Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Placeing Volume icon on the task bar

Default Placeing Volume icon on the task bar

When I put the volume icon on the task bar and then close my computer down , it doesn't show when I turn my computer back on. So every time I use my computer I have to reset it,
    Has any one got an answer to solve it.

If your 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon is disappearing too then the following may be the answer (copied from another forum - I couldn't link directly to the post so thought copy & paste would be easier). Let us know how you get on...

"What happens is that systray.exe "somehow" gets removed from the startup. You cannot manually run systray.exe (well, you can, but it doesn't seem to do anything). Here are the steps (nothing new from what Felix said but just more step-by-step):

1. Start > Run ... Type "msconfig" [OK]
    2. Go to Startup tab and see if "Systray" is on the list of startup items and it is checked (probably, if you are having this problem, it is not).
    3. If it is there but not checked, then check it, click [OK} and restart your computer.
    4. It is is NOT there, then you have to add it using the Registry Editor.
    a. Start > Run ... Type "regedit" [OK]
    b. In the left pane, select key "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    c. You will see a list of various string names and values that all represent something that runs on startup. Systray should be in that list and probably isn't.
    d. Edit > New > String Value and overtype "New Value #1" with "SysTray"
    e. With this new "Systray" selected, Edit > Modify and under "Value data" type in the following string INCLUDING the quotes and then [OK]
    "C:\Windows\System32\Systray.exe"
    (This assumes the default installation directory, but you may want to confirm that systray.exe indeed resides there.
    f. Restart and you should start seeing the vanishing icons.

NOTES:
    A. Make sure before you do all this that it isn't a case of having the volume control display disabled: Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Volume tab > "Place volume control in taskbar" should be checked.
    B. Also make sure that your taskbar properties aren't hiding the icons: Control Panel > Taskbar & Start Menu > Taskbar tab > Check "Hide Inactive Icons" (necessary to be able to select customize) > Customize
    and then ensure that the missing icons are either set to "Always show" or maybe "Hide when inactive" but NOT "Always hide"
    C. Now why systray.exe disappeared from the Startup list in the first place continues to remain a mystery"

Thankyou Bob for the instructions , I have checked and found in regedit in
    (b. In the left pane, select key "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Run")
    Win dows is not showing at all

LOL never noticed that when i copied the instructions - just remove hte space - it should read ...\Windows\... - sorry!