Quote Originally Posted by munron View Post
I hummed and I haaad and then thought oh why not.

Why do people get an animal without doing any research as to how much it may potentially cost them in the future? A simple phone call before procuring your pet or allowing you pet to breed would have solved a simple problem about how much to spay / neuter. This could then have entered into your accounts to whether you could have afforded said pet. A simple geographical search and some logic applied would have confirmed that PDSA would not have been available to spay / neuter but another simple phone call would have assured you that should your finances deserve it there is PDSA available up here for all other unforeseen ailments.

The PDSA spay /neuter scheme runs at a loss, not really financially viable for a business with good people to pay. A discount scheme is offered to local charities to alleviate some of the burden they endure for other peoples inconsiderate breeding.

Any other vets are most welcome to come up and set up practice, it is not an exclusive market.

If you wish your pet "done" in a tin shed with very little overheads and no sterile environment, clean kennel, food, nurses, staff and qualified surgeons then I am sure there are a few potential butchers that can oblige.

I just googled the private price of a hysterectomy on a woman and it is about 5k, I didnt google male castration but I can see there should be a market for it.

Now I may be a bit flippant but sometimes people just annoy me, the fact that they have to pay for something outrages them, without a thought for even the most simple aspect of the people behind that business, the care, the equipment, the skill, the overheads and that goes for every business out there trying to make a few pence to keep their heads above water.

But if you are ever in the unfortunate position to phone the vet in the middle of the night to ask for advice on your beloved animal - make sure you ask the price so you can moan the greedy brute charged you a whooping nothing!!!!
I like your post, are you a vet per chance