Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: What's the square root of minus one?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll

11 14.10%

8 10.26%
  • both of the previous anwers

2 2.56%
  • don't know

6 7.69%
  • don't care

12 15.38%
  • don't understand the question

2 2.56%
  • i

28 35.90%
  • -i

3 3.85%
  • both of the previous answers

6 7.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the square root of minus 1?

Thumbs up

i but it was j when i was young

Alternative notation

In electrical engineering and related fields, the imaginary unit is often written as j to avoid confusion with electrical current as a function of time, traditionally denoted by i(t) or just i. The Python programming language also uses j to denote the imaginary unit.

I think that using a complicated form of differentiation you could calculate a theoretical answer........
    but in practical terms you can't have a square root for a negative number.

Quote Originally Posted by kenimac1 View Post
    I think that using a complicated form of differentiation you could calculate a theoretical answer........
    but in practical terms you can't have a square root for a negative number.

Think you can now! Wasn't the i invented (or whatever) so that you could find and use the square root of an negative number? It was then termed an 'imaginary' number hence the 'i'? Or have I gone all thick again???
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Where is our white knight when we need him to come charging in and explain all of this to us. DrSzin stop trying on kilts and get over here before our brains explode.

I'm sure when I was at College it was -j , so I'll say -i.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

Where is our white knight when we need him to come charging in and explain all of this to us. DrSzin stop trying on kilts and get over here before our brains explode.
    The good doc is certainly conspicuous by his absence! Perhaps he's away at some exotic location for the Szin in Kilts photo shoot!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

I didn't think my input was needed.

Porshiepoo gave the answer, explained why there are two roots, and explained why imaginary numbers are needed. Meanwhile, Colin's link to the Wikipedia page provided enough detail to sink a battleship in dihydrogen monoxide.

As Wikipedia explains in detail, there are two solutions to the equation

and these values for x, namely x = i and x = -i, are called the roots of the equation. The imaginary number i is defined by its square, namely i x i = -1. By convention, i (as opposed to -i) is usually called the square root of -1. Similarly, we usually say that 2 (as opposed to -2) is the square root of 4.

If I were marking an exam I would give full marks to the last and third-last answers, but take one mark off for the second-last one - for being obtuse! The answer "it doesn't exist" is ok if you restrict your answer to the set of real numbers.

There's a reasonable introduction to complex numbers on this Wikipedia page, but it gets hard quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Manson View Post
    Alternative notation

In electrical engineering and related fields, the imaginary unit is often written as j to avoid confusion with electrical current as a function of time, traditionally denoted by i(t) or just i.
    Yup, and vice versa for physicists. We usually use i for the square root of -1, and j for the current density (the charge passing through unit area per unit time.)

Unhappy I hate maths for this reason......

Imaginary Numbers grievous....

I doubt I will ever encounter a situation where I will have to deal with square roots of negative numbers. How can it be done ? After all, a positive number squared or a negative number squared will always equal a positive number?!

Mathematicians[how clever] have designated a special number 'i' which is equal to the square root of minus 1. Then, it follows that i2 = -1. To determine the square root of a negative number (-16 for example), take the square root of the absolute value of the number (square root of 16 = 4) and then multiply it by 'i'. So, the square root of -16 is 4i.
    As a double check, we can square 4i (4*4 = 16 and i*i =-1), producing -16.
    All negative square roots are called "imaginary numbers" (now you know where that letter 'i' comes from)........great!
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

well THAT cured my insomnia!!

So we've got the answer then: i.....an imaginary number.

I suppose -1 is imaginary anyway because how can you have -1 apples? If you've got -1 apples you might as well have -7654 apples......it'll not make a lot of difference.

What I want to know is......how many "i"s does it take to change a lightbulb?
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    What I want to know is......how many "i"s does it take to change a lightbulb?
    I would guess only one, if it was a negative, square lightbulb....

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    I would guess only one, if it was a negative, square lightbulb....
    ........and especially if the i was rooted to the spot........

Thank you all for taking part and for taking it seriously.

I checked back as far as post 25, at which point I took two asprin for my headache and went to lie in a darkened room.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    What is the square root of -1?

My pal's hubby asked me to post this.

Get yer neurons and synapses going!
    Minus one is pi =3.141592 etc multiplied by i so the square root of minus one does not exist!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12