Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New Thurso Hotel and Public Park Plan and the Present Local Plan Review

I convinced the Highland Council Planning officials to recommend supporting the project, all Caithness Councillors had to do was say Aye! On August 31st just passed they said Nay! I'm still at a loss to why?
    Perhaps you need to try plain brown envelopes stuffed with cash for them,lol. Plus I think mi16 has a point in their last post.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Indeed, I suspect the correct palms were not suitably greased prior to decision day
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Indeed, I suspect the correct palms were not suitably greased prior to decision day
    I was told there was something in the planning officials recommendations the councillors were not happy with. I am making some modifications and they will have the final vote on the subject early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Taylor View Post
    I was told there was something in the planning officials recommendations the councillors were not happy with. I am making some modifications and they will have the final vote on the subject early next year.
    Next YEAR !
    No wonder Caithness is rundown and in the state it's in, tell the highland council to get their finger OUT.
    BRING BACK CAITHNESS COUNTY COUNCIL.
    I'm gonna write a letter !
    Last edited by gaza; 19-Oct-16 at 22:42.

Raymond's vision looks like a horror version of a 1970s holiday camp to me. Why would I want to bring an old fashioned Butlin's lookalike to Thurso and thereby destroy one of the greatest natural vistas in the world? Once destroyed there's no going back to virgin fields and a sheepies' paradise.

The obvious solution that will keep developers and conservationists happy is to build a fancy hotel, restaurant and chalets in situ at Pennyland, west of Castlegreen Road. This will involve demolishing some delapidated buildings and one or two others but this is surely a minor price to pay by the people of Thurso to secure their families' future with minimum destruction of the natural environment.

The county's councillors have a clear rational vision and we should all join together and support them because they have the town's best interest in mind and they know what's best for the town's future.

Why would you want to see buildings of historical interest demolished cratrolla
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Raymond's vision looks like a horror version of a 1970s holiday camp to me. Why would I want to bring an old fashioned Butlin's lookalike to Thurso and thereby destroy one of the greatest natural vistas in the world? Once destroyed there's no going back to virgin fields and a sheepies' paradise.

The obvious solution that will keep developers and conservationists happy is to build a fancy hotel, restaurant and chalets in situ at Pennyland, west of Castlegreen Road. This will involve demolishing some delapidated buildings and one or two others but this is surely a minor price to pay by the people of Thurso to secure their families' future with minimum destruction of the natural environment.

The county's councillors have a clear rational vision and we should all join together and support them because they have the town's best interest in mind and they know what's best for the town's future.
    This one's havin a Larf, on so many levels.

"Raymond's vision looks like a horror"

I'll tell you my vision, which is not fanciful like yours having just heard this morning about more redundancies at Dounreay.

Thurso, Caithness and the Highlands from Inverness north are 5 years behind where we should be as far as grasping the opportunities that are there for all to see in tourism. Tourism could be huge in this area. Just this past month we had travel writers staying with us telling me the surface has only been scratched regarding the NC500 which is only part of the tourism scene up here.

The real horror story is the NC500 is at capacity, it is basically full unless the seasons extend. Just off the top of my head knowing what we could do here at the B&B and the new hotel etc, I reckon 3000 bed spaces are needed in quick order around the route. Road infrastructure has also to be improved without compromising the quaintness of the road.

I am sure Visit Scotland who identified the need for more quality "hotels" in Caithness in a report before the NC500 was "discovered" are of a similar view.

Will we look back in a few years that as an area a huge opportunity has been lost? Only time will know the answer to that one.

I meet Roy Kirk (HIE) next week to discuss. In the 80's grants were given to individuals to open up properties for B&B rooms through the Highlands. This needs to be resurrected in some way to help a little in the short term. Even if I get the nod next January from councillors it will take 3 years to get the doors open.

The chance is there for us to grasp but we need to move swiftly remembering "Opportunity never knocks twice"
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 20-Oct-16 at 12:41.

I for one would consider letting one or possibly two rooms out on a B & B basis if there was some sort of financial help, some practical advice would be good too. I would use local butchers for bacon, sausages, etc. so money would circulate locally.
    Let me know if your discussions are fruitful.
    All I would need to do is take some charm lessons!

I have kept out of this because in fairness, I am not from here I just live here, however crayola regardless what you think of Butlins (Bourne Leisure) and how old fashioned it is / was, that company keeps resorts like Skegness, Minehead and Bognor going. I can't comment on Bognor and Minehead but Butlins in Skegness is one of the towns major employers.

While Bourne Leisure has nothing at all to do with this argument, I know for a fact when my partners contract at Vulcan is finished we are out of here and I would imagine it will be the same for a fair amount of Dounreay and Vulcan workers because nothing has replaced it.

Your argument crayola seems to be you think Raymond's hotel is going to destroy the view. From what I can understand from the plans, he is not building along the whole of the far north coast, he is building on a tiny percentage of it. There is very little else here apart from views.

From what I can see, all Raymond is trying to do is to attract more visitors to Thurso, however in my opinion it's going to take more than a hotel and whatever else he is building. A lot of tourists I spoke to (when I worked at a local hotel) saw Thurso as a stopping off point for the Orkneys and that was it. People here need to start looking at the bigger picture, the businesses (shops, cafe's and so on) have to start catering for tourists. Just one example, a coach trip turns up and they have a free day on Sunday and want to go to the Castle Of Mey or John 'O Groats, they can't get there unless they pay a small fortune for a taxi as there is no bus service runs on a Sunday, there are very few shops open on Sunday, and maybe one cafe and that is in the height of the summer. A cruise ship docks at 7am and the passengers want to go into Thurso, they can't even get a cup of coffee. Quaint will only get you so far I'm afraid. I worked at The Castle Of Mey when I moved here in 2009 and asked why they closed from September to April, I was told, because nobody comes here !

While you may not agree with Raymond and his plans crayola, for whatever given reason, at least he is trying to do something which is more than can be said for anybody else.

Well said cptdodger,spot on.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik.M. View Post
    Well said cptdodger,spot on.
    try getting a meal after 9pm in the evening or 2pm in the afternoon for lunch, you get looked at like you have defecated on the floor
    Last edited by mi16; 21-Oct-16 at 00:19.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I have kept out of this because in fairness, I am not from here I just live here....
    Not from here but living here makes you far more qualified to comment than being from here but not living here in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Your argument crayola seems to be you think Raymond's hotel is going to destroy the view....
    Certainly not her view since she doesn't even live here anymore...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Anyone can see that this can only be beneficial to the town. We need to look to the future and if there is going to be a future for those who live here, our children, our grandchildren. Crayola has some sort of personal vendetta against Raymond, that is obvious from this and some of her other posts, she wants to see Raymond's house pulled down and listed buildings which in my understanding are not very easy to get permission to pull down anyway. I think Crayolas comments should be ignored and everyone should look at what is actually on offer here. Fantastic opportunities to bring in a proper tourist trade to benefit the town. Good luck Raymond you have the support of many of us and hopefully the powers that be will remember they are representing the people of this community and do what is best for us!

Raymond's holiday camp would vandalise the vista, and it would severely sour the ambiance and the amenity on and around Victoria Walk for future generations. Throwing the baby out with the bath water is not a good plan.

The obvious solution is to build a top class hotel on the current Pennyland House site. This will have fabulous views over the land and the sea at little cost and disadvantage to the thousands of people of the town. Come on Raymond you know it makes sense! What reason can you give for not doing it? And don't avoid the question!

Or build your holiday camp at Thurso East where it won't vandalise the vista for so many.

Your ridiculous argument is stuck Crayola, like a bad record. If you knew about the history of the house or anything about Historic buildings and planning policy you would understand how silly your sounding. The Outbuildings will be developed to enhance the history of the house and the connection to the Boys Brigade while also complementing my plans to make the west of Thurso a hive of business and activity.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 20-Oct-16 at 22:02.

The obvious solution is to build a top class hotel on the current Pennyland House site. This will have fabulous views over the land and the sea at little cost and disadvantage to the thousands of people of the town. Come on Raymond you know it makes sense! What reason can you give for not doing it? And don't avoid the question!
    Why on earth would anybody in their right mind destroy a building with such historical value ? I come from a place that has done just that over the years, absolutely destroyed countless beautiful buildings and literally ripped the heart out of the place. Now they are practically having to start from scratch rebuilding the place. If I want to look at my towns history, I have to look at old photos or go to a museum. Is that what you want for Thurso ? Once these buildings are gone, they are gone for good.

I hope Raymond, Pennyland House is listed because it is a lovely looking house.

To be honest crayola, by the sounds of it Raymond's plans for his new hotel are not the problem, you have just basically got it in for him.

The capitalist developer resorts to personal attacks and refuses to discuss the issues professionally when he has his back to the wall.

My knowledge of historic buildings is first class. I once worked for them!

To get back to the point. I want to save the area from wanton destruction. I have no personal interest in the purveyor of wanton destruction as I am a woman of high moral principle. My goal is to help prevent the people of Thurso from walking into an environmental and perhaps also an economic disaster for the town.

Surely you mean 'loose' morals ?
    You used to tell us all about the hoi polloi you (literally) used to nob about with and how you were a page three stunner.
    now you tell us you worked in historic buildings (presumably horizontally) and you're on a mission to save the simple folk of thurso from the nasty capitalist mannie ?

The capitalist developer resorts to personal attacks and refuses to discuss the issues professionally when he has his back to the wall.

My knowledge of historic buildings is first class. I once worked for them!

To get back to the point. I want to save the area from wanton destruction. I have no personal interest in the purveyor of wanton destruction as I am a woman of high moral principle. My goal is to help prevent the people of Thurso from walking into an environmental and perhaps also an economic disaster for the town.
    Unfortunately crayola you just come across as vindictive. It sounds like you think people in Thurso are too stupid to make their own minds up about Raymonds proposed development, and you have to save them from themselves. If you care about Thurso so much, you move here, you come up with a viable plan to create jobs. Because in the very near future the only economic disaster that is going to befall Thurso and the surrounding area is when Dounreay and Vulcan finally close for good, not when somebody builds a hotel.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast