Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Puffins are back

Default Puffins are back

Sighted my first Puffin of the year at Lybster.
    Threat of rain and overcast conditions prevented me getting a pic.
    It didn't help that my camera was still sitting snug in my camera rucksack.
    This one looked to be a none breeder, still very dark about the face.

Colin

Thank you Colin for reporting the sighting., here's hoping that the puffins can have a better year than the last disastrous one.

Default And the housemartins

Go the puffins. My mission is to see one this year, i'm ashamed to say i've never seen a real live one.

Also, the housemartins are back!
    Spooky as i'd asked Highlander the other night if she'd seen any and the very next day i noticed the nest at my back door was being renovated and there they are today flying about. Welcome back my little lodgers. I may charge them rent this year.
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

I love this time of year, as all the birdies start coming back. As reported the other week, the sound of the curlews is now filling the air when I'm out at the washing line, I love it.

Most eagerly awaited though (in my eyes) are the swallows. I always think it's so incredible how far they travel, just to set up camp in our neighbours garage, lol ! Bring on the swallows!
    WeeBurd.

Went down by the castle and was quite suprised not to see any of the usual diving birds (auks guilimots or puffin) just shags, cormorants and gulls. Oh and fulmars lol. will keep a check over the next few weeks and let you know when i see any.

Default Puffins

South of Latheronwheel on Saturday, I got excited at what I thought were puffins on a cliff ledge. When I got home and transferred the photos on to the computer, I zoomed in for a better look - only to discover they were, in fact, guillemots! Boy, was I disappointed.
    So I'm still waiting for my first live sighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    South of Latheronwheel on Saturday, I got excited at what I thought were puffins on a cliff ledge. When I got home and transferred the photos on to the computer, I zoomed in for a better look - only to discover they were, in fact, guillemots! Boy, was I disappointed.
    So I'm still waiting for my first live sighting.
    Saw two off Lybster on Monday they were a good way out and still in winter feathers.
    Good guide for Puffins is they are smaller than most anything else bobbing about.

Colin

still not seen any colin but spotted my first razorbill today a sure sign things are happening

I have lived here for 20 years now and have never seen a Puffin. I have been to Duncansby, Dunnet Head everyone else weems to see them but not me. Please where is the best place so that this year I can see them
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Smile

Veekay,
    we went to Ducansby head today and on the first geo after the lighthouse there were oodles and oodles of them sunning themselves. I was delighted as i've never seen them before either.
    They were flying about and giving us quite a show. I cursed myself for no camera or binoculars but there's always a next time. Plenty of other birdies about but none so fantastic as our wee pal the puffin.
    Then we went for a wee cup of tea and a scone at the Pitlochry Knitwear in Groats.
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

Default Locally, in June and July.......

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    I have lived here for 20 years now and have never seen a Puffin. I have been to Duncansby, Dunnet Head everyone else weems to see them but not me. Please where is the best place so that this year I can see them
    The best place (for sheer numbers) to see puffins is the stack on the north coast Caithness/ Sutherland border. There is parking by the sign, you then have to walk for about 20 minutes to reach the spot.

Another place is Wester Whalegoe (just south of Whaligoe, Ulbster). They nest on the stack closest to (the natural arch) Kiln Geo.

Both of these locations are dangerous, but fortunately it is possible to view the seabirds without going very close to the edge of the cliffs.