Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: hibinating hamster

Default hibinating hamster

excuse the spelling lol was just wondering does anyone on here have any experence with a hamster hibinating , i came home from work last nite and went into my sons room which i must say was cold anyway looked at the hamster and she was laying on top of her bed which is unusual for her and she was cold to the touch,feared the worse but when i picked her up she was breathing after about 10 mins she started to come round, anyway today is is much perkier but still not rite , just wondering if anyone knows how long it should be before she is completely back she had drunk a little with encouragement and eating a little, vets said just keep her warm and she will come round in time . Maybe just be me but thought she would be back to normal by now ,have read up and everything points to hibination rite down to the shaking x

my word didnt realise hamsters hibernated, you learn something new everyday, none of my hamster eer have.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

hi hun apparently they do sometimes poeple think they are dead , she is a lot perkier this afternoon has eaten a little so hopefully she is going to be ok xxx

Just keep her cosy!
    It must be too cold in the room she is in at night.

If the room is to cold or the cage is in a draught Hamsters can go into hibernation. You have to be careful to not let them get cold. I had a Hamster that went into a hibernation to deep and it died. It was the vet that told me what had happened.

she is awake now and is getting back to normal has been nearly 24 hours since i found her , the thing is i was away all weekend left her in living room which is not too bad but i thought being as we were home and my son was in his room and normally has his heater on she would be ok , but it must have been too cold all i can do now is hope she carries on improving vet told me to keep waking her up every hour but she is getting a bit grumpy with me now lol