Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 things you need to know about losing weight.

I reckon everyone knows their own bodies. If I eat wheat I feel sick to the core and if I eat when my brain says I'm full I regret it for days. If it works work it! If I need to lose weight I do MY OWN THING and that works for me...

Talking

Well, i have finally managed to shift some weight, half a stone in 6 days, that was with a very strict calorie controlled diet of between 1300min/1600max calories a day and loads of exercise, 129km cycling and a few weights sessions in the gym. It's tough going....i mean REALLY tough going cutting back to that amount of calories...and weighing out every single thing you eat is a real pain, i've had the shakes a couple of times and just had to get something to eat, but apart from that i feel great, i think that may be down to drinking the same amount of water that's currently in Watten Loch a couple more weeks of this and i should have shifted all the fat i want

And who ever it was that recommended www.fitday.com then thanks, it's a brilliant site and has been perfect for keeping a log of my calorie intake.

And a big thanks to Andrew Usher for all the great advice via email, if it wasn't for your help i'd still be exercising hard but getting nowhere with the weight loss.

It's ALL about the calories folks

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    And who ever it was that recommended www.fitday.com then thanks, it's a brilliant site and has been perfect for keeping a log of my calorie intake.

Yep, I've opened an account as well and it is amazing how much the calories do add up.

The trickiest for me was bread and butter and making a careful measurement of how much I cut a homemade slice of bread off the loaf and how much margerine I spread on the slice.

It works out to be 350kcal per slice! Wowee that is a lot more than I thought. One slice is 125kcal and I was putting far too much margerine on.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Yep, I've opened an account as well and it is amazing how much the calories do add up.

The trickiest for me was bread and butter and making a careful measurement of how much I cut a homemade slice of bread off the loaf and how much margerine I spread on the slice.

It works out to be 350kcal per slice! Wowee that is a lot more than I thought. One slice is 125kcal and I was putting far too much margerine on.
    Bloomin eck Rheg, 350kcal a slice?..is that 2" thick door stops you're cutting?..lol

2 slices of Kingsmill medium white bread (73g) has 169kcal, and 5g of Clover Light Spread has 23kcal, i think you just might be over-doing the slicing and spreading a little

When I first started using I was amazed at the the effect of portion size and that little bit extra that gets added (butter etc). The free version is so good I am tempted to the the full version.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

i have been trying to loose weight for more than ten years, but i never did it successfully. once i lost weight, i gained it back soon. i exercised alot, end of day, i ate more. so, i think it is quite importand to watch the amout of the food that we are taking. don't try to sitting there doing nothing as much as possible.

Bloomin eck Rheg, 350kcal a slice?..is that 2" thick door stops you're cutting?..lol

2 slices of Kingsmill medium white bread (73g) has 169kcal, and 5g of Clover Light Spread has 23kcal, i think you just might be over-doing the slicing and spreading a little
    lol, not quite door stops!

I can get about 10 slices(~18mm thick, I can't cut it any thinner) out of a homemade loaf so that is 125kcal each.

oops I think I have over calculated on the butter!

I think 75kcal 10g serving of butter is more like what I put on, so each slice is actually about 200kcal. I'll try that Clover light thanks.

Can't agree more. I've had a top-down review of what I'm eating just recently and I've started to lose weight again. I've lost 4lb this week since just by using fitday.com which makes me focus on my calories and activity. I was 99kg in February and got down to ~86 kg at end of April-ish and stopped. This morning I topped the scales at 84kg the slimmest I've been in a long time.

I used FitDay to work out why my sugars were all over the place. It is a brilliant site even if the name does make me think of being drunk in Aberdeen.

Well, i have finally managed to shift some weight, half a stone in 6 days, that was with a very strict calorie controlled diet of between 1300min/1600max calories a day and loads of exercise, 129km cycling and a few weights sessions in the gym. It's tough going....i mean REALLY tough going cutting back to that amount of calories...and weighing out every single thing you eat is a real pain, i've had the shakes a couple of times and just had to get something to eat, but apart from that i feel great, i think that may be down to drinking the same amount of water that's currently in Watten Loch a couple more weeks of this and i should have shifted all the fat i want

And a big thanks to Andrew Usher for all the great advice via email, if it wasn't for your help i'd still be exercising hard but getting nowhere with the weight loss.

Was a pleasure to help you out where i could

For everyone:
    When you are planning your meals make sure get the essential vitamins and minerals, and macro nutrients. Protein is exceptionally important, even more so when your working out. There are ways to work out roughly what you need per day for calorie intake and for loosing weight. As an example, lets look at some at 160 pounds, with 20 percent body fat.

This would mean that their lean body mass was around 128 pounds. To loose weight this would mean they would need to ideally consume around 1536 calories per day. Appropriate portions of protein, carb and fat would need to consumed with that calorie intake.

It can be hard going, i know, im cutting a lot of weight as part of my rehab program for the psoriatic arthritis i had.
    Andrew Usher
    Partner / Practice Manager
    Dunbeath Surgery
    dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12