Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dog and Kitten

Default Dog and Kitten

Hi

We have a four year old Jack Russell Bitch and have just got a new kitten The dog has been around cats on and off for most of her life but the last cat HATED her and she was a bit frightened of him TBH.

The old cat died a few months ago and as winter has approached our old friend the mouse has reared its wee head again. Thing is this wee scrap of a kitten has arrived at 8 weeks old and the dog thinks she is its mum, she is worrying over the kitten and this afternoon i found them curled up together and the kitten was suckling off her! She has never had pups and whilst its very cute I dont want the dog to be distressed or to be hurt by the kitten. IM not sure if it will resolve itself or whether i need to do something to make sure they are both ok. The dog is very very gentle with the kitten and appears completely besotted - she lay totally relaxed whilst this little thing was nursing.

Any advice would be welcomed

Default I am no expert but....

My mums dog once "adopted" the kitten from next door...no ill effects as far as I can remember. I think that they (your pets) have formed a great bond and that can only be a good thing.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

i'd say that if they are getting on then leave them be. From my own experience with my cats/dogs, the dog will soon move the kitten if it hurts it when kneading or suckling.

My cats regularly try suckling from my labradoodle and he just gently moves them off with his back leg while my labrador will happily sit there and let one of my cats lick away at his jowls very strange behaviour but both seem to get enjoyment from it

Absolutely nothing to worry about..............and what a touching little story....two happy souls that have found true love and a very, very special bond. Piccys would be nice....

Aaaawww bless the wee souls! Agree with the others in that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

As Teenybash says would love some piccys!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

When we got Frodo he would try to suckle from Poppy dog our Lab she would let him try for so long before lying on her tummy to stop him but they will cuddle up together all the time

How lovely. I had a labrador and cat, and when the cat had kittens, the dog took over. He used to lift them up so gently and put themmback in the basket and he would wash them. The dog, cat and 6 kittens all slept in the basket and the kittens used to lie on the dog thinking he was their mum. It is so nice to watch. It is lovely that your dog has bonded so well with the kitten.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come