Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Quest

1. Default Galaxy Quest

Hope to add a few more to this thread now that its "galaxy hunting season"

M51,The Whirpool Galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici.
    approx 37 million l.years away
    100,000 l.years in diameter.

Fantastic image MPH. Did you get this last night while freezing out in the garden? It looked like a great star sky out here (appart from the cold!!)
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

3. Default

Yes Deemac,i had a few hours out in the cold but at least there was no wind,still freezing though,just as well i was working today or i probably would have stayed out all night or until i ran out of batteries.

Oh worth braving the cold MPH - lookin forward to more!

Amazing shot MPH...

You know your stuff.

6. Default

NGC4565 in Coma Berenices.
    approx 50million l.years away and one of the best examples of
    an edge on spiral galaxy.

Wow amazing!

Nuff said.

OK MPH you told us about blue, yellow and red - what about green? These are green aren't they? Lovely colour btw!

I really should brush up on what I am seeing in the night sky,my knowledge is woeful
    Great images MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    OK MPH you told us about blue, yellow and red - what about green? These are green aren't they? Lovely colour btw!

They certainly look green to me!

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    They certainly look green to me!

nirofo.
    Emm, I do hope that was not sarcasm nirofo. I asked the queston incase it was some sort of optical illusion I was seeing - but yeah it did sound thick!

MPH,
    A stunning couple of photo's, I am also very impressed with your dedication, a couple of hours on a cold frosty night! I thought I was keen, but I'm obviously not that keen!

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Emm, I do hope that was not sarcasm nirofo. I asked the queston incase it was some sort of optical illusion I was seeing - but yeah it did sound thick!
    Sorry, it was meant to endorse your colour perception as some monitors do not display correct colour if not set up correctly! I set mine up every 2 weeks using a DataCentre Colorvision Spyder Colorimeter, this gives you a calibrated universally accepted colour correct monitor screen.

nirofo.

Wow nirofo - impressed. Sorry I doubted you!

16. Default

You dont get green stars Wifie.The official star spectrums and temperatures are

Blue 45 000 degC
    Blue/White 30 000
    White 12 000
    Yellow/White 8 000
    Yellow 6 500
    Orange 5 000
    Red 3 000

The one problem i have is using a light pollution filter which can give false colours especially when trying to enhance the contrast of extremely faint objects.
    The Whirpool Galaxy image looks ok but NGC 4565 is falsly blue/green in the center and there is also a greenish gradient to the right of the image caused by the fact i had to shoot right over the top of a street light to get it so some of the stars are showing a false green colour.The filters are good but some lp gets through when you are shooting almost straight into sodium lightsAlso when near the horizon stars change colour more than higher stars due to the earths atmosphere and the pollution in it so its easy to pick up false colour....sorry cant do much about it

If i take an image of it in 2 months time when it will be much higher in the sky the colour will be different and also will be able to image at twice the magnification with a barlow lens
    which will make it brighter as well.
    I could aways shoot them in B&W to avoid any confusion,wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
    Personally i like colour and if its the wrong colour,well who actuall knows what colour it should be?

Look up the whirlpool galaxy in google images and see the different colours different imagers get,these are seriously long exposures done by computer guiding and the colour variations are quite surprising,which one is the true colour though?
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 26-Jan-09 at 19:11.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I really should brush up on what I am seeing in the night sky,my knowledge is woeful
    Great images MPH.
    Good on ya Lizz,wont be able to see these though,in fact i couldn't see the two galaxies i've posted in this thread through the scope either!

Thank you MPH - I will google and see! I always enjoy your explanations and information!

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by North Light View Post
    MPH,
    A stunning couple of photo's, I am also very impressed with your dedication, a couple of hours on a cold frosty night! I thought I was keen, but I'm obviously not that keen!
    Is it dedication or stupitidy,it was stupidity tonight as i spent the last hour hunting for a certain galaxy and failed to find it.Took about 20 shots in the area i thought it was in
    but no galaxy to be seen.Will go back out after 24 has finished.

20. Default The Leo Triplett

Galaxies are clockwise from the left,NGC 3628,M65 &M66.

Biggerised version @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/norther...53049/sizes/l/
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 21-Mar-09 at 23:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast