Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: cheerios

Default cheerios

Anybody got any ideas how to use up a big box of cheerios?My kids have decided they dont like them anymore and I hate to waste them!x
    Last edited by Thumper; 11-Sep-08 at 15:12.
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Eat them yourself! Actually I wouldn't myself. Sorry thumper cannot think of anything constructive other than that!

chocolate cheerio cakes
    doesnt sound to appealing tho sorry
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

LOL Ash I did think of suggestin that but thought NAH!

Try this ...

Ingredients
    • 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter or margarine
    • 1 bag (250 g) miniature marshmallows (5 cups/1.25 L)
    • 5 cups (1.25 L) Cheerios
    Microwave Directions
    Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33cm) tin. Microwave butter and marshmallows in a large microwaveable bowl on HIGH about 2 minutes, stirring every minute, until smooth.
    Immediately stir in cereal and stir until coated. Press into pan; cool. Cut into bars. Store loosely covered.
    Important: Microwaves cook differently – cook times are approximate.
    Stovetop Directions:
    Lightly grease or spray 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33cm) tin. Melt butter in 3-quart (3 L) saucepan over low heat.
    Add marshmallows; stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Continue as directed above.

Tips:
    • Spray sides and bottom of bowl or saucepan with non-stick cooking spray before cooking. This reduces sticking on sides and is great for easy clean up.
    • Freeze well. Try freezing in small quantities for school lunches.
    Or this one .... you could add choc chips also

Cheerio Bars Ingredients:

1/2 cup Peanut butter
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Honey
    3 cup Cheerios
    Salted peanuts

Cheerio Bars Preparation:

Bring sugar and honey to a boil in 2 qt saucepan. Remove from
    heat,stir in peanut butter until blended. Pour in cheerios and mix
    until well coated. Spread in buttered 9 x 13 tin and let cool. cut in
    squares.
    Last edited by arana negra; 11-Sep-08 at 18:05.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Or mix in with dog food , rabbits may like them
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Thanks arana negra! Thats just the kind of thing I was looking for!I will give them both a try tomorrow.

Wifie and Ash....well what can I say?Thanks for trying x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Thumper, I have sent you a message, of recipes using Cheerios .

I have tried a number of these, and the kids all seem to enjoy them .

Hope you find some you like .

Here is another recipe that sounds yummy . I haven't tried it yet though .

Cheerio Clusters

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Ingredients:
    3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    3 ounces (1/2 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    5 (3/4 cup) ounces white chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
    1.5 cups Cheerios cereal
    1/2 cup roasted peanuts
    Preparation:
    1. Combine the unsweetened chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and white chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the chocolate is melted, stirring after every minute.

2. Once the chocolate is melted, smooth, and a uniform texture, stir in the cheerios and peanuts. Stir until the cereal and nuts are well-coated.

3. Drop small teaspoonfuls of candy onto a foil-lined baking sheet, or directly into paper candy cups. While the chocolate is still wet, decorate the top of each cluster with a single white chocolate chip, if desired.

4. Refrigerate the candies until the chocolate is completely set. Store the candies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes approximately 2 dozen clusters.
    Last edited by Big Jean; 11-Sep-08 at 19:54.

Thank you Jean,there are some great things for me to try on that site...looks like a busy day for me tomorrow! x

Default Tana Ramsay

I found these (PDF file) wholegrain/some cheerios recipes this morning Thumper - the lunchbox slices sound delicious - I've got a box of cheerios lurking in my cupboard, I think I'll give these a try.

I hope my Hyperlink works - I only learnt how to do it last week. Thanx to Bob

Lavendarblue you are a star!This is the recipies that I cut out and kept froma magazine....and then promptly lost so you have made this bunny happy!
    I have tried out the marshmallow recipe that arana negra posted,it was a great hit!Also tried one of the recipes that Big Jean posted a link to,its fab as well,so it looks like the cherrios have all been used up and the kids are happy into the bargain!Oh and I found another packet in the cupboard so theres plenty more to try new things with,thanks everybody for the ideas!xxxx

Default Cheerio's

I'm so glad that these were the recipes you'd lost Thumper - it was just pure chance that I came across them this morning.