSSW
    Last edited by crayola; 23-Jan-11 at 16:14.

Is there any construction activity from Tesco on Ormlie Road yet?

None that I can see.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Far from being childish it is a proven fact that in other areas Tesco have landbanked to keep competitors out. While this may not be certain in the Thurso case it is certainly not to be dismissed with such silly comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    Far from being childish it is a proven fact that in other areas Tesco have landbanked to keep competitors out. While this may not be certain in the Thurso case it is certainly not to be dismissed with such silly comment.
    Totally agree Cattach though can,t think of a site anywhere else in the north that Tesco have acquired and taken so long to build on.Cannot see them ever building as they appear to be quite content with a small store in Thurso and a larger one in Wick,.Build a larger one in Thurso which will stop all the people coming through to Wick and that one will run at a loss along with the new one.Don,t think Caithness could support two large Tesco stores.
    Now if it was Asda!!!!!!!!!!!!! wishful thinking.Ah well it is not to far to Tain.

Ah...

"If only we had an Asda/bigger Tescos/high speed rail link/less incomers/more flights/no ugly people/dual carriageway to Inverness/hover underpants....."

It would be grand, wouldn't it?

....Wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    The whole of the bottom of Pennyland estate was against it as were many in the Burnside estates and it was against the local plan. The politics was a long shot and they lost. Or hadn't you noticed?

It's a complex issue whether or not you appreciate that.
    Those against were people who bought their Dounreay houses at knock down prices and then wanted to keep evryone else out. Also one house was being sold by someone with an interest in a refusal to develp and another person on the council living in Burnside voted too. Democracy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    Those against were people who bought their Dounreay houses at knock down prices and then wanted to keep evryone else out. Also one house was being sold by someone with an interest in a refusal to develp and another person on the council living in Burnside voted too. Democracy!!!
    Do you own a pitchfork?

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. Special thanks to those that sent information privately.

I wouldn't like Asda in front of my house if I lived at the bottom of Pennyland. The view from there is special and it should be preserved. Asda would be in Thurso by now if they'd gone along with the local plan and applied to build near BT. Blame Asda not your former elected representatives and not your neighbours.

Out-of-galaxy supermarkets are the new big thing here and I shop in Andromeda nowadays.
    Last edited by crayola; 12-Jun-11 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Backpackers Hostel??? News to me.

No it wasn't lol, there used to be a largish (5' x 4' IIRC) painted wooden board up advertising Sandra's Backpackers Hostel many moons ago. I'm sure this is what Duke will have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    No it wasn't lol, there used to be a largish (5' x 4' IIRC) painted wooden board up advertising Sandra's Backpackers Hostel many moons ago. I'm sure this is what Duke will have seen.
    Yep that is what I did see.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast