Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sletill Hill Webcam???

Default Sletill Hill Webcam???

Hi all.

I wan't too sure which section to put this in but here goes anyway.

Last April on our annual pilgrimage to the far north we (the better half, two dugs and myself) scaled the lofty peak that is Sletill Hill (Forsinard) - well someone had to do it

My question is - what is all this hardware for?

Solar panels, heavy duty car batteries, radio ariel, miles of cable and the slightly James Bond camera.

Can anyone shed any light on it?

Cheers

SS

Was it a site for the ROC, Royal Observer Corps????

Castletown (N58deg 35.240/W003deg 22.839)

Think it's to do with the RSPB Reserve at Forsinard - to power cameras watching the Hen Harrier nests?

Welcome to the Org SomersetSalmon! I havent a clue, but I am absolutly sure SOMEONE here will know! - need to know something, - ask the Org!

Question

That second pic looks so much like an old WW2 air raid siren housing...has it been converted?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    That second pic looks so much like an old WW2 air raid siren housing...has it been converted?
    Thats why I thought it may have been ROC

That concrete thing is definately a common Trig Point.
    The flat bronze tracks on top are for mounting a theodolite for the Ordnance Survey's surveying.
    Triangulation point - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_station

As far as I know, ROC posts were never built on hills remote from roads, and their instrument's concrete mounts were square, not triangular.
    ROC post - http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~rwbarnes/defence/dunmail.htm

The camera would belong to the RSPB as it's their land, and they do have remote cameras for Harrier nest sites.
    You can view the images in the RSPB Centre at Forsinard. The centre is worth a visit, as is their Dubh Lochan trails, which have good footpaths over the flows.
    If you see this gear set up in the wild, the best thing to do is leave before disturbing the rare nesting birdies !!

Ps - guess who's sitting here bored waiting for a return phonecall !
    Last edited by Dog-eared; 23-Feb-10 at 18:15.