Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy products are causing cancer.

Back on the urban myth that we have evolved as omnivores, here is another study which shows why our herbivore physiology is incompatible with a meateating diet. Unlike true omnivores like dogs bears and raccoons, the human body treats meat consumption and ingestion not with digestion but with a triggering of a toxic immune response which raises the risk of getting cancer, diabetes and other inflamatory problems.

Abstract

A well known, epidemiologically reproducible risk factor for human carcinomas is the long-term consumption of "red meat" of mammalian origin. Although multiple theories have attempted to explain this human-specific association, none have been conclusively proven. We used an improved method to survey common foods for free and glycosidically bound forms of the nonhuman sialic acid N-glycolylneuraminic acid (Neu5Gc), showing that it is highly and selectively enriched in red meat. The bound form of Neu5Gc is bioavailable, undergoing metabolic incorporation into human tissues, despite being a foreign antigen. Interactions of this antigen with circulating anti-Neu5Gc antibodies could potentially incite inflammation. Indeed, when human-like Neu5Gc-deficient mice were fed bioavailable Neu5Gc and challenged with anti-Neu5Gc antibodies, they developed evidence of systemic inflammation. Such mice are already prone to develop occasional tumors of the liver, an organ that can incorporate dietary Neu5Gc. Neu5Gc-deficient mice immunized against Neu5Gc and fed bioavailable Neu5Gc developed a much higher incidence of hepatocellular carcinomas, with evidence of Neu5Gc accumulation. Taken together, our data provide an unusual mechanistic explanation for the epidemiological association between red meat consumption and carcinoma risk. This mechanism might also contribute to other chronic inflammatory processes epidemiologically associated with red meat consumption

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25548184

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...76#post1158876
    Last edited by Rheghead; 04-Jan-17 at 19:52.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Here is a Telegraph article of the study for those who struggle with the esoteric language of science reports.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...ists-find.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The countries with the highest incidence of osteoporosis are the countries with the highest consumption of dairy products.

Perhaps that is a freak coincidence.

my bold :

Osteoporosis is a major health problem, especially in elderly populations, and is associated with fragility fractures at the hip, spine, and wrist. Hip fracture contributes to both morbidity and mortality in the elderly. The demographics of world populations are set to change, with more elderly living in developing countries, and it has been estimated that by 2050 half of hip fractures will occur in Asia. This review conducted using the PubMed database describes the incidence of hip fracture in different regions of the world and discusses the possible causes of this wide geographic variation. The analysis of data from different studies show a wide geographic variation across the world, with higher hip fracture incidence reported from industrialized countries as compared to developing countries. The highest hip fracture rates are seen in North Europe and the US and lowest in Latin America and Africa. Asian countries such as Kuwait, Iran, China, and Hong Kong show intermediate hip fracture rates. There is also a north–south gradient seen in European studies, and more fractures are seen in the north of the US than in the south.

The factors responsible of this variation are population demographics (with more elderly living in countries with higher incidence rates) and the influence of ethnicity, latitude, and environmental factors. The understanding of this changing geographic variation will help policy makers to develop strategies to reduce the burden of hip fractures in developing countries such as India, which will face the brunt of this problem over the coming decades.

abstract

We did evolve as ominivores. The archaeological evidence for that is irrefutable. We also possess a pair of canine teeth in our jaw! If we were herbivores, our dentition would reflect that and it does not. Those are the FACTS.
    As for your study, I have yet to meet a 'human-like' mouse- in other words, a strain of laboratory animals already highly modified that would not have evolved naturally. Also, I have yet to see one that eats meat. No wonder the poor things got liver cancer.
    I wonder if you listened to radio 4 this morning and the study that links living near a busy road to the development of Alzheimers dementia. On there the difference between 'association' with a disease and 'causal effect' was made clear and that the study is useful at population level. That equally applies to the things that you bang on about on here. An illustration of this concept was made as follows. People with depression may tend to wear dark clothing but wearing dark clothing does not cause them to have the depression. We evolved to eat meat sparingly. You have never been able to show me the evidence that proves that doing that 'causes' cancer and that is because there isn't any. Also, you totally fail to take into account, among many other things that there are racial differences at play in susceptibility to particular forms of cancer. Cancer is generated at gene level involving loci on genes, the immune system and many other fators. It is incredibly complex and yet you offer black and white simplistic so-called 'causes' and 'preventative measures'. It is not like that- ask any vegan who has sadly developed cancer.

I know a vegan who has osteoporosis & he developed this in his 40s,

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    my bold :

Osteoporosis is a major health problem, especially in elderly populations, and is associated with fragility fractures at the hip, spine, and wrist. Hip fracture contributes to both morbidity and mortality in the elderly. The demographics of world populations are set to change, with more elderly living in developing countries, and it has been estimated that by 2050 half of hip fractures will occur in Asia. This review conducted using the PubMed database describes the incidence of hip fracture in different regions of the world and discusses the possible causes of this wide geographic variation. The analysis of data from different studies show a wide geographic variation across the world, with higher hip fracture incidence reported from industrialized countries as compared to developing countries. The highest hip fracture rates are seen in North Europe and the US and lowest in Latin America and Africa. Asian countries such as Kuwait, Iran, China, and Hong Kong show intermediate hip fracture rates. There is also a north–south gradient seen in European studies, and more fractures are seen in the north of the US than in the south.

The factors responsible of this variation are population demographics (with more elderly living in countries with higher incidence rates) and the influence of ethnicity, latitude, and environmental factors. The understanding of this changing geographic variation will help policy makers to develop strategies to reduce the burden of hip fractures in developing countries such as India, which will face the brunt of this problem over the coming decades.

abstract
    Eating dairy is predicted to increase in the east because the desire to eat those products. How many cases could be reduced if they kept to a vegan diet because animal derived calcium seems to increase the risk of ostoeporosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    We did evolve as ominivores. The archaeological evidence for that is irrefutable. We also possess a pair of canine teeth in our jaw! If we were herbivores, our dentition would reflect that and it does not. Those are the FACTS.
    As for your study, I have yet to meet a 'human-like' mouse- in other words, a strain of laboratory animals already highly modified that would not have evolved naturally. Also, I have yet to see one that eats meat. No wonder the poor things got liver cancer.
    I wonder if you listened to radio 4 this morning and the study that links living near a busy road to the development of Alzheimers dementia. On there the difference between 'association' with a disease and 'causal effect' was made clear and that the study is useful at population level. That equally applies to the things that you bang on about on here. An illustration of this concept was made as follows. People with depression may tend to wear dark clothing but wearing dark clothing does not cause them to have the depression. We evolved to eat meat sparingly. You have never been able to show me the evidence that proves that doing that 'causes' cancer and that is because there isn't any. Also, you totally fail to take into account, among many other things that there are racial differences at play in susceptibility to particular forms of cancer. Cancer is generated at gene level involving loci on genes, the immune system and many other fators. It is incredibly complex and yet you offer black and white simplistic so-called 'causes' and 'preventative measures'. It is not like that- ask any vegan who has sadly developed cancer.
    How many studies does it take to convince you that eating meat and dairy products increases the risk of developing cancer?

It is not fiction, it is fact.

Have you considered that you are not willing to listen because you like meat and dairy so much or your livelihood depends on selling those products?

Here is another study which shows that casein the main protein in milk promotes the growth of cancerous tumours.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25237656

Milk in the UK is allowed a somatic cell count of up to 400,000 per millilitre.

Somatic cells are white blood cells (think of pus) which are released by the cow in response to a bacterial infection like mastitis which is a particularly painful infection caused my milking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Milk in the UK is allowed a somatic cell count of up to 400,000 per millilitre.

Somatic cells are white blood cells (think of pus) which are released by the cow in response to a bacterial infection like mastitis which is a particularly painful infection caused my milking.
    why are you milking then?
    W.A.T.P.

I need to confess….I went out last night and had a succulentjuicy, melt in the mouth fillet steak at the Castletown.
    I know it ‘may’ shorten my lifespan, but it was worth it.
    Can any of the veggies reading this, point me in thedirection of something plant based that tastes as good and makes you feel good?

Have you tasted sprouts??
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman View Post
    Have you tasted sprouts??
    Yes and they are absolutely wonderful when roasted with salt, olive oil and garlic until the outer leaves go black. They are so sweet and delicious that I often have them as a snack on their own.

Somatic cells in milk are mainly white blood cells, (leucocytes). We all have them circulating in our blood and while they are produced as an immune response to infection, they are the corner stone of the immune system. If there is a localised infection causing pus to form, it comprises dead leucocytes and debris resulting from the immune response. FACT. To imply that milk contains pus is a twisting of the truth.
    Last edited by Fulmar; 08-Jan-17 at 13:06.

Umm..........I was going to try a big bowl of sprouts boiled in cow pus (meat eaters call it 'milk' ) but I have lost my appetite.

Ps.....can we keep this thread going till next New Year

Somatic cells in milk are mainly white blood cells, (leucocytes). We all have them circulating in our blood and while they are produced as an immune response to infection, they are the corner stone of the immune system. If there is a localised infection causing pus to form, it comprises dead leucocytes and debris resulting from the immune response. FACT. To imply that milk contains pus is a twisting of the truth.
    Milk contains dead leucocytes which is pus. That is the truth. If you mixed cow pus into milk it would be indistinguishable from the dead leucocytes in the milk. You are drinking pus.

Ok. So is it just cows' milk, in your slanted view, that contains 'pus' or is it all milk? Or is it just cows' milk because you don't like the fact that people drink it? What about goats' milk- people drink that too and ewes' and yaks' and camels' milk too, in some countries What about human milk? Are all babes nurtured at the breast drinking pus? That would come as news to many, I am sure, but in your strange logic, it seems it must be likely. No, I don't think so and yes, breast feeding women get mastitis too sometimes and generally, one does not have to stop feeding the baby but put protective measures in place until the condition resolves.
    Last edited by Fulmar; 08-Jan-17 at 17:47.

Oh- and the protective measures are for the mother and not for the baby.
    I think it is a wonder that mammals (including your beloved herbivores) have survived at all given what, according to you, their poor benighted mothers are feeding them on. A wonder too that new born baby mammals suckle with such obvious relish when they are receiving something that, in your take on things, is so utterly putrid.
    Goodness, it's enough to make anyone reach for a latte!

es and they are absolutely wonderful when roasted with salt, olive oil and garlic until the outer leaves go black. They are so sweet and delicious that I often have them as a snack on their own.
    Red Flag alert! Eating charred sprouts that are black on the outside? Hmm, dodgy! I would not risk it. Don't you know that eating charred food has allegedly been said to be carcinogenic, (or have they changed their minds on that one now, I cannae mind)? No more going outside to scrape the black off the toast either- (well, it makes such a mess if you do it in the kitchen, doesn't it)?
    Better just boil the sprouts from now on- everso much safer. You don't want to be raising your cancer risk by a point zero, zero zero zero zer........percent, now do you.

Ok. So is it just cows' milk, in your slanted view, that contains 'pus' or is it all milk? Or is it just cows' milk because you don't like the fact that people drink it? What about goats' milk- people drink that too and ewes' and yaks' and camels' milk too, in some countries What about human milk? Are all babes nurtured at the breast drinking pus? That would come as news to many, I am sure, but in your strange logic, it seems it must be likely. No, I don't think so and yes, breast feeding women get mastitis too sometimes and generally, one does not have to stop feeding the baby but put protective measures in place until the condition resolves.
    Women can get mastitis too but women usually get treatment for it and quite rightly so. Veterinary fees are expensive and often injuries are ignored. Cows are forced to get pregnant then they have their calves taken away from them so we can drink their milk. The calves are then killed early on or sold as veal, not much of a life really. They are then milked by machine where their udders often get really sore via mastitis. The cows get so spent up being pregnant that they become unproductive and they are killed for dogmeat or burgers after just 5 years of life. Not much of a life I'm afraid. A cow's lifespan is about 20 years if loved.