Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bower Baikies

Question Bower Baikies

I am researching the following for a friend in Glasgow.
    Any information connecting any of the names would be appreciated in the hope that a direct connection be achieved.

JOHN BAIKIE c 12 Oct 1801 - DUNNET- Father George BAIKIE,
    Mother Marin DUNNET d1880 aged 79 years
    and his wife Married Jun 1828 Bower
    CHRISTIAN or CHIRSTY BAIKIE nee HENDERSON who is believed to be buried in Dunnet. died 1856 aged 48 years

They had 11 of a family all christened in Bower namely :

1. Margret c Aug 1828 2. George c Jan 1830
    3. Mary c Jan 1832
    4. William c Oct 1833
    5. John c May 1837
    6. Barbra c Dec 1839
    7. Peter c May 1842
    8. Christian c July 1844
    9. Elisabeth c Jan 1849
    10. Mary c Jan 1851
    11. Jean c Dec1853
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Default John's sibling

Barbara 1799 in Dunnet and Janet 1805 in Dunnet.

Mamie

Many thanks Maime2 - Can you confirm the same parents ! George Baikie and Marin Dunnet.

There is a grave in Bower Churchyard for a John Baikie, Mason, Bowertower died 23 11 1905 aged 68 his wife Margaret Steven died 15 5 1925 aged 87 and their daughter Williamina d 19 6 1942 aged 66.

Thumbs up

Many thanks Skifter - The date of death of John certainly ties up with the date of his birth.

Default same parents - yes

yes Barbara and Janet's parents are George and Marin Dunnet

Mamie

Thumbs up

Where is or was Janefield ?

I spent some money on the Scotland's people website last night to confirm the parents of John Baikie. He died aged 79 on 1/3/1880, his wife (deceased) is shown as Christina Henderson, so definitely our John Baikie, his occupation was Farmer. He died at Janefield, Olrig District in Caithness; Janefield could be the name of a farm. His parents are noted as George Baikie and Mary Baikie (nee Dunnet). I feel sure that Mary is wrong, the death was reported by John's son William who was born in 1833 when his Dad was 32 and by this time his grandmother would be in her 50's or older. By the time John got interested in his Gran's Christian name another 15 years at least would have gone by and Marin could have been confused with Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by squareman View Post
    Where is or was Janefield ?

I spent some money on the Scotland's people website last night to confirm the parents of John Baikie. He died aged 79 on 1/3/1880, his wife (deceased) is shown as Christina Henderson, so definitely our John Baikie, his occupation was Farmer. He died at Janefield, Olrig District in Caithness; Janefield could be the name of a farm. His parents are noted as George Baikie and Mary Baikie (nee Dunnet). I feel sure that Mary is wrong, the death was reported by John's son William who was born in 1833 when his Dad was 32 and by this time his grandmother would be in her 50's or older. By the time John got interested in his Gran's Christian name another 15 years at least would have gone by and Marin could have been confused with Mary.
    I have recently transcribed the 1881 Olrig census for FREECEN and I did not come across the name Janefield. I think that it would be Tansfield which is just on the outskirts of Castletown. In the 1881 census there were 7 families living at Tansfield the majority of the men employed at the stone works.

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie_2 View Post
    Barbara 1799 in Dunnet and Janet 1805 in Dunnet.

Mamie
    I have another sibling Elizabeth October 1803 born Dunnet - parents George Baikie and Marin Dunnet.

Rosemary

Thumbs up

Thanks very much Rosemary - It is all very much appreciated. Accurate results and information obtained are very important.

Default Mary or Marin

In terms of your question about the son saying Mary not Marin or Marion it seems that the names were sometimes confused. A Marion in my family (sometimes called Mary) had several grandchildren named after her. Generally, they were called Mary Ann not Marin or Marion. Perhaps it was just the move away from the traditional Gaelic roots.

Have sent you a PM.

Hi,

I just joined this forum looking for info on my ancestors and here it is! I already found the information here and was wondering if anyone knoew anything about the next generation back? I was wondering if it was possible they came accross from Orkney and this is why I am finding it so hard to trace them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meat to say that their son John born 1837 isthe line I am descended from

Thanks in advance

Moira
    Last edited by Moira Parker nee Baikie; 05-Oct-11 at 20:16.