Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sweet corn pollenation advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I think I am gonna have to get a greenhouse at some stage. I planted mine outside and they are only about 4inch at the moment, so don't hold out much hope of getting anything off them
    Changilass

I treated myself to a plastic green house from B&Q to see how Id get on with growing Veg and OH said it was a phase I was going through
    Have had loads of lovely strawberries Green Peppers well maybe just 2
    5 Tomato plants all bearing fruit but my baby sweetcorn silch so far although its getting tall
    I am truly hooked have the wee hoosie in a sunny spot of the garden go out at night and zip them in and open up again next morning
    Its nice to be nice

hi have been following thread as i also am growing sweetcorn for first time, so can someone tell me how do u know when they ready to be picked?

last year we just usually pulled the leaves open slightly and peeked at the corns to see if they were yellow enough, that was our way of doing it.
    my top flowers are just starting to open, can't wait for the cobs to be ready, but then it will be a fight to eat them

Default Pollinating sweet corn

Porshiepoo, Your season is over but if you plan to grow sweet corn again next year, it's very simple. Just be sure you plant them in a block rather than a stright line. the more you plant the better. If they were outside, no fewer than 4 rows is recommended so that if you have room in your greenhouse, say, to plant 3 rows of 3 plants, that should be okay, I would think. I don't know how large your greenhouse is. A good shake of the plants when they're pollinating should do the trick although if you have a way to hook up an electric fan to blow on them hard for an hour or so that wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
    hi have been following thread as i also am growing sweetcorn for first time, so can someone tell me how do u know when they ready to be picked?
    Whatever you do... do not pull back some husks to take a peek! Feel the outside of the ear - if it feels fat and heavy then it shoudl be OK (it shoudl feel a bit like grasping a (steady now, Paris!!) baguette. When you find one that seems OK then pull down-wards and twist it to break it free form the stalk.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."