Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etiquette for the beach??

Default dogs

My dogs are usually off the lead but when i see other dogs approatching i call them in to heel until the other dogs have passed. I can usually tell if the other dog/dogs are friendly enough .My dogs are small and are usually thretend by larger dogs plus one of them have been attacked ,so can totally understand that people are concernd but no need to be rude about it just a simple explanation would have done

in my opinion, i wouldnt take my dog to the beach if it wasnt sociable with other dogs nor would i go if i didnt like or want dogs around me!

obviously anyone can use the beach when they want but there will 9/10 times be a dog there!

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    Whilst I've never complained about a strange dog running upto my dogs I'm afraid it's one thing that does bug me, one of my dogs used to not get along with strange dogs and if another dog would approach him, he would certainly try to fight with it, he would be on a lead the moment other dogs were on the beach but I would also have another 2-3 dogs walking at heal with me, and trying to control all of them when one strange dog albeit innocently joins in is not easy I certainly would appreciate if dog owners didn't let there dogs run upto other dogs no matter how friendly they are the others may not be, can I ask if your dog was a small breed dog would you be so happy with it running upto much larger strange dogs where it could be seriously injured within seconds?
    Dog should be kept on lead in public places. I have a small breed dog and this is a huge fear of mine that he will be injured by a larger dog who is off lead. My dog is always on lead and gets very uncomfortable when he is being sniffed at by a dog who is off lead and boisterous.

Or go up to Ormlie , straight past the shop turnoff to the dead end. Theres access to Wolfburn Moor right there.

As far as the dogs on beach etiquette goes, if there are other dogs on the beach, the lead stays on, unless you have guaranteed control of him to keep him close by. You can't assume the other dogs ( or owners !) are going to react well to your dog.
    Owning a dog comes with it's own responsibilities.
    They're not simply " pets " .
    Last edited by Dog-eared; 06-Mar-11 at 23:15.

Thanks for all the advice, we have taken it on board.

We checked out Naver yesterday, and it was a brilliant walk - and as no other dogs around, we were able to let Jake run free.

On the beach, he is on the lead unless it is empty.
    We child proofed the house..... but they keep getting in!

I have 3 young children who are scared of dogs so I believe that dogs should be on leads in public places especially beaches and the forest etc and I do believe this is the law. They used to be fine with dogs until they were on a beach and there was 2 large dogs running around not under the control of their owners. The dogs were running towards them and we picked the kids up as the dogs were large. The dogs proceeded to jump up at my husband and I whilst we were holding the kids in our arms. The owners, who were some distance behind were shouting at the dogs but the dogs taken no heed. Eventually they got them under control but that has remained in my kids memory now whenever they see dogs off their leads they become anxious and I don't blame them!!! Everyone says their dog is friendly but no-one knows 100%. Also, it scares me when people give their dogs toys like dolls or teddies and the dogs are shaking these - who knows what the next step will be if a small child is holding a teddy. A dog may not bite a kid but the speed some of them are running around on the beach could easily knock a child over if the dog were to run into it. We hardly go to the forest now as any time we have been there have been large dogs running around off leads with the owners trailling behind - so irresponsible and selfish!
    Last edited by jinglejangle; 07-Mar-11 at 10:40. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by jinglejangle View Post
    I have 3 young children who are scared of dogs so I believe that dogs should be on leads in public places especially beaches and the forest etc and I do believe this is the law. They used to be fine with dogs until they were on a beach and there was 2 large dogs running around not under the control of their owners. The dogs were running towards them and we picked the kids up as the dogs were large. The dogs proceeded to jump up at my husband and I whilst we were holding the kids in our arms. The owners, who were some distance behind were shouting at the dogs but the dogs taken no heed. Eventually they got them under control but that has remained in my kids memory now whenever they see dogs off their leads they become anxious and I don't blame them!!! Everyone says their dog is friendly but no-one knows 100%. Also, it scares me when people give their dogs toys like dolls or teddies and the dogs are shaking these - who knows what the next step will be if a small child is holding a teddy. A dog may not bite a kid but the speed some of them are running around on the beach could easily knock a child over if the dog were to run into it. We hardly go to the forest now as any time we have been there have been large dogs running around off leads with the owners trailling behind - so irresponsible and selfish!
    Your experience is unfortunate, you are obviously now afraid of dogs and I cannot think of anything more irresponsible or selfish than allowing your children to grow up with that in built fear, the best thing you could do for your children is allow them a family pet, a dog of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaymcc View Post
    Well then, in light of the last few posts, should all dogs be on the lead in a public place at all times then?
    I don't think you need to do that, Lindsay. Your dog is young. You just need to work on his recall untill it is consistent, even in the face of exiting dogsto say hello to. Avoiding populated beaches untill then will help in training him. You might also try training classes. Once his recall is good, you will feel more comfortable with him off the leash.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

My sister who has three big dogs has taken to walking with a big stick because she has found that other people let their dogs off the lead and her dogs can't properly defend themselves whilst on the lead (one of hers is a Siberian husky and she had to sign a contract to say he would always be kept on the lead because they apparently get something called wander-lust). Personally, I'm terrified of all three of them!!! She has only had to use the stick once as having it in her hand is usually enough of a deterrent to loose dogs.

And for those of you who are wondering how she manages to walk three big dogs and carry a stick - good point!!! She has a special belt that the leads attach to - so she's sort of on a lead too!!!!!
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by The Music Monster View Post
    My sister who has three big dogs has taken to walking with a big stick because she has found that other people let their dogs off the lead and her dogs can't properly defend themselves whilst on the lead (one of hers is a Siberian husky and she had to sign a contract to say he would always be kept on the lead because they apparently get something called wander-lust). Personally, I'm terrified of all three of them!!! She has only had to use the stick once as having it in her hand is usually enough of a deterrent to loose dogs.

And for those of you who are wondering how she manages to walk three big dogs and carry a stick - good point!!! She has a special belt that the leads attach to - so she's sort of on a lead too!!!!!
    Sounds like a recipe for dangling up a tree from three dogs You know, squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by jinglejangle View Post
    I am so so sorry your kids had such a horrible experience which has left them with this fear. Irresponsible owners like the ones you experienced really annoy me and all they come back with is 'oh but they are just over friendly' - that is a disgraceful response from people too lazy to train their dogs.

I really wish you would try to introduce your kids to friendly dogs of a friend or someone you know to try and get past the fear, I think kids can gain so much pleasure from interacting with friendly, well behaved dogs. I have two huge monsters and my neices love sitting on the breakfast bar shouting commands at them, and the dogs answer as they are trained well.

Just an idea, I hope this experience has not tarnished your opinion of the few responsible dog owners out there who do take this responsibility very seriously.

Lindsay
    I have sent you a pm
    celebrate the one life we have

we have a springer.. and quite often have him off lead at the beach.. but we do put him on lead when coming up towards people or other dogs, just in case that the people/dogs do not like other dogs.
    this is a really good way to help train your dog as they will soon learn when to come and sit for you and how things have to be. they will also learn that the lead is not a bad thing, and that they will soon be off it again as soon as it is safe to be so.
    http://itqueries.com/

Ooops forgot my manners on the beach!
    Poppy dog on the leash until we got to a quiet bit, then off the leash...having a nice picnic with the kids..saw 2 horses so Poppy dog went back on the leash until they passed ..and back on the leash when they passed again...then on the way back I couldnt find the leash to pop it back on her when we got near the entrance to the beach but she obeys me so just used her recall of close..stay close..but if the leash wasnt at the bottom of the buggy under all the wet clothes, towels and picnic stuff she would normally be on the leash then as well.
    Not because I dont trust her behaviour, but, because I dont trust other dogs I dont know towards her.
    But thinking more about it...what would I actually do if another dog attacked her?
    I had the buggy with Euan in it and Iona on my shoulders and Lauren dancing around ...
    Probably drop the lead and remove the kids from the situation first...

prob. same as me .. grab kids and dog jerk them all back.. scream bloody murder and if attacking dog still coming towards you to get to poppy dog.. kick it as hard as you can while saying many bad words!
    i have a great fight or flight instinct.. but i tend to get really defensive and aggressive when the kids are involved.
    http://itqueries.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12