Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Railway Fatality

Default Railway Fatality

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I am trying to find details of a fatality on the Wick-Lybster railway line. It happened on 1st November 1930, and a young boy called William Bartlett was killed when he was struck by a train on the line.

I have a newspaper article with some limited details, but I was wondering if there may have been an inquiry into the incident, and if so, where would I be able to research it.

I assume it would have gone to the Procurator Fiscal, or something similar, so if anyone can offer any advice I would be very greatful.

Thank you,
    Steven

Hi Steven

As far as Im aware there are no coroners records available for Caithness. However, if there was an inquest it may be noted on the death certificate as part of a Corrected Entry.

It's worth contacting the registrar or Register House in Edinburgh, the local registrars are very friendly!

Hope this helps a little, good luck
    Indexing and Genealogical Research Services
    www.caithnessroots.com
    Artwork - http://elviratsquirrel.redbubble.com

Default Railway Fatality

Sage,

Thanks for the advice.

There was an entry in the "Register of Corrected Entries" in relation to the death certificate of the young boy, but I thought maybe there may have been a record of the actual investigation.

If it turns out their isn't, then that's the way things go sometimes. I will try contacting the records office in Edinburgh on the off-chance there may be something to find.

Thanks again for your help,
    Steven

no probs good luck
    Indexing and Genealogical Research Services
    www.caithnessroots.com
    Artwork - http://elviratsquirrel.redbubble.com