Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Hoard So Much Junk ?

Default Why Do We Hoard So Much Junk ?

In my revious thread I was asking for help about knocking down built in wardrobes, well I started to clear them out today. Why do we keep so much stuff that we will never use and could be recycled.
    Any body else like our house thinking, Oh that could come in handy I will hang onto it !
    Purrrfect !!

Guilty as charged

Me too
    But today i had a clear out in the kids bedroom and got rid of all the toys with bits missing and things they never play with anymore and now i feel much better
    Always remember your unique, just like everyone else

Our used to be like that, hording everything and anything but every time we move if its been in our attic for the period of time we've been in a house and not used, it gets taken to the charity shops. Hubby is worse than me for hording in his shed and garage so when he goes out for the day ( not very often ) i have a good old route about to see what i can dump ! janx
    computer says no ........

yep, my mother in law takes the mickey out of me cause i keep all sorts of "keepsakes"

after having my 2nd son on the bathroom floor, she joked that id be wanting to keep the crapet instead of throwing it out!

Very guilty I'm afraid
    Certainly don't need loft insulation ~ there's that much up there, there's no room for draughts!

Oh isn't allowed to through my stuff out or me his.
    You cant move for junk in the shed,loft or the spare bedroom.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

we got rid of most of our junk, before we moved up here, and already in 1 year we have gathered a van load again.

some of it still in its moving box from last year!!!

visiting charity shops and south school having a january sale, so they can raise funds with the profits.

im guilty to, it's a wonder our ceiling has'nt come down around my lugs. i always say it might come in handy some day.

yep, also guilty, been going though the house this week getting rid of loads of stuff, putting other "oh that will be handy someday" stuff into the attic spaces, only to clear more out of them!!!!! some of the stuff in the attic has moved house with us 3 times, only to go straight into the new attic!!!!!!!!

I put all my keep sakes in a box, its starting to overflow now so will have to sort it out. I also have one for my son.

The rest of the house is junk free, thanks to ebay lol!!!

I used to hoard everything but having lost all my possessions once it certainly made me look at things differently. Now I hardly keep anything unless it's something I really need or want. I'm quite ruthless with everything I have now, to me it's just 'stuff'.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Default attic

i have a 8 x 4 trailer, and over the festive period have managed to get rid of 7 very full loads to the recycling place at the airport, i think most of it came from the attic after i had clear out to do a conversion, well between the attic, the shed and all the cupboards, have sworn not to to keep anything longer than 6 months from now on,
    i hate to throw things out, keep telling myself it may come in handy, lol

i admit it im a horder!! hope my other half doesnt read this!
    I have tryed to get rid of everything, I started will all the kids toys that they no longer play with then decided they were to good to get rid off so put them all in the loft!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Perhaps we're all a bunch of syllogomaniacs!

Although I don't feel quite as bad now, after reading about the woman in a case study mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

There is that much stuff in our loft I'm a wee bit concerned as to wether the roof will cave in one day.

I am also a hoarder, I will blast all the cupboards in the house and then think that might do so and so, oh maybe that will come in handy for this and that end result nice tidy cupboards, and room for EVEN more junk.

Smile no junk

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    In my revious thread I was asking for help about knocking down built in wardrobes, well I started to clear them out today. Why do we keep so much stuff that we will never use and could be recycled.
    Any body else like our house thinking, Oh that could come in handy I will hang onto it !
    i have just moved after 47 years in a 3 bedroom house. to a single bedroom. every thing i had would come in handy one day. today i cannot find my scissors curved for nose hair. so sad .

I used to be a hoarder but now I bin everything...and usually find a need for it a few days later But on the plus side it gives me more room for shoes x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Wink Reverse Hoarder

I am a reverse hoarder. I love to clear out rooms and bin/recycle/put to charity anything I feel I or my family no longer have need for.

I went to my mates house a few weeks ago, she jokingly said if I liked clearing rooms that I should do her daughters room...yup you guessed it I cleared it. 2 black bags chucked out/recycled etc Sense of euphoria afterwards. I know this is a wierd part of my personality but hey I love it.

To my hubbies relief I am a little freaked out about ladders and lofts so I have not got there yet. But if I do....look out....!
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast