Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wick High School - Site debate (merged threads)

I honestly think that most people believe that they don't, or won't, have a say. Probably part of this so-called "nanny state", thats most definitely encroached upon society's belief in its ability to make decisions for itself. I was thinking about this the other day and when I initially heard the media going on about it, I thought it was a load of rubbish. Now I'm not so sure.
    Government, including local government, is so centralised that I think we're all guilty of sitting back and assuming that what we think doesn't matter. But it does!!! As for the parents of pupils, it's the ones that don't normally turn up to meetings that need to be there; not the usual clique of cronies and whingers.
    Sorry I got on my high horse
    Away and haunt a hoose

Is the Academy idea going to be available in Scotland? Central Funding for communities that wish to run there own schools and take them out of local council control.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    Why are you so against building a new school in the Bignold? I suspect that you may have an alternative interest in this site. Have the people of West Banks/Hood Street/Newton Road been asked their opinion on where the school should go. I suspect not.
    I have ZERO interest in the site. What the hell does the mention of West Banks etc have to do with anything? They have had the current school since when? What difference will it make to them if it moves slightly further away?

I am against the Bignold Park as a site, because I don't think it needs to be built there. Surely it is common sense to build where there is no dispute and where a swift conclusion can be reached to minimise disruption. More to the point, YOU explain why it HAS to be built at the Bignold Park? I am still waiting for a decent response as to why the Bignold is the only option. What I have heard put forward so far has had the whiff of the finest compost.

Quote Originally Posted by glaikit View Post
    I honestly think that most people believe that they don't, or won't, have a say. Probably part of this so-called "nanny state", thats most definitely encroached upon society's belief in its ability to make decisions for itself. I was thinking about this the other day and when I initially heard the media going on about it, I thought it was a load of rubbish. Now I'm not so sure.
    Government, including local government, is so centralised that I think we're all guilty of sitting back and assuming that what we think doesn't matter. But it does!!! As for the parents of pupils, it's the ones that don't normally turn up to meetings that need to be there; not the usual clique of cronies and whingers.
    Sorry I got on my high horse
    I don't think your on your high horse as I think you have some valid points about the meetings and parents and that Wick High does it's best in the environment it has had for the pupils.
    I've been trying to keep up with all the stuff about the new school but I did wonder if they build it on Bignold Park what happens to the old buildings.
    Also if they are just scraping enough to build a new school on a new location will they have money to knock the old buildings down and make tidy the site. That's the only question I want to know about so I'm going to go to the thing in Assembly rooms, providing I can get time off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    In all fairness to the councillors who were present at the stakeholders meeting offered to have the decision which is due to be made at Augusts full council meeting delayed Not by long, as time is money and inflation will start to eat into whatever money is set aside for the project.The longer they take to decide to start the build no matter where its going to be the less distance that same money will stretch also many things can happen change of political climate government and the money which is not yet in the bank may never appear.
    This meeting was the Parent Council, not the Stakeholders Group. The "offer" to delay the final decision to September came from Bill Fernie in answer to the question: "Why has so little time been left between the public consultation and the final decision on the site"? I'd say we have had enough delays already, especially those created by HRC.

Promises have been made to "consult with the public" as far back as December, in the press, at meetings and in correspondence by HRC and local councillors, by Councillor MacNab in particular. Nothing has ever been arranged. The only people who were invited by HRC to be involved in the process, the Stakeholders Group, had requests for meetings ignored and had no contact from HRC between January and the end of May. The promised feasability study never materialised. Requests by the Parent Council and the Stakeholders to look at the plans that were shown to the Community Council and the school staff, have been denied. The only group who made the effort to consult the public is the Parent Council, with the postcard survey and they have been slated in the press for doing so by our local councillors.

Officials and councillors have been shouting from the rooftops about the need for everyone to work together to make this new school a reality. Pity they didn't practice what they preach.

Speaking of delays, I wonder why the councillors went out of their way to remind those present, that the last time there was a public protest over a proposed project in the Bignold Park, it took TEN years to reach a conclusion. I'll leave it up to you to decide what their hidden messsage was there.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...t_goes_on.html
    Last edited by Venture; 20-Jun-10 at 13:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    This meeting was Parent Council, not the Stakeholders Group. The "offer" to delay the final decision to September came from Bill Fernie in answer to the question: "Why has so little time been left between the public consultation and the final decision on the site"? I'd say we have had enough delays already, especially those created by HRC.

Promises have been made to "consult with the public" as far back as December, in the press, at meetings and in correspondence by HRC and local councillors, by Councillor MacNab in particular. Nothing has ever been arranged. The only people who were invited by HRC to be involved in the process, the Stakeholders Group, had requests for meetings ignored and had no contact from HRC between January and the end of May. The promised feasability study never materialised. Requests by the Parent Council and the Stakeholders to look at the plans that were shown to the Community Council and the school staff, have been denied. The only group who made the effort to consult the public is the Parent Council, with the postcard survey and they have been slated in the press for doing so by our local councillors.

Officials and councillors have been shouting from the rooftops about the need for everyone to work together to make this new school a reality. Pity they didn't practice what they preach.

Speaking of delays, I wonder why the councillors went out of their way to remind those present, that the last time there was a public protest over a proposed project in the Bignold Park, it took TEN years to reach a conclusion. I'll leave it up to you to decide what their hidden messsage was there.
    My apologies it was the Parent council meeting and not the stakeholders meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    In all fairness to the councillors who were present at the stakeholders meeting offered to have the decision which is due to be made at Augusts full council meeting delayed Not by long, as time is money and inflation will start to eat into whatever money is set aside for the project.The longer they take to decide to start the build no matter where its going to be the less distance that same money will stretch also many things can happen change of political climate government and the money which is not yet in the bank may never appear.

There is little for point in weighing Net Present Values in HRC project documents here.... The current economic climate will entertain a 6 month delay to this project quite easily, getting a credible solution should come first.

Quote Originally Posted by wickscorrie View Post
    I have heard that if a new school was to be built on the Bignold Park there would be Four new drained football pitches constructed at the High School.The pitches would have lighting installed as well and the all weather facility would also be there.It has also been mentioned that changeing facilities would also be provided ?.

Carrots that never materialise once HRC gets its way....

Prof Baikie was asked to head this issue up in the media and as such should be the proime source of guidance. An online poll could be conducted more formally on the JOG website to gauge public opinion in an unbiassed environment. All the grannies are getting online these days so it would be a good opportunity to get the generations involved.

I think Prof Baikie should have his way endof.

Agree with you Florence, let the prof lead the way.
    And lets make sure we don't have any more ill-informed threads with 'Lets stop the Highland Council...' in the title - it makes us collectively look like dimwits fighting against our own council trying to build us a new school.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    I might go myself. And I hope we have to fight to find a seat. And thank you for your concern.
    So do you want me to keep a seat for you then Tubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    So do you want me to keep a seat for you then Tubs?
    Kids all grown up and gone away, don't live in Wick, wasn't educated in Wick, hubbie isn't even from here... would you want to sit near me??
    If I could add anything to the plan I wouldn't mind getting involved, but I expect I'd be viewed with suspicion followed by derision.
    I am just a neep after all!

Agree with you Florence, let the prof lead the way.
    And lets make sure we don't have any more ill-informed threads with 'Lets stop the Highland Council...' in the title - it makes us collectively look like dimwits fighting against our own council trying to build us a new school.
    I think you will find that "the prof" is AGAINST the idea of using the Bignold Park as a site. Isn't that what this thread is all about? You talk about us looking like dimwits fighting against our own council trying to build us a new school. I can't talk for everyone, but as far as I can see there is no objection to a new school, just an objection to where it is being proposed to be built. I have seen some of the reasons put forward for the Bignold being the best option but I am not convinced by it. As I have pointed out already, the specifications look the same as summarised in the paper for next weeks drop in session. That six lane pool you mention on another thread is listed for BOTH sites, so what is your point there? I have also read that HRC's David Sutherland has said that West Banks is always going to be a bottleneck. Funny, that this fact didn't stop me or any of my fellow pupils from getting to the school every day. Lord forbid that our kids had to walk a bit further to school and actually get some more of that exercise we are always hearing they are badly lacking today. Next they will be telling us that the street has shrunk since my days at Wick High, no doubt due to Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Funny, that this fact didn't stop me or any of my fellow pupils from getting to the school every day. Lord forbid that our kids had to walk a bit further to school and actually get some more of that exercise we are always hearing they are badly lacking today. Next they will be telling us that the street has shrunk since my days at Wick High, no doubt due to Global Warming
    Aye, back in 'e day...
    Sorry, I didn't mean to drag Prof Baikie into the Bignold part of the debate. The most appropriate site should be chosen, that's obvious. But if that's the Bignold Park, what's the problem?
    But look at yourselves on here: the opportunity for a brand new facility, top notch school to replace the broken wreck you have, with a competition standard pool, a library and a performance centre, and youse are falling over yourselves to put conditions on it, argue about where its to go and what it's to contain! And there's history, the same thing happened with your all-weather pitch!!
    Do youse care nothing for your kids or your town? Do you know how it looks to an outsider??
    Aye, back in 'e day...

Aye, back in 'e day...
    Sorry, I didn't mean to drag Prof Baikie into the Bignold part of the debate. The most appropriate site should be chosen, that's obvious. But if that's the Bignold Park, what's the problem?
    But look at yourselves on here: the opportunity for a brand new facility, top notch school to replace the broken wreck you have, with a competition standard pool, a library and a performance centre, and youse are falling over yourselves to put conditions on it, argue about where its to go and what it's to contain! And there's history, the same thing happened with your all-weather pitch!!
    Do youse care nothing for your kids or your town? Do you know how it looks to an outsider??
    Aye, back in 'e day...
    I think you're in broadcast mode Tubs and should reel your neck in. Have a read of Scorrie's post again; s/he's entirely reasonable in what he's saying. And using emotional blackmail to try to silence the community's views by insinuating that they don't care about their kids is ridiculous. Let everyone voice their opinion without fear of being rebuked. Last time I looked, we live in a democracy and at the end of the day, it's our taxes that will be paying for this school.
    Away and haunt a hoose

You could be right Glaikit, but no, I'll leave my neck as it is. It's too nice a day to be laughing at the daftness, I'll just chill out here and watch the footie.

Fair enough. I'll leave my neck as is too
    Away and haunt a hoose

And we'll hopefully both live to "have a reasonable, balanced discussion" another day....and pigs might fly
    Away and haunt a hoose

I think everyone should start to weigh up the pros and cons of each of the sites before jumping headlong into a decision on what they favour as a start I have quckly noted some of the pros and cons of each site perhaps others can be addes then a balanced judment can be made

Pros for Existing Site
    Council Owned
    Near Existing School
    Has Ian Baikies Support
    Doesn’t affect Bignold Park

Cons for Existing Site
    Restricted access
    West Banks Terrace and Newton Road Access narrow housing both sides in West Banks
    Very close to Hood Street
    Restricted space for community facilities
    Loss of playing facilities while new school is built

Pros for Bignold Park
    Council Owned
    More room for community facilities
    Open space
    Will allow existing school playing field to be developed
    Good access
    Northcote Street and Harrowhill wide with housing only on one side
    Retention of existing school and playing facilities while new school is built

Cons for Bignold park
    Doesn’t have Ian Baikies Support
    Loss of open space
    Possible title restrictions
    Public reaction?
    Loss of existing football pitches while new school is built

Thanks veritas for mentioning Iain Baikie in your post, it has reminded me of the letter submitted by him in today's Courier.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...ew_school.html

There are a few who will not like what he has said.

I predict some u-turns, denials and date changes on the way.
    Last edited by Venture; 23-Jun-10 at 17:19.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast