Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Extended warranty? EEC legislation means it is ALWAYS two years anyway

Default Extended warranty? EEC legislation means it is ALWAYS two years anyway

The EEC passed a directive in 1999 which requires all goods to come with a two year warranty. I first heard this on Radio 4 where an MEP was discussing it. She was shopping for kettles and toasters for a new flat and was constantly offered extended warranties - no thanks she said it is covered for two years. No they would say just 12 months ... "I should know" she said, "I passed the legislation!"

You can find a plain english discussion of the directive at

http://www.buyusa.gov/europeanunion/ccg_chptr3.html (approx 2/3 0f the way dow the page

"Legal Warranties and After-sales Service

Under the 1999 Directive on the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees, professional sellers are required to provide a minimum two-year warranty on all consumer goods sold to consumers (natural persons acting for purposes outside their trade, businesses or professions), as defined by the Directive. The remedies available to consumers in case of non-compliance are:
    - repair of the good(s);
    - replacement of the good(s);
    - a price reduction; or
    - rescission of the sales contract.
    Key link: http://europa.eu.int/comm/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/guarantees/index_en.htm"

How interesting.... thanks for that Allsorts!

Never purchase these warranties anyway. In my 35 years of being a householder, I have not had much bother with electrical appliances etc., saving me a lot of money.

If you took all these insurances offered, the monthly bill for them all would be horrendous!