Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taxi Charges Review

Default Taxi Charges Review

What are your views on this (article on front page)?

Personally I think it's ridiculous that the council are allowing taxi companies to charge higer prices- they are far to high as it it! Costing over £100 to get from Wick to Inverness is totaly out of line. Especially the state and comfort in taxis in the North of Scotland- they say that we have the lowest charges for taxis here, I'd hate to see the price of taxis elsewhere. I don't agree with the fact they are increasing, especiall they taxis up here which the drivers often smoke in, drive far too fast and oblivious to other road users we shoud NOT be charged any more than we already do!

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    What are your views on this (article on front page)?

Personally I think it's ridiculous that the council are allowing taxi companies to charge higer prices- they are far to high as it it! Costing over £100 to get from Wick to Inverness is totaly out of line. Especially the state and comfort in taxis in the North of Scotland- they say that we have the lowest charges for taxis here, I'd hate to see the price of taxis elsewhere. I don't agree with the fact they are increasing, especiall they taxis up here which the drivers often smoke in, drive far too fast and oblivious to other road users we shoud NOT be charged any more than we already do!
    So how much should it be from Wick to Inverness? Bearing in mind that its at least 5 hours of a drivers time, and £30 in fuel?

If drivers are smoking in taxis, report them. And Wick taxi drivers are no worse drivers than anyone else in Wick, but only because there is no lower driving standard !
    Last edited by DeHaviLand; 15-Apr-08 at 22:37.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    So how much should it be from Wick to Inverness? Bearing in mind that its at least 5 hours of a drivers time, and £30 in fuel?

If drivers are smoking in taxis, report them. And Wick taxi drivers are no worse drivers than anyone else in Wick, but only because there is no lower driving standard !
    So are you trying to say that you don't feel completely ripped off by the charges taxi firms charge? If they are even thinking about increasing the prices, they can at least improve cleanliness, comfort and safety of passangers. I can't believe you can say that they are not any worse than any other drivers in Wick. Most peoples attitude towards taxi drivers is "They think they own the road" or am I wrong. I've only heard that phrase from "hundreds" of people. A lot don't look very approachable, some never say a word to you unless they're asking for the money, most the drivers speed and also think they can skip traffic lights beside D.E. shoe shop.

If you can't afford to use the taxi take the bus....

Long distance rates can be high - take a taxi from Oxford to Gatwick and it'll cost around £130.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    If you can't afford to use the taxi take the bus....

Long distance rates can be high - take a taxi from Oxford to Gatwick and it'll cost around £130.
    Oh, I don't use taxis at all, simply because of the cost but what my job is to do as convener of transport for the Highland's Youth Parliament is to REDUCE the cost of public transport but it looks like they are going in the completely opposite direction and increasing them. If the council want to increase the charges, they can at least offer the "coupon scheme" where they subsidise the cost of taxis for people. If they have the cheek to raise the prices even more, they can at least review the hygene in taxis first.

It is the 'peeping' of the horn to announce their arrival that bugs me. Gone are the days of a taxi driver knocking on your door to announce its arrival.
    I too have seen taxi drivers smoking in their cabs, wouldn't know who to report it to though. The taxi firm I guess, but reckon that would make no difference.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Can I just say, after speaking to someone, I was just told it cost £7 to get from Lidls in Wick to a house less than half a mile away. Please say you don't think this is an acceptable price to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    It is the 'peeping' of the horn to announce their arrival that bugs me. Gone are the days of a taxi driver knocking on your door to announce its arrival.
    I too have seen taxi drivers smoking in their cabs, wouldn't know who to report it to though. The taxi firm I guess, but reckon that would make no difference.
    Yes and even in the middle of the night, they still beep the horn loudly outsidd houses.

Well, it was Alistair Dodds you used to complained to but he is now the Chief Executive so I don;t know who it is now. I believe it is the Director of Corporate services or I could be completely wrong.

I have although sent a big email to the Highland Council TEC services and mentioned this in my email.

Oh, I don't use taxis at all, simply because of the cost but what my job is to do as convener of transport for the Highland's Youth Parliament is to REDUCE the cost of public transport but it looks like they are going in the completely opposite direction and increasing them. If the council want to increase the charges, they can at least offer the "coupon scheme" where they subsidise the cost of taxis for people. If they have the cheek to raise the prices even more, they can at least review the hygene in taxis first.
    And where will the money for these "coupons' be expected to come from?

Taxi firms are businesses - you expect them to reduce their prices given the increasing costs of fuel, insurance, upkeep of vehicles and drivers wages?

You don't appear to have a clue about running a business. And you have had "hundreds" of people come to you to complain about taxis?

Can I just say, after speaking to someone, I was just told it cost £7 to get from Lidls in Wick to a house less than half a mile away. Please say you don't think this is an acceptable price to pay?
    Yes it is - I pay about £5-8 for a taxi to do about the same distance.

There is only one decent taxi firm in Wick and that is Dina's Taxis. They are well driven, polite, reliable, spotless clean cars, smartly dressed, reasonable fares and very helpful and obliging. The rest are just as you have stated rfr10.

And where will the money for these "coupons' be expected to come from?

Taxi firms are businesses - you expect them to reduce their prices given the increasing costs of fuel, insurance, upkeep of vehicles and drivers wages?

You don't appear to have a clue about running a business. And you have had "hundreds" of people come to you to complain about taxis?

Yes it is - I pay about £5-8 for a taxi to do about the same distance.

Ok.. I'll change what I've said slightly to make it more fair but this does not mean I'm accepting the high costs.

Basically, if they want to increase the charges, they can firstly monitor the hygene in taxis and frienliness of drivers and THEN they can THINk about increasing the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    There is only one decent taxi firm in Wick and that is Dina's Taxis. They are well driven, polite, reliable, spotless clean cars, smartly dressed, reasonable fares and very helpful and obliging. The rest are just as you have stated rfr10.
    Thank you! I didn't think I was the only one who saw what taxis are like and yes Venture, I totally agree with you in saying that the only decent firm is Dina's.

Everyone knows that the upkeep of a car is expensive and a car covering as many miles is a taxi is bound to suffer from excessive wear and tear. Add to that the cost of fuel and its inevetible that the prices have to increase.

I'm not sure how all firms work out wages, but I know some taxi drivers earn 1/3 of the money they take in. Most of the time this works out below minimum wage.

I don't often use taxi's, so I must admit I won't be affected much, but you can't put a price on your own safety. A lot of people I know that complain about the cost of taxi's don't object to spending £50 on a night out

The customer has a choice - if they don't like the standard of "service" offered by a particular taxi firm then they can go elsewhere. But for smarter, cleaner, newer cars expect to pay a higher rate.
    You want cheap taxis, expect to find a clapped out Lada turning up outside your door.
    The old adage of "getting what you pay for" really does apply.

Default Taxi charges

I have always thought that the taxi charges are very reasonable in these parts. there are a lot of companys all looking for the same buisness, but as a car driver and well aware of the costs of running a car we are not getting a bad deal and they are always available.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

The customer has a choice - if they don't like the standard of "service" offered by a particular taxi firm then they can go elsewhere. But for smarter, cleaner, newer cars expect to pay a higher rate.
    You want cheap taxis, expect to find a clapped out Lada turning up outside your door.
    The old adage of "getting what you pay for" really does apply.
    Excuse me, the customer has a choice but also RIGHTS. They do not have to be expected to go into a taxi which, for one, the driver has been smoking in because it is against the law for one and is also very disgusting for people. Taxis must follow the law just the same as bus, trains, etc do.

Basically, if they want to increase the charges, they can firstly monitor the hygene in taxis and frienliness of drivers and THEN they can THINk about increasing the costs.
    What do you regard as bad hygeine in a taxi? Is it litter/spilages? I'm not saying it shouldn't be cleaned, but surely the initial problem starts with a lack of respect from passengers??

Not having used a wick taxi in years, I can't comment on their friendliness or lack of it, but can honestly say that the majority of taxi drivers I've met in Thurso are friendly.

Sorry, no one has answered my question yet.

Is it acceptable for someone to travel less than half a mile within Wick and be charged £7?

Sorry, no one has answered my question yet.

Is it acceptable for someone to travel less than half a mile within Wick and be charged £7?
    check post number 9 by Madpict for your answer.........
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    What do you regard as bad hygeine in a taxi? Is it litter/spilages? I'm not saying it shouldn't be cleaned, but surely the initial problem starts with a lack of respect from passengers??

Not having used a wick taxi in years, I can't comment on their friendliness or lack of it, but can honestly say that the majority of taxi drivers I've met in Thurso are friendly.
    Smoking....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast