Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits found by SSPCA in Watten

Default Rabbits found by SSPCA in Watten

For anyone unfamiliar with the story of snowflake and blizzard here is the link http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/..._reunited.html
    I have to say a huge well done to everyone involved in the capture of these poor animals who would undoubtably have died without their intervention.
    In my opinion the only thing that saved these two was their coats they are New Zealand Whites which is a fur breed nothing other than a fur breed could have made it.
    Obviously astounding luck played a part as being white they were very obvious prey.
    I went out to visit these two today and they have such trust and spirit despite everything they have been through that I was truly moved.
    They need a good bit of feeding up but I think with luck this pair will be back to fitness soon.
    This brings me to my reason for this post
    A pet rabbit CANNOT survive in the wild, it is not possible, they have lost all their natural instincts.
    I understand that sometimes circumstances change and pets need rehomed or maybe they get ill and a pet owner cannot afford bills but if that is the case I urge people to never ever release them this is the cruelest thing that could be done.
    Contact the SSPCA if you can no longer manage or I am free to be private messaged and I am sure we can either get them to rescue for rehoming or look at ways to cope with the problem.
    I myself am guilty of getting annoyed at the rehoming threads but after seeing this I urge us all to not have any judgement and allow these animals the chance of a good caring home.
    Things are never so bad that animals that Cannot fend for themselves should ever have to try to.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

I saw this they were totally gorgeous going by the photo in the paper and seemingly a brown one was found dead at the loch a few days later
    Just doesnt make sense when they were healthy

Funnily enough a rabbit ran out in front of me as I was coming into Watten one night at the start of last week. I did wonder if it was a domestic rabbit as it was rounder and lighter coloured than normal that made me think it could have esacaped. I looked for it but it had run into a hedge along a field.
    I'm in a position to foster in an emergency, 2 possibly 3 rabbits as I have 2 spare hutches and runs.
    I'd echo what has been said, please don't let them go in the wild.

It is good to see such quick responses from responsible owners. If more people work together hopefully these kind of things can be stamped out as people have the necessary information.

Well said Unicorn and good for you for trying to do something positive to prevent this kind of thing happening.

I wish I could help by fostering a rabbit but afraid ill health doesn't permit me to do this.

I would be more than happy to contribute financially though eg food, bedding etc, if needed.

I was so sad to read this story yesterday as they look beautiful rabbits and I am glad they are now safe and sound.

I too have an empty rabbit hutch and run if it can ever be of use in an emergency.

I cannot believe that someone can be so thoughtless. These poor rabbits are lucky to be alive. Wishing them well for heir future.

i mind when we were little and lived in thrumster, our 2 rabbits and our neighbours rabbit was stolen from their cages, i mind 1 of ours was found in the grounds of wick high, but it had terriable injurys which it died from the otehr 2 were found dead, cant mind exactly where it was, they never found out who took them, it still bothers me to this day folk can be so cruel as to steal childrens pets. these 2 that were found are a georgous pair, hopfully they will get a home soon.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Pets become like family but your not going to go and leave one of your kids dumped somewhere so why do it to an animal specially in this cold weather.
    Im just delighted they now have a home and hope they get over there traumatic experience.

I can't understand why (or how) anybody would leave those lovely bunnies to fend for themselves in that weather.
    Thank heavens they were found by caring humans before they fell foul of some predator.
    Surely if the owner no longer wanted them, they could have found a good home for them.

Definatly would have found a home weve all proved that were not all heartless x

Quote Originally Posted by S&LHEN View Post
    Pets become like family but your not going to go and leave one of your kids dumped somewhere so why do it to an animal specially in this cold weather.
    Im just delighted they now have a home and hope they get over there traumatic experience.
    Rabbits should have same pet status as cats and dogs!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    They do. All pets have the same status and protection of the Law.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

This is a copy of the 5 freedoms which every animal must be kept in adherance to, I took this from the BRC website.

The Five Freedoms

1. Freedom from hunger and Thirst - by providing fresh water and the right amount of food to keep them fit
    2. Freedom from Discomfort - by making sure that rabbits have the right kind of environment including shelter and somewhere comfortable to rest.
    3. Freedom from pain, injury and disease - by preventing them from getting ill and by making sure animals are diagnosed and treated rapidly.
    4. Freedom to behave normally - by making sure rabbits have enough space and proper facilities.
    5. Freedom from fear and stress - by making sure their condition and treatment avoid mental suffering

It was used as an example!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Live and let live

Thumbs up

Totally agree with all this its good practise x

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    This is a copy of the 5 freedoms which every animal must be kept in adherance to, I took this from the BRC website.

The Five Freedoms

1. Freedom from hunger and Thirst - by providing fresh water and the right amount of food to keep them fit
    2. Freedom from Discomfort - by making sure that rabbits have the right kind of environment including shelter and somewhere comfortable to rest.
    3. Freedom from pain, injury and disease - by preventing them from getting ill and by making sure animals are diagnosed and treated rapidly.
    4. Freedom to behave normally - by making sure rabbits have enough space and proper facilities.
    5. Freedom from fear and stress - by making sure their condition and treatment avoid mental suffering
    Live and let live

Has anyone had a thought that perhaps the rabbits escaped, rather than being abandoned?

It's unlikely that if this is the case the owners will be willing to come forward with all the negative press they've been recieving. The rabbits are likely to have been expensive and they're well fed and look well enough.

I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes

I do hope the owner comes forward if this is the case.
    Last edited by unicorn; 21-Feb-10 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceddaisy View Post
    Has anyone had a thought that perhaps the rabbits escaped, rather than being abandoned?

It's unlikely that if this is the case the owners will be willing to come forward with all the negative press they've been recieving. The rabbits are likely to have been expensive and they're well fed and look well enough.

I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes
    Yes, to begin with, I did think they might have escaped.
    But if they had, surely the owners would have contacted the SSPCA and the police in case they were found safe.

I actually have to agree with you. I was just trying to see good in folks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast