Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeast infections in Dogs ?

Question Yeast infections in Dogs ?

Does anyone know of anything to clear my girls Yeast infection up ?

I am currently feeding her coconut oil ( 1 teaspoon twice a day ), but we are still struggerling.

The smell from her is terrible, & she is constantly licking all around her undercarriage & her chin.

I just wondered if anyone has been through this type of issue before with their dogs or Cats ?

Sounds as if there could be a bacterial infection also lurking if she is a bit smelly. You could try giving her garlic granules in her food, but she might need checked for infection. Another tip is to wash the areas with 2 parts cider apple vinegar to one part water. Wash the areas twice/ three times daily and yeast infection should clear up. Usually yeast infections are caused by diet....if there is rice in her food it would be a good idead to try her on something without rice included.
    Last edited by teenybash; 10-Feb-10 at 17:48.

Avoid carbohydrates in the diet and raw, fresh meat and bones helps prevent this. But perhaps you don't want to feed this type of food. So use a potato and grain free diet, with no vegetables.

As dogs are not designed to eat vegetables and grains they do not make amylase in their saliva. This is what breaks down starch and carbohydrates.

It is best to treat this from the inside, as I'm sure the cider treatment will also work, the dog may lick this off before it can become efficient.

The vets can also give antibiotics to clear this up, but you sound as if you would prefer to take the natural road on this.

Hope the dog is healthy again soon

Poor thing, try 'Malaseb Shampoo' for dogs and cats, it's antibacterial and antifungal, also yeast can live easily in a dogs ears, 'Otomax' Ear drops Suspension will help external otitis of bacterial and fungal origin, due to bacteria. You can buy this from the Vets and obviously all the information is given on the labels regarding it's proper usage. If it's a yeast infection, it's distressing for the poor dog, especially if she keeps scratching constantly. Hope your dog improves.
    Last edited by Stavro; 11-Feb-10 at 18:21.

Are you sure it is just a yeast infection? Is she a very young dog?
    Sometimes in older females, especially if intact (rarely even after spaying, if a uterine remenant was left behind), can develope piometra (pus producing infection of the uterus). This can be very dangerous if closed, but if the cervix is open, the pus can void and would be smelly. If your dog is young, maybe not even having had her first heat, then it is probably just a vaginitis. Maybe a visit to the vet is called for. Hope she gets better soon.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    Sounds as if there could be a bacterial infection also lurking if she is a bit smelly. You could try giving her garlic granules in her food, but she might need checked for infection. Another tip is to wash the areas with 2 parts cider apple vinegar to one part water. Wash the areas twice/ three times daily and yeast infection should clear up. Usually yeast infections are caused by diet....if there is rice in her food it would be a good idead to try her on something without rice included.

Yes, I have tried the cider apple vinegar to no avail, it brought her out in red patches, & I had to wash it all off her. I know it usually works well on my other dogs, but not on this wee girlie her skin is so sensative its untrue.

I feed her Orijen fish which has no carbs in at all.

I have started feeding her coconut oil twice a day, someone has recommended this to me, so we will see what happens.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Poor thing, try 'Malaseb Shampoo' for dogs and cats, it's antibacterial and antifungal, also yeast can live easily in a dogs ears, 'Otomax' Ear drops Suspension will help external otitis of bacterial and fungal origin, due to bacteria. You can buy this from the Vets and obviously all the information is given on the labels regarding it's proper usage. If it's a yeast infection, it's distressing for the poor dog, especially if she keeps scratching constantly. Hope your dog improves.

Malaseb shampoo, yes I bath her in twice a week & it does ease the scratching & smell for her. I leave it on her for 10 mins then rinse off throughly.

I also have Otomax ear drops in the cupboard, which I do use from time to time when her ears are bad.

Thanks for the reply Stavro. I feel like everyone is trying to help me & I'm like " I have tried that, done that ect...."

I'm sure my girl will get there, & have some relief from all this constant scratting & licking.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    Are you sure it is just a yeast infection? Is she a very young dog?
    Sometimes in older females, especially if intact (rarely even after spaying, if a uterine remenant was left behind), can develope piometra (pus producing infection of the uterus). This can be very dangerous if closed, but if the cervix is open, the pus can void and would be smelly. If your dog is young, maybe not even having had her first heat, then it is probably just a vaginitis. Maybe a visit to the vet is called for. Hope she gets better soon.

I'm not 100% that it is a yeast infection TBH. My girl (Heidi) has regular check ups with the Vets & has been on steroids for many years now but she is still suffering with all this itching. So the last visit to Vet, it was suggested that she has yeast infection all on her chest & undercarriage as thats what the smell was like.

Heidi is now 4 yr old & was spayed at 6 months old.

Thanks for the info anyways Ju.

Quote Originally Posted by Rictina View Post
    Yes, I have tried the cider apple vinegar to no avail, it brought her out in red patches, & I had to wash it all off her.
    I think they mean orally not rubbing it in. Add a teaspoon to her feed and gradually increase to a tablespoon as she gets used to it.

I would really advise taking her to the vet. Nothing is a substitute for good veterinary advice. If you want to keep her drug free (though this may not be possible if this is left too long) they can advise on supplements/alternatives too

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    I think they mean orally not rubbing it in. Add a teaspoon to her feed and gradually increase to a tablespoon as she gets used to it.

I would really advise taking her to the vet. Nothing is a substitute for good veterinary advice. If you want to keep her drug free (though this may not be possible if this is left too long) they can advise on supplements/alternatives too

Oh ok, I never thought about putting it in her food, I will try that thanks.

I took Heidi to the Vet a couple of weeks back as she needs regular check ups & blood test with her being on steroids. The Vet suggested bathing her in a fungal shampoo & using fuciderm into her bad patches.

I have since discovered that long term use of steroids & antibiotics can lead to Yeast infections. And the smell from her is horrible & strong, which is another indication of yeast infection.

Fingers & paws crossed that all this will work for my poor wee girlie.

Poor you! It is awful when you don't exactly know what the problem is.

As she has been on antibiotics for so long have you tried giving her probiotics or live yogurt? Mind you, you probably have as you seemed to have tried everything!

I know I bang on about Colloidal Silver but I swear by it!
    My wee cat Suzy has a mystery skin condition and the CS really heals up the areas where she has scratched herself raw.

As I told you I use homepathic remedies for my pets and she is now on a remedy which the homeopath I deal with has made up for so hoping that this will help.

I really hope you manage to find something to help your girl.

Thanks for the reply Stavro. I feel like everyone is trying to help me & I'm like " I have tried that, done that ect...."

I'm sure my girl will get there, & have some relief from all this constant scratting & licking.
    You are most welcome, my parents have seven westies and a collie and the mother of our Westies has Malassezia. She has had almost every alternative remedy possible, but about a couple of months ago I ordered flaxseed oil for her. She has been getting about a teaspoonful in her feeds, alternating between daily and every other day. This is rich in Omega-3, essential fatty acids. The best is cold pressed, as the oil is pressed without heat or chemicals. You can buy this from Holland & Barrett or perhaps you could try a local supplier. Brian Lamb, New Health Horizons, Thurso, stocks flaxseed oil. Whatever you decide make sure that it is cold pressed, to aid the efficacy and help counteract the yeast, problem.
    Below a link about Malassezia Dermatitis, but please keep in mind that the dogs shown have an acute form of this dreadful condition, but at least it gives you an idea of how debilitating this can be for the poor animals concerned. Also supplied an interesting link about Flaxseed oil for Dogs & Cats. Hope this information will prove useful for you.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/flax-...-for-dogs.html

http://www.westiemed.org/health/malassezia/
    Last edited by Stavro; 12-Feb-10 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Poor you! It is awful when you don't exactly know what the problem is.

As she has been on antibiotics for so long have you tried giving her probiotics or live yogurt? Mind you, you probably have as you seemed to have tried everything!

I know I bang on about Colloidal Silver but I swear by it!
    My wee cat Suzy has a mystery skin condition and the CS really heals up the areas where she has scratched herself raw.

As I told you I use homepathic remedies for my pets and she is now on a remedy which the homeopath I deal with has made up for so hoping that this will help.

I really hope you manage to find something to help your girl.

Thanks Liz.

I have never heard of Colloidal Silver Liz. I will have a google about it, lol.

Glad to hear you got your wee girlie sorted out.

Its so heart breaking to see them suffer isnt it ?

Xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    You are most welcome, my parents have seven westies and a collie and the mother of our Westies has Malassezia. She has had almost every alternative remedy possible, but about a couple of months ago I ordered flaxseed oil for her. She has been getting about a teaspoonful in her feeds, alternating between daily and every other day. This is rich in Omega-3, essential fatty acids. The best is cold pressed, as the oil is pressed without heat or chemicals. You can buy this from Holland & Barrett or perhaps you could try a local supplier. Brian Lamb, New Health Horizons, Thurso, stocks flaxseed oil. Whatever you decide make sure that it is cold pressed, to aid the efficacy and help counteract the yeast, problem.
    Below a link about Malassezia Dermatitis, but please keep in mind that the dogs shown have an acute form of this dreadful condition, but at least it gives you an idea of how debilitating this can be for the poor animals concerned. Also supplied an interesting link about Flaxseed oil for Dogs & Cats. Hope this information will prove useful for you.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/flax-...-for-dogs.html

http://www.westiemed.org/health/malassezia/

Oh thanks very much Stavro for the info & links.

Thanks Liz.

I have never heard of Colloidal Silver Liz. I will have a google about it, lol.

Glad to hear you got your wee girlie sorted out.

Its so heart breaking to see them suffer isnt it ?

Xxx
    You are very welcome and I really hope you find something to help. Skin problems are a real problem as it is so hard to find out the cause.
    Yes it so awful to see them suffer and you feel quite helpless don't you even though you are trying your best.

The best place I have found for Colloidal Silver is www.ripley-wrinkles.co.uk It is really good quality at a reasonable price.
    I take the biggest size as would never be without it for both people and pets.
    The lady who sells it is very nice and may be able to give you advice.

Good luck! x

You are very welcome and I really hope you find something to help. Skin problems are a real problem as it is so hard to find out the cause.
    Yes it so awful to see them suffer and you feel quite helpless don't you even though you are trying your best.

The best place I have found for Colloidal Silver is www.ripley-wrinkles.co.uk It is really good quality at a reasonable price.
    I take the biggest size as would never be without it for both people and pets.
    The lady who sells it is very nice and may be able to give you advice.

Good luck! x

Thanks for the link Liz, I'm deffinatley going to order some.

Sorry Rictina I gave you the incorrect website address

It's www.ripley-wrinkles.com xx

Sorry Rictina I gave you the incorrect website address

It's www.ripley-wrinkles.com xx

Thanks Liz Xxx

If it is definitelty a yeast infection then you will find a link on this website for a website called www.nzymes.com and they sell a yeast kit. xx

If it is definitelty a yeast infection then you will find a link on this website for a website called www.nzymes.com and they sell a yeast kit. xx

Thanks Liz, I must have missed that one, LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast