Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: flea problem with german shepherd

Default flea problem with german shepherd

Hi I have a 10 month old german shepherd bitch and she keeps getting fleas, I have tried the spot on medicine,the flea collar and tablets also cleaned the whole house and sprayed flea repelant. But after a few weeks they have come back.

I have been giving her goats milk for her skin as it is dry and itchy between the fleas I need some advice thanks

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your girl.

Have you tried spraying your house with something like Indorex ? I think the Vets, or Pets at home sell it or a similar product.

You mention that you have used spot on treatments, did you use Frontline ? IMO this is the best one.

In the summer months, I give each of my GSDs one small freshly crushed clove of Garlic in their food, this also helps with the dreaded ticks, LOL.

Goats milk is always good to add.

My girl has a bad skin condition & I have started feeding her one teaspoon of coconut oil twice a day in her food. If you google coconut oil for dogs you will soon read about the wonders of it, I was really suprised.

Anyways, keep us posted on how your girl gets on.

Take care.

yes we always find frontline effective and you can now get it in pets at home. Did you get your house spray from the vets as i think a lot of the over the counter stuff is not as effective?

Regarding her skin - is it possible she might be food sensitive or is it the fleas that are making her so itchy? I have no german shepard experience but my bull terrier gets all red and itchy if he doesnt have natural diet

Whatever I hope you get the poor wee soul sorted soon

Default wet eczema

would coconut oil work for my shepherd as she suffers from wet eczema patches on her thighs we can control it by clipping the hair but am open to suggestions rather than her keep having antibiotics all the time(she is a short coat)

Quote Originally Posted by LORRAINE View Post
    would coconut oil work for my shepherd as she suffers from wet eczema patches on her thighs we can control it by clipping the hair but am open to suggestions rather than her keep having antibiotics all the time(she is a short coat)

All I can say Lorraine with regards to coconut oil that it may be worth a try. A friend of mine whos dog suffered with itchy skin & she feed him for a few weeks on coconut oil ( 1 teaspoon twice a day in their food ) & her dogs skin condition has cleared up.

Here's a link for you http://nutiva.com/articles/healthy-d...e-coconut-oil/.

Quote Originally Posted by busman View Post
    Hi I have a 10 month old german shepherd bitch and she keeps getting fleas, I have tried the spot on medicine,the flea collar and tablets also cleaned the whole house and sprayed flea repelant. But after a few weeks they have come back.

I have been giving her goats milk for her skin as it is dry and itchy between the fleas I need some advice thanks
    The only decent Flea killer as far as I'm concerned is 'Frontline', all others pale in comparison.
    It can be expensive but you can get some real good deals online.

I have German Shepherds and use 'Frontline' only. All I would say is weigh your dog and make sure you are using the correct amount.
    You also need to make sure you use it regular. In fact if you have an ongoing flea problem I would probably top up before the due date.
    Also, remember not to bath the dog 24/48 hours before or after an application and I'd also try a carpet spray just to kill off any nasties that are lurking there.
    Iff you are vigilant with the Frontline then you should be flea free relatively quickly, just remember though that there could still be those snipers in the carpet.

GSD's are prone to flea allergies unfortunately. One bite can cause an itching and then a whole reaction occurs. It ends up unsightly and really uncomfortable for the dog.
    Our GSD's have suffered with it in the past but Frontline has completely eradicated it.

p.s. Don't forget to treat cats with the same if you have any and don't forget to worm also.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

My GSD responds very well to Frontline for fleas and ticks but she did suffer from a red belly. After a bit of trial and error, I realised that she was suffering from a food allergy and have found that Wainwrights in the trays works (I also add a little primrose oil too) and have found that the combination has worked.