Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should text type speed writing be outlawed on this forum?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 57.33%
  • No

32 42.67%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A distinct lack of controversy...(so ban text-speak)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    On most phones, with predictive texting switched off. Repeated pressing of the number 1 key will give a selection.
    Wow. So it does. Thank you very much Sapphire - it's greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    On most phones, with predictive texting switched off. Repeated pressing of the number 1 key will give a selection.

Thanks from me too Sapphire. At the press of a button I've discovered symbols I've been looking for for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
    Young people have always had slang/different language to differentiate themselves from and render themselves incomprehensible to the idiot older generation who understand nothing at all. In 2008 it happens to be texting.

Brilliant. It's amazing how the beauty of the landscape somehow starts to become evident into your 40's and 50's where before you never even noticed a landscape was there.

Slightly off-topic, but how do you do question marks and things on a mobile? (A young person kindly gave me my mobile (unfortunately with no instructions) because apparently the old one I was using was hysterical and I became ashamed to be seen out with it.) I'm doing better at texting now I've managed to get rid of the predictive texting, though a short text takes me half an hour, but how can I make sense to my recipient without basics like a full stop and ? mark?

Would you like a young expert to come and teach you how to use your phone?

Default Wrong question....

I chose my words too hastily when I set this poll.
    Rather than 'outlawed' I should have chosen 'discouraged' for I feel the result would have been much more emphatic.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Is that a euphemism?

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Disclaimer:
    My comments were purely tongue in cheek rather than foot in mouth.

I like that a lot, must remember it.

As for text speak, I don't mind the odd bit thrown in here and there. Just as long as it's easy for non text speakers to decipher.

So, for me...

Discourage it? yes. Ban it? No.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Wow. So it does. Thank you very much Sapphire - it's greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Thanks from me too Sapphire. At the press of a button I've discovered symbols I've been looking for for months.
    You're very welcome.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Is that a euphemism?
    No it isn't actually even though it probably sounded like it. The "" smiley probably didn't help either.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Many thanks for your kind offer RFR. Other young experts have offered me lessons too, but I suspect I’m far too old and dottled to take it all in. Anyway, I hardly use the thing (as you can see from my posts) and Sapphire has got me sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Glad I wasn’t alone Venture.

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Is that a euphemism?
    Windy leave him be. Young experts impress me. (I've just tried to inject a smiley and thumbs up here but naturally made a hash of it. :-) ;-) )

PS: I forgot to say, I'm amazed the poll is showing a majority against text speak on the forum. I voted to allow it - can't see what's wrong with it. When I've learned more I shall pepper my posts with it.

What is ROFL?

Rolling on floor laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Rolling on floor laughing
    fit am doin ifanow efter readin 'iss thried
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Sixty odd votes and fiteen hundred views, and I think the result is becoming clear. For such a draconian idea as a 'ban' or 'outlawing' I find the results heartening and thank all who responded in the affirmative. It's obvious this practice gets on peoples wicks (sorry) and many of those who champion text type speak are very young...that's not their fault.

(tongue in cheek comment, in case you were wondrin')

If text speak was banned then we would lose a member.
    As TBH is an abbreviation and txt speak for "to be honest" then surely he would have to go as well?
    Isnt txt speak just another form of abbreviation? I dont use it alot myself but do use words like c u l8er as its quicker. If text was to be "banned" then would abbreviations also fall into that category?. Or would they get a reprieve? We would then lose LOL,IMHO to name but 2.
    If you use it,use it sparingly but I dont see why it would annoy people,its the same as using local dialect, no problem with that either ye kin fit a mean mannies and wifies?

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Sixty odd votes and fiteen hundred views, and I think the result is becoming clear. For such a draconian idea as a 'ban' or 'outlawing' I find the results heartening and thank all who responded in the affirmative. It's obvious this practice gets on peoples wicks (sorry) and many of those who champion text type speak are very young...that's not their fault.

(tongue in cheek comment, in case you were wondrin')
    So only thanking those that voted with you and not against you, no point in having a poll then!!!! Thats not very Christian/Charitable/toboganist is it?

thx for e poll imho it was good tbh, c u l8er m8 lol

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    So only thanking those that voted with you and not against you, no point in having a poll then!!!! Thats not very Christian/Charitable/toboganist is it?

thx for e poll imho it was good tbh, c u l8er m8 lol
    You're mistaking me for another tobogganist I'm afraid old chum...I'm not particularly Christian, much less charitable...though I hope I thanked all respondents earlier...if you have the inclination to trawl tthrough all the posts you might see that. I thanked 'supporters' in summation, because I had nought else to add. Then you came along.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

I av no prblm wi txt spk on here - jst read it as norm. Wots e fus bout it? Gr8 wen ur in a huray.

But then the computer keyboard is a dashed site faster than a mobile key pad! I know a couple of younger friends who use text speak on the forums and msn - it hides their bad spelling with great ease!

WBG

Many thanks for your kind offer RFR. Other young experts have offered me lessons too, but I suspect I’m far too old and dottled to take it all in. Anyway, I hardly use the thing (as you can see from my posts) and Sapphire has got me sorted.

Glad I wasn’t alone Venture.

Windy leave him be. Young experts impress me. (I've just tried to inject a smiley and thumbs up here but naturally made a hash of it. :-) ;-) )
    Young experts being an Oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    If text speak was banned then we would lose a member.
    As TBH is an abbreviation and txt speak for "to be honest" then surely he would have to go as well?
    Isnt txt speak just another form of abbreviation? I dont use it alot myself but do use words like c u l8er as its quicker. If text was to be "banned" then would abbreviations also fall into that category?. Or would they get a reprieve? We would then lose LOL,IMHO to name but 2.
    If you use it,use it sparingly but I dont see why it would annoy people,its the same as using local dialect, no problem with that either ye kin fit a mean mannies and wifies?
    TBH is not an abreviation, it is my real name.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Young experts being an Oxymoron?
    Don't be so cheeky

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast