Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Badbea descendants website?

Default Badbea descendants website?

I am researching descendants of those families mentioned on the Badbea monument and who lived at Badbea as a result of the clearances, first recorded in the 1841 census.

My husband's ancestors were Gunns, listed on the Badbea monument: George d1761, John B.1753 d.1833, John b.1787 Auchencraig, d.1876, his wife Marion Sinclair also b.1787, Clyth. These Gunns married Sinclairs, Sutherlands, McCleods, McKays, Bains.

If you think you have a family tree which overlaps with these Gunns please let me know and if it turns out to be so we can exchange GEDCOMs.

But those who know their ancestors were at the very least neighbours of the above Gunns at Badbea, then please also let me know, as from what I have read there were 12 families. I am trying to find out if anyone is interested in our having a website devoted to those 12 families and their descendants.

Lynn

Thumbs down tony

hi there
    have had a look at the badbea web site on this same page. there was
    a john sutherland listed there. seems to have been quite prominent in
    that community. it may be of no good but worth a look
    there may even be other sites on the org concerning badbea
    worth a look regards tony

Well, as you'll see from the adjoining thread on John Sutherland he seems to have some connection with Badbea which I had not heard of as all my ancestors from that area seems to mention Berriedale instead. I would be interested in anything about the Sutherlands from that area.

Marion, Renfrewshire

Smile Badbea families

Please read http://www.caithness.org/atoz/badbea...gunn/index.htm and http://www.caithness.org/atoz/badbea/index.htm. It was the monument inscription which inspired me to learn about my husband's ancestors. In my database so far I have a number of Sutherlands born in Badbea eg. David Sutherland b. 1809 married Johanna Sutherland b.1810 and their 10 children were born in Badbea. Johanna was the daughter of Catherine Gunn b.1773 who married John Sutherland b.1771 and they were of Berriedale. It is those born in Badbea or who were cleared to Badbea who I am interested in locating their descendants. So far I have been contacted by two people, one in Australia, the other in Canada. It is very exciting to make such contacts - please let me know if you think you are a descendant from the families of Badbea.

Hello from New Zealand.Yes I am a descendent of Christina Sutherland. I have only just started researching the Sutherland/McLeod families so my knowledge is very limited but I would support any research or whatever was the result of this thread. I have plenty of information on the families once they came to New Zealand. I am visiting Caithness in early September this year and am planning a visit to the Badbea monument - would love someone to accompany me then. Regards Christina Baldwin

Greetings Christian and Caithlynn from Canada

I am descended from the John Gunn mentioned on the Badbea Memorial
    I have previously been in contact with Caithlynn
    I am the person from Canada that she mentions
    I would love to share info with you

Default Badbea descendants

Quote Originally Posted by Christina Baldwin View Post
    Hello from New Zealand.Yes I am a descendent of Christina Sutherland. I have only just started researching the Sutherland/McLeod families so my knowledge is very limited but I would support any research or whatever was the result of this thread. I have plenty of information on the families once they came to New Zealand. I am visiting Caithness in early September this year and am planning a visit to the Badbea monument - would love someone to accompany me then. Regards Christina Baldwin
    Christina - I apologise for taking so long to reply but we are moving from the North East of England over into Scotland and we are obviously finding little time to write to friends. We would love to meet up with you when you come to Scotland as we could all go to Badbea together (plus my husband's cousin who lives in Perth). Please let me know off list more about your family links to Christine Sutherland. Hopefully you have linked up by now with Barbara in Canada.

Thanks CaithLynn, I now have your email from Barb so I will contact you off list. What amazing strength and resilience our forebears had to live and rear their families in the difficult environment of Badbea. From the perspective of our modern comfortable homes the conditions there beggar belief.

Default Badbea

Hi,
    FYI.....

My Great Grandmother was Christina Sutherland..Born at Badbea 20th Oct 1848/ died 1908. Her father was John Sutherland 'The Cairn', Langwell born 12th Dec 1803.
    His father was James Sutherland born 1765 and his was William Sutherland born 1730.
    Badbea, Langwell, Berriedale, Ousdale are all in the same area.

I am Alexander (Sandy) Ryrie., born Lybster, Caithness, Scotland and have been in Ontario, Canada since 1971.

I have visited Badbea on many occasions....what a sad, sad way to treat Human Beings!

Regards..sandyr
    Last edited by sandyr; 16-Apr-08 at 14:35.

The book 'Sutherlands of Ngaipu' by Alex Sutherland was published in New Zealand by A.H. & A.W. Reed (date not clear maybe 1940s, it is out of print anyway). The author was the son of David Sutherland who was the son of Alexander Robert Sutherland. The bulk of this book, set in New Zealand, covers the lives and work of the Sutherland families plus some of the McLeod family members who married Sutherlands and worked together here. The first chapter recalls information about Badbea and the building of the monument. The last chapter is a narrative written by John Sutherland from Lybster in 1939 and discussed a range of general Sutherland and McLeod history. There is also one page of his version of a family tree for branches of the Sutherland & McLeod families. This book is now out of print but available as reference in a few libraries in New Zealand. I managed get permission to scan the first and last chapters recently plus a few other pages re the McLeods (where my interests lie) and will try to scan the rest as I am able. The quality of my scans is not great but if they are of use to anyone I am happy to email them as attachments. Please send me a private message. Christina

Hi
    My husbands great great grandmother Christina Sutherland lived there with her uncle John Sutherland(John Badbea) She and her siblings are on the stone plaque. We have photos of the area if you are interested.
    Patricia Ross New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Christina Baldwin View Post
    The book 'Sutherlands of Ngaipu' by Alex Sutherland was published in New Zealand by A.H. & A.W. Reed (date not clear maybe 1940s, it is out of print anyway). The author was the son of David Sutherland who was the son of Alexander Robert Sutherland. The bulk of this book, set in New Zealand, covers the lives and work of the Sutherland families plus some of the McLeod family members who married Sutherlands and worked together here. The first chapter recalls information about Badbea and the building of the monument. The last chapter is a narrative written by John Sutherland from Lybster in 1939 and discussed a range of general Sutherland and McLeod history. There is also one page of his version of a family tree for branches of the Sutherland & McLeod families. This book is now out of print but available as reference in a few libraries in New Zealand. I managed get permission to scan the first and last chapters recently plus a few other pages re the McLeods (where my interests lie) and will try to scan the rest as I am able. The quality of my scans is not great but if they are of use to anyone I am happy to email them as attachments. Please send me a private message. Christina

Christina
    I have the "Sutherlands of Ngaipu" book. There are errors in it but it is a wonderful tool. That version of the family tree has several errors as well.
    Have corrected it for myself. Will show you when you come our way.
    Patricia Ross

Hi to all who are linked to John McLeod and Christina Sutherland and the Gunn family. I have a very big tree of both the McLeods and Sutherlands and the Gunns appear among their trees.
    Send me your email addresses and I can talk to you.
    Patricia Ross

CaithLyn

I am a direct descendant of James Gunn, son of John Gunn and Marion Sinclair. They would be my g.g.g.grandparents. Would love to exchange information.

Bertha

Hi Caithlyn

I am a direct decendant of James Gunn son of John Gunn and Marion Sinclair. They were my g.g.g.grandparents. I would love to hear from you.

Hello Bertha

There has now been a huge amount of work done on Badbea descendents website by CaithLynn. I will send you a private message so you can email CaithLynn or others and get linked. It has been very exciting getting information from all over the world. I think the website is still waiting to get on the main search engines.
    Regards Christina

Regards Christina

Hi All
    In my research I have discovered my gggggrandfather was James Sutherland died 1862 aged 75, death certificate says his parents were John Sutherland and Elizabeth (Elspet i believe) Gunn. His wife, my gggggrandmother was Henrietta (Henrita) Sutherland and parents I believe were Angus Sutherland & Christy McKay.

James resided at Houstry and his son John's headstone in Old Latheron says he was a crofter of Achnagoul died aged 90 in 1902.

Does this tie in with Badbea and the clearances, I believe Angus was from Kildonan.

Default Sutherlands at Badbea

there could be a link here but I have none of the matching names in my database so far. Have you been able to find your family in the census info which would show them at Badbea (renamed Achnacraig after 1841). Let me know if you find more clues.

thanks for being in touch - you can also contact us via the website:
    http://www.badbeafamilies.com

Default Sutherlands, Houstry, Payingag, Tighnatullich

Piece: SCT1851/38 Place: Latheron -Caithness Enumeration District: 14
    Civil Parish: Latheron Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Latheron
    Folio: 0 Page: 3 Schedule: 12
    Address: Payingag

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks SUTHERLAND James Head M M 66 Farmer Of 8 Acres Caithness - Latheron SUTHERLAND Henreitta Wife M F 62 - Caithness - Latheron SUTHERLAND Donald Son U M 32 Tailor Caithness - Latheron SUTHERLAND Margrat Dau W F 30 - Caithness - Latheron SUTHERLAND Willm. Son U M 28 Labour Caithness - Latheron SUTHERLAND James Son U M 26 Labour Caithness - Latheron Page: 0/4 SUTHERLAND Henereitta Grndau - F 2 - Caithness - Latheron
    This is all I have for 1851, the 1841 Census shows them being at Houstry but I have no idea where Payingag is, also at Houstry in 1841 was the Olson family including my GGGGrandmother Isabella but in 1851 they were at at Tighnatullich including my GGGGrandfather all living with the Olson's.

Any help in tracing any of this family greatly appreciated.