Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Lightning

1. Default Lightning

Managed to hang out the window and get this one.

Fabulous capture - how'd you manage to get the timing right?

I resorted to getting the video camera out as I reckoned that would give me the best chance, but even then I seemed to keep aiming in slightly the wrong direction

Congrats on the astrophoto competition win btw. Your pics are on display at Caithness Horizons at the moment - they look great.
    Last edited by astroman; 02-Jul-09 at 20:43.

3. Default

Pure luck Astroman.Had a fair idea the lightning was in roughly that area and just waited
    till i saw a flash and just clicked away,some of the flashes lasted probably a few tenths of a second so i got them but the realy quick ones i missed.
    If it was dark i would have got the tripod and taken 20 second exposures and that way i would have been able to get several strikes in the one shot because quite a few times there were several flashes in quick succession.
    Thanks on the compitition win,i'm still reading "Cosmos" for the third time now.Fantastic book.

Very dramatic great shot.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Cracking photo

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Striking shot, MPH!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Now that is what I call a moody sky! Well done MPH!

Excellent capture MPH...

Quite a bit of fork lighting out my way today too...

And the rain!!!

Great picture but nowhere near its worst!

Great capture. Most impressive lightning storm I've ever witnessed. Quite scarry I have to admit. Did think about trying to cature this but didn't like the idea of being too close to the window!!
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Connor. View Post
    Great picture but nowhere near its worst!
    Well i apologise for giving a false representation of the storm by posting a little fart of a lightning strike.

12. Default

Deemac,its definately the worst i've seen in this country,spectacular would be an understatement i think.
    Anyone know why lightning sometimes is pink in photographs?,there are hundreds of them on flickr.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 03-Jul-09 at 02:20.

Brilliant photo MPH. Similar to the view i had from my house.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Deemac,its definately the worst i've seen in this country,spectacular would be an understatement i think.
    Anyone know why lightning sometimes is pink in photographs?,there are hundreds of them on flickr.
    This was all i could find. The part in blue, maybe the lighning is red, but it slightly changes colour when photographed??

Lightning takes on a range of colors, depending on conditions in the clouds and in the air.
    Blue lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of hail.
    Red lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of rain.
    Yellow or orange lightning occurs when there is a large concentration of dust in the air.
    White lightning is a sign of low humidity (amount of moisture in the air). White is the color of lightning that most often ignites forest fires.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

That is a brilliant picture! What a shot! That looks like my house in the backround, is that heathfield road?

16. Default

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the info Shelley.
    Doreen,its Sigurd Road.

Here's another i was lucky enough to catch.

mph,

Well caught, I was on Dunnet Beach as it started to rain, drove back to Thurso in the worst of it, then tried a few shots of Thurso Bay, not one bolt of lightning caught!

Another excellent capture MPH...

Myself and some friends saw the red lightening on our way home one night many years ago...

Really red it was too but a bit off in the distance and unfortunately I had no camera with me anyway...

Interesting info ShelleyBain.

my effort