Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bash the Yanks here

[quote=fred;214002]So a negroid American is the same race as a caucasian America

Negroid ?? Fred , think you're a bit behind the times, who even uses a term like that ?
    Fred, check out this link.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroid

Quote Originally Posted by Ojibwa View Post

Negroid ?? Fred , think you're a bit behind the times, who even uses a term like that ?
    Agreed! It's been a while since I heard that term.

Who cares if they gave it a different name, it was probably the Scots who brought it to the states. The culture of soccer is certainly better in North America than it is in Scotland. Here it is about having fun, taking part, keeping fit and active and achieving your own personal best.

The culture of it in Scotland is your either brainwashed to be Rangers or Celtic. I think that whole rivalry thing between the 2 is stupid. And people take it so seriously, I've found that on a whole in North America, all sports are more family friendly.

I know you were probably just joking around, but it is a bit tiresome seeing lots of threads saying Blame the Americans for yada yada yada.
    Actually I care that it has been given a different name. I agree with you to an extent about the role of football in schools - but diagree with the professional game in the USA - it has no culture.........hence the big investment by US money men in England and elsewhere.

If you don't get football rivalry, you don't get football.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

I have been following the Don Imus furore in the US. He is described as a 'Shockjock' for his type of controversial broadcasting, a sort of pseudo-white supremicist styled radio broadcaster. Ironically, the term 'shockjock' is freely used by Don Imus's critics, little do they realise that the term is equally potentially offensive as Don Imus's 'nappy headed hos'. 'Negroid' would be a term that any self-respecting 'shockjock' would be all too happy to include in their vocabulary....
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Apr-07 at 19:53.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Obviously I do, here are three dictionary definitions of the word. It is an adjective or a noun pertaining to one of the three basic racial classifications. Caucasian which I also used is an adjective pertaining to one of the others.

It was quite clear from the context of the post that the term was used in an anthropological sense, anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size can see there is no way it could have been taken to have a derogatory meaning, the word is there in three dictionaries, what is your problem?

fred, it dosent matter that it is in the dictionary,
    in america the word negro is a bad word.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    Actually I care that it has been given a different name.
    From what I have heard from a very reliable source and a quick scour of the internet is that "Soccer" was originally called "association football" during the formation of the Football Association in England in the 1860s. So the name could have its roots in the UK.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

[quote=Ojibwa;214086]
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    So a negroid American is the same race as a caucasian America

I think the term used in this thread was Yanks, and not americans. Yanks or Yankees are pretty much white caucasian from the original 13 State Union. If you go down to Alabama and call someone a yank they will probably laugh at you.

At the end of the day, no group of people from any country deserves to be categorised and bashed. I have lived in the USA for five years and although I am no big fan of their politcal methods or foreign policy, mostly all the people I have met with and become friends with are no different to any other people I have met in any other country or the people I grew up with in Scotland. Its easy for a lot of people to generalise and point fingers even if they don't know any americans. But each to their own

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    I have never known Negro to be a bad word in America, its an old world word its one not oft used any more but I don't think it is classed as being a derrogatory term here? On most sports shows they still refer to the all black professional leagues as Negro leagues, like the Negro Basebal Leagues and so on, they are not censored so I doubt its derrogatory. Neither is Black, and thats what Negro means. Now the 'N' word is an insult if a white person or any other race uses it to a black person in anger but no if a black person uses it to refer to his black friend, a white person can call a white prson nigga and think nothing of it "Whats up my nigga" and hispanics use it too amongst each other. Amongst young people of different races who are good friends will use it as a greeting to each other without malice, its almost as if its becoming a good word for some reason? Its a funny old world.

There are no bad words brandy, just bad people.

So long as the word negroid is used in its propper context to describe a set of racial characteristics there is nothing wrong with it at all. Look at this google news search and you will see the word used in newspapers from around the world in the past few weeks, including one in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    I have never known Negro to be a bad word in America, its an old world word its one not oft used any more but I don't think it is classed as being a derrogatory term here? On most sports shows they still refer to the all black professional leagues as Negro leagues, like the Negro Basebal Leagues and so on, they are not censored so I doubt its derrogatory. Neither is Black, and thats what Negro means. Now the 'N' word is an insult if a white person or any other race uses it to a black person in anger but no if a black person uses it to refer to his black friend, a white person can call a white prson nigga and think nothing of it "Whats up my nigga" and hispanics use it too amongst each other. Amongst young people of different races who are good friends will use it as a greeting to each other without malice, its almost as if its becoming a good word for some reason? Its a funny old world.
    Yes it's a funny old world. To me saying that the word Negro, used in its propper context, is derogatory is saying that being black is something to be ashamed of, it isn't, it is something to be proud of.

Let's not forget how much of modern music, jazz, blues, rock, soul had its roots in the negro spiritual.

honey, take it from someone that was born and raised in the south. where prejudices run deep still today. whew i could tell you stories just from my own family.
    the so called N word is just another form of negro and all its other forms.
    my granny use to call black negrra's the thing about it was, when she said neggra or nigger, she never said it in a derogetory way.. that is just what black people were to her.
    however, a tone of voice can change the meaning of anything,
    and where i come from... saying negro is just the same as the other words.
    its a derogetory and disdainfull name.
    i come from a land where racial purityis still held in high standards, and the KKK still have a lot of power.
    you have the white part of town and the black part of town. and never the twain to meet.
    Last edited by brandy; 18-Apr-07 at 22:39.
    http://itqueries.com/

honey, take it from someone that was born and raised in the south. where prejudices run deep still today. whew i could tell you stories just from my own family.
    my granny use to call black negrra's the thing about it was, when she said neggra or nigger, she never said it in a derogetory way.. that is just what black people were to her.
    however, a tone of voice can change the meaning of anything,
    and where i come from... saying negro is just the same as the other words.
    its a derogetory and disdainfull name.
    i come from a land where racial purityis still held in high standards, and the KKK still have a lot of power.
    you have the white part of town and the black part of town. and never the twain to meet.
    Yeah well I live in a predominantly black area of town, my wife is black and all my family in the states is too. The word Negro is not used as an insult anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    There are no bad words brandy, just bad people.
    Please try to differentiate the two. British law consistently makes laws against people like yourselves.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Apr-07 at 23:21.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

In this country it's perfectly acceptable to say someone is a Pakistani but the abbreviated form is a term of derrision and shouldn't be used.

Again it all comes down to the context in which the word is used, in the past I've read a few of the speeches of Martin Luther King and I know Negro is a word he used a lot.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I think the term used in this thread was Yanks, and not americans. Yanks or Yankees are pretty much white caucasian from the original 13 State Union. If you go down to Alabama and call someone a yank they will probably laugh at you.
    Here's Wikipedia's explanation of Yankee aka Yank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

I've been married to a New England Yankee for a number of years, and one of the first things he told me was, "Never call an American Southerner a Yank!"

At the end of the day, no group of people from any country deserves to be categorised and bashed. I have lived in the USA for five years and although I am no big fan of their politcal methods or foreign policy, mostly all the people I have met with and become friends with are no different to any other people I have met in any other country or the people I grew up with in Scotland. Its easy for a lot of people to generalise and point fingers even if they don't know any americans. But each to their own
    I've lived in the USA for a total of 13 years, and I couldn't agree with you more!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Brandy

I believe that good and bad are relative, maybe the intonation or inference may be a guide to this relativeness...perhaps political incorrectness in usage is whats makes a word more good than bad...here in Australia we are no longer politically correct for using Aborigine or Aboriginal, the "correct" terminology is Indigenous. However I have many 'blackfella' friends through my longtime working association in indigenous languages and they certainly don't mind calling me a 'whitefella', or, when they have had a few drinks, certain swear words in their own tongue... The point is, it is all relative to the intent and the reception. I can choose to be offended, or I can take it in a light hearted manner...With ancestors from Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada and NZ, just for starters, I suppose I am just a mongrel Australian!

Echidna

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123