Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: NHS Service in Caithness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the consultian that is now leaving will be a huge lose to cgh he has a good patient bed side manner that actullay cares about the patient and treats them as one of his own i will miss he and know others that will come on managerment take action before you yourselfs are out of a job too but then they wiull just move off and leave us up here with out a hospital

At this rate will the NHS disappear in Caithness? Raigmore seems to be about to become our local hospital! Yet, has that not been happening slowly anyway in recent times? Wick to Inverness must be a similar journey as say Perth to Inverness. Perhaps it could be suggested in Holyrood that all the elderly and sick Tayside folk will have to travel to Inverness for Consultant appointments and operations in future?

During the worst November weather known to man a couple of years ago we set off from Thurso to attend a follow up appointment in Western General Hospital in Edinburgh where my husband was due to see his urological consultant the next day. We arrived at our accommodation just before midnight and were surprised the next day how quiet the clinic was. Mr D was due to see 24 patients, but only ourselves and a couple from Dundee and two men from Berwick upon Tweed turned up. All the rest of the appointments were cancelled by Edinburgh locals. Total waste of a surgeons time. Luckily the accommodation was available for us for another night and we were able to stay until the roads were slightly improved and even then had to spend the next again night in Inverness as the A9 was closed.

My husband would not be alive today if it was not for Mr D who offered pioneering surgery never before considered in the UK and we are grateful to him for that, but I would not want to relive the five years of travelling regularly for surgeries and treatment. Going to Inverness is a nightmare for old folks we need to fight to retain our services and improve life locally.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Superior View Post
    At this rate will the NHS disappear in Caithness? Raigmore seems to be about to become our local hospital! Yet, has that not been happening slowly anyway in recent times? Wick to Inverness must be a similar journey as say Perth to Inverness. Perhaps it could be suggested in Holyrood that all the elderly and sick Tayside folk will have to travel to Inverness for Consultant appointments and operations in future?
    Maybe we will be left with no hospital or at least not as we know it. Never mind the VET can maybe take over and start operating on us at this rate our chances of survival might be better. Imagine asking folks in the central belt to travel for hospital appointments or better still folks in Inverness I can already hear the outcry.It will be Highland clearances all over again. Everyone leaving to go to where at least we can get healthcare jobs etc.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

I am just wondering If our Member of Parliament is aware that there is an election next May? Or does he not see the need to speak out for the interests of his constituents and his re-election will be automatic? Hmmm!

If there are any other candidates, or their party colleagues, opposing our current MP next May, and they are reading this thread, would they like to give their views on the situation at the CGH?

Reading back through the thread there appears to be some confusion surrounding which of our 'so called' representatives does not realise their is a problem at CGH and my previous post may have been unfair on our MP. So is it our Lib Dem MP or our SNP MSP who have their 'head in the sand'? Perhaps our Westminster MP has no interest in the NHS in Caithness because Westminster does not administer Scotland's NHS? So can we really blame him if he should be avoiding the CGH issue and deny him our trusted vote once again next May? But am I right in thinking that our MSP is a colleague of Scotland's Health Minister who has her tightly clenched hand on the purse strings? So could it therefore be argued that it is our MSP who has to ask himself whose interests he represents?

Our MP John Thurso has his finger firmly on the pulse of the happenings at Caithness General. Just because he is not shouting about it from the rooftops does not mean he does not care or is not supporting his constituents to get us a fair deal.

Mr Gibson on the other hand...........head in sand.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Three Hail Marys for Mr Gibson I think.

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Our MP John Thurso has his finger firmly on the pulse of the happenings at Caithness General. Just because he is not shouting about it from the rooftops does not mean he does not care or is not supporting his constituents to get us a fair deal.

You know this, how? John Thurso has been conspicuous by his absence in this very important local issue

It is good to learn that at least one of our representatives is working away quietly behind the scenes checking pulses at Caithness General and trying not to make too much fuss. Meanwhile, Caithness folk hope and pray that they will not need emergency surgery at a time inconvenient to the pen pushers in Inverness or our Health Minister in Holyrood. Many sensible folk, especially the elderly and infirm, will of course be considering placing their property on the market and heading south rather than put their lives at risk any longer.

I am not a great supporter of Rob Gibson but he is the only politician who has commented on it but only once. Thurso hardly ever speaks on any issues. The Labour candidate for 2015 GE should be jumping up & down about it, even if it just to 'show he cares'. The 3 prospective SNP MP candidates have not made it an issue. Not heard any of the List MSP's discussing it.

What does this mean? Maybe all of the parties could not give a hoot about Caithness?