Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100% Scottish?

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    "It's a wise child that knows it's own father!" as Shakespeare said.
    "We are all Jock Tamsons Bairns" allegedly said by the Rev John Thomson of Duddingston Kirk circa 1850's
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Default a very English Norman

[quote=Rheghead;168404]

.....Good old Norman Tebbit was 100% European though. No bike there then?

......I know what the programmes makers were trying to do, they were trying to pick on people who thought that race/skin colour had a part of what their Englishness is all about and thus tried to expose any racist confusions. For me it is a trivial matter.....[quote]

I was surprised none of them took the results to task. Are we all so blindly believing in this dna science? The keys to it are in so few hands. This programme had a definite agenda - ie. make some patriotic English people look stupid. I would have told them to get stiffed if I am allowed to say this on here. The only time they established a largely English dna (Tebbit) they described it as 'boring' - hardly objective.

Interesting.. I did not manage to see the programme but I was chatting to some of my students yesterday about racism and commented to them that a great deal of racist 'whites' would be horrified to discover that they all carried 'black' genes from distant ancestors. rofl when I read the above.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Interesting to see various posters assume racism is only a colour issue. There is white on white racism too, and this programme was racist towards the English. As usual Channel 4 went for the easy target. They wouldn't dare go for the Welsh, Scots or Irish, they wouldn't dare criticise British Muslims, or British Africans/Asians etc. no, they go for the English who alone among all the peoples of this island have no representation, and as such have no protection against such left wing PC racism.
    As I said at the beginning of this thread: How philosophical would posters to this thread be if the programme had been doing a hatchet job on Scots ancestry?
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 07-Dec-06 at 19:48.

Default umbrage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Interesting to see various posters assume racism is only a colour issue. There is white on white racism too, and this programme was racist towards the English. As I said at the beginning of this thread: How philosophical would posters to this thread be if the programme had been doing a hatchet job on Scots ancestry?
    I sometimes think the Scots are less prone to laugh at themselves as much as the English are. Given this then they might take some umbrage. I think the self deprecating nature of some English people - (often the lower socio-economic orders like me)is one of their most endearing qualities. I embrace it totally and often take 'the mick' out of myself. If that sounds Irish I make no apologies.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 07-Dec-06 at 19:46. Reason: just felt like it really

As I said at the beginning of this thread: How philosophical would posters to this thread be if the programme had been doing a hatchet job on Scots ancestry?
    It must be a very naive person who thinks their bloodlines are pure, so I can't understand why anyone should have a problem with the proving of it.

I didn't see the programme, but if those being tested volunteered, then they got their five minutes of fame..........and paid the price.

How can stating the obvious be a hatchet job?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    I didn't see the programme, but if those being tested volunteered, then they got their five minutes of fame..........and paid the price.

How can stating the obvious be a hatchet job?
    Then you didn't see the way the programme revelled in tearing apart the English identity. The one person whose test came back as typically 'English', Norman Tebbit, had his results described as 'boring'.
    I would have had more respect for the programme's results had it tested people from all four nations, rather than just singling out the English. But asIaready said, Channel 4 are too cowardly to take on anyone who has proper representation.

Then you didn't see the way the programme revelled in tearing apart the English identity.
    I saw something totally different in the programme. I didn't think it had a go at the English identity, rather, it had a go at people who thought that racial purity had anything to do with who they are.

Yes, they singled out the English, but anyone with a grain of intelligence could appreciate that the same arguement could apply to any nationality, it just so happened that it was a programme on British TV of which 80% of viewers are probably English.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12