Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James May at the Edge of Space

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Well I respect people's choice. If you all think it is so great then who am I to argue?
    Ah, churlishness - everyone's favourite.

Their specials in Asia and S. America are bola bola, they really portray very little of the reality of the places they were in. Wasted opportunity.
    You have to remember this is a car programme - they have to fit everything else around that.

Well, there is a reason I used the punctuation around that phrase..
    I was aware of said punctuation, but it was still a daft phrase to use there. It surely would've been easier to just type what you meant. Also, go with one dot or three, but not two. It seems so indecisive... Or does it?
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    it was still a daft phrase to use there. It surely would've been easier to just type what you meant.
    The use of a common phrase made my point. Using the punctuation as I did indicated I was conscious that phrase is not usually used in this context.

However it can still apply; nothing restricts that phrase to the idea of literally going out, physically. My meaning was clear to anyone agenda free.

This is a message board, not an English tutorial..

If I want trail off two dot ellipses I will have them..
    Last edited by Boozeburglar; 22-Jan-10 at 18:52.

If I want trail off two dot ellipsis I will have them..
    But then the aposiopesis is lost? Surely?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

No, it is absolutely enhanced by my refusal to go further..

Nope, doesn't work for me. Just seems that you're trying to be sagacious and failing somewhat.

"It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Well failing is not my area of expertise, so I may bow to your better knowledge in this case.

Do you know.... some people get quite upset when their wee topic gets highjacked. Me... I find it quite funny, epecially to see the diverse avenues that the thread then follows, and twists and turns.

But don't forget - it is a beautiful planet.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I am amazed when I fly, so I can imagine I would be totally blown away to go even further up and see the world from that perspective. I don't think I will be in a position to be a space tourist any time soon though.

If I want trail off two dot ellipsis I will have them..
    Well it's not really an ellipsis with only two...

Well failing is not my area of expertise, so I may bow to your better knowledge in this case.
    Wow.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I will use as many or as few dots as I wish.....

I will use as many or as few dots as I wish.....
    Yeah, doesn't change the fact that 2 dots isn't an ellipsis.

They are if that is what I am using them for..

They are if that is what I am using them for..
    That isn't really how it works...

Perhaps you should bear in mind this is a message board..

We really need an option to branch off for off topic debates.. ..or for persistent flaming attacks. Maybe just a virtual ball pool for bairns to be bairns.

Next you will be having a go at people for using 'lol', or for non capitalization, or forgettting to add a full stop Oh look! A typo! wetting your pants now? Dribbling with anticapation?

.. .. .. ..!

Perhaps you should bear in mind this is a message board..

We really need an option to branch off for off topic debates.. ..or for persistent flaming attacks.
    Yeah, this back and forth has been all me...

well you decided to start talking grammar

something of a pet subject for you; and I can see why, as it appears to be an area of learning you are struggling with

perhaps you should limit your discourse to formal letters to english lecturers until you know the rules the rest of us choose to ignore when we are not writing formally

if you read up you will discover I rarely if ever mention someone's grammar

it seems to be the preserve of those who cannot argue their point, hiding away in a set of rules they hope will indicate their superior facility with this noble language rather than addressing the argument further

we all know ability in english is nothing to do with intelligence or reasoning

some of the greatest minds known have written terribly, in whatever language they used

you only need to do a few moments research, if you really do not already know that using two dots is common on message boards

perhaps not a huge time saver, but it is an abbreviation

and, once again, I remind you this is not a formal format for written english

fini
    Last edited by Boozeburglar; 22-Jan-10 at 22:09.

well you decided to start talking grammar
    Well if we're going to be picky, you were the first to mention punctuation.

something of a pet subject for you
    Not really. If bad grammar actually annoyed me as much as you think it does, I wouldn't be able to do anything on the internet except correct peoples grammar.

and I can see why, as it appears to be an area of learning you are struggling with
    My English is perfectly fine thank you.

perhaps you should limit your discourse to formal letters to english lecturers
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that I'm an English student. I am, in fact, an Astrophysics student.

if you read up you will discover I rarely if ever mention someone's grammar
    I really don't care.

it seems to be the preserve of those who cannot argue their point, hiding away in a set of rules they hope will indicate their superior facility with this noble language rather than addressing the argument further
    I have no problem arguing my position. However the thing is, this argument isn't about positions. It's two people who both want the last word on a stupid, insignificant argument. And the nobility of the English language is a debate for another time.

we all know ability in english is nothing to do with intelligence or reasoning
    To a certain extent...

perhaps not a huge time saver, but it is an abbreviation
    Oh come on.

fini
    You choose to end your comments on the nobility of the English language in French. Interesting...

You seem to be under the misapprehension that I'man English student. I am, in fact, an Astrophysics student.
    I thought you were a Psycho student but never mind because I like Astro. What do my stars say for the rest of the weekend? I'm a Scorpio.

I liked that James May thingy when I saw it last time. I'd rather puke than snog that wee Hammond gnaff.

Well if we're going to be picky, you were the first to mention punctuation.
    Actually you made it the subject of our conversation.

Not really. If bad grammar actually annoyed me as much as you think it does, I wouldn't be able to do anything on the internet except correct peoples grammar.
    You would have a hard time, not being blessed with the tools..

My English is perfectly fine thank you.
    I don't think so. Often the case with those who choose to correct others.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that I'm an English student. I am, in fact, an Astrophysics student.
    Now why would I suggest you correspond with a Physics or Maths lecturers to improve your language skills?

I have no problem arguing my position. However the thing is, this argument isn't about positions. It's two people who both want the last word on a stupid, insignificant argument. And the nobility of the English language is a debate for another time.
    I don't recall beginning any debate about my use of two dots, (accepted as a variation on message boards and internet chat), versus three. You decided to pursue that debate.

You would do well to think about your language skills in general before continuing to revert to such pedantic diversion.

Your oratory prowess, as evidenced by your contributions on this board, is limited.

My position is that reverting to semantic debate to switch from the thrust of a debate is negative, and I react to it for that reason.

You don't care so much you keep replying..

Incidentally, you are using the ellipsis wrongly almost every time . . . .
    Last edited by Boozeburglar; 23-Jan-10 at 02:05.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post

I'd rather puke than snog that wee Hammond gnaff.
    Would you rather snog Jeremy Clarkson, then?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast