Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: James Robertson/Robeson & Elizabeth McDonald-Canisbay & Thurso

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question James Robertson/Robeson & Elizabeth McDonald-Canisbay & Thurso

Hello!
    Does anybody have info about my ggrandparents James Robertson b. 1833 Canisbay or wife Eliza McDonald b. 1834/5 probably Thurso? Names and birth dates are right, but origins in Caithness are a bit shaky.

I think James Robertson was born in Canisbay (1841 census), and his parents were probably James Robertson and Elizabeth Gray (b. 1802). In OPR birth records name given as Robeson. He had three sisters - Ann and Margaret (twins?) both given as born 1826, and Janet b. 1831. Father James appears to be dead by 1841 census, mother E. Robertson's occupation given as "cottager".

Elizabeth McDonald's father was Hugh (stated in her marriage registration Aberdeen 1854, and his occupation given as "farmer"). The only people with these names and right age for Elizabeth (1841 census) give mother as Margaret, and sisters Barbra, Christina & Catherine. Can't find them in 1851 census.

I'm not 100% about James' and Elizabeth's parents, but if they are in anybody else's tree or any kind soul has info about these names I'd be really grateful to know.

Thanks!!

Helen nee Robertson
    Last edited by helenwyler; 25-Mar-07 at 11:09.