Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: local musicians to help hati

I don't think anyone is being cynical. I think maybe the previous threads about buying their CD's and the OP pretending to not be in the band have made people a bit wary.
    It is a grand idea, the people of Haiti need help.

I never once said it was a bad idea, just maybe they had promoted it wrong.

Good luck with the venture.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

I read this thread, then I lol'd.

If you're in a band to make money, you should give up. People don't buy music these days, not for £10 a cd anyway... or whatever it was, no matter how much good it is.

Fair enough Jeid, but don't burst the bubble of those youngsters who still believe in it all.
    After all, believing we can 'make it' is what keeps the music industry alive. (And Simon Cowell in a job unfortunately).

I remember being 17, when we were just one step away from that big record contract...

They'll get cynical about it soon enough
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Default Why cant we all just get along

Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.[/quote]

Oh dear back to the same old cack again
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

£10 for a CD, locally produced, is too much, and I wouldnt pay that, no matter how good the cause...and I'm one of those lovely folk that 1) Supports Charities and 2) Still buys CDs!

Also if they couldnt spell 'Haiti' I'd be inclined to think their album would be nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.
    Oh dear back to the same old cack again[/quote]
    What's up with you? Is no-one allowed to mention himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    What did Mephis Jursidiction do to deserve this grief? Johnny Fatts gave nowt to the Haiti fund and everyone thinks he's a saint.
    Who exactly is conferring sainthood?

He is well liked; where is the problem?

Envy, I would say reading between...

What do you know about whether he personally has contributed to any particular charity? You know his accountant?

I agree about this new band getting grief; it seems to me they are just trying to do something to help. It is a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Who exactly is conferring sainthood? He is well liked; where is the problem? Envy, I would say reading between...
    What do you know about whether he personally has contributed to any particular charity? You know his accountant?
    Chap came on and stated that MJ should give 100% of their cash, all or nothing. I was using Mr F as an example, as his final Comm gig was the last one referred to on this site. According to Fingal McCool, Fatts should donate all his fee to the Haiti fund, which he maybe did, I wouldn't know.
    However the point that in some eyes the gent can do no wrong is well illustrated - mention him in any negative sense, deserved or not, personal opinion or not, people get the hump.
    And envy of what precisely?
    I agree about this new band getting grief; it seems to me they are just trying to do something to help. It is a nice idea.
    I agree. They're young and daft, we were all there once.

Surely giving something to a charity is better than giving nothing. Isnt it?

Chap came on and stated that MJ should give 100% of their cash, all or nothing. I was using Mr F as an example, as his final Comm gig was the last one referred to on this site. According to Fingal McCool, Fatts should donate all his fee to the Haiti fund, which he maybe did, I wouldn't know.
    What logic is there in that? No one asked the OP to come on here talking about giving to Haiti.

Fatts was certainly not marketing his Comm gig as a charity event, so why should it be brought into it?

It was your remark about being a saint that detracts from whatever point you were trying to make.

Envious of someone with talent?

What logic is there in that? No one asked the OP to come on here talking about giving to Haiti.
    Fatts was certainly not marketing his Comm gig as a charity event, so why should it be brought into it?
    It was your remark about being a saint that detracts from whatever point you were trying to make. Envious of someone with talent?
    Why shouldn't he be brought into it? Why, when we're discussing local music and those who are just starting out, are we not permitted to make reference to the master, the touchstone of local talent, the 'old guard'?
    Yes, envious of Fatts, that's it.

However the point that in some eyes the gent can do no wrong is well illustrated - mention him in any negative sense, deserved or not, personal opinion or not, people get the hump.
    And envy of what precisely?

I agree. They're young and daft, we were all there once.
    I assume you're referring to me.

I don't like the J. Fatts (sp?) band and certainly don't consider him
    the master, the touchstone of local talent, the 'old guard'
    so what you've said is nonsense.

I've no idea why you've brought him into this thread but jealousy is a good enough assumption for now.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Blast!; 12-Feb-10 at 20:12.

Why shouldn't he be brought into it?
    As I pointed out, his gig was not marketed as a charity event.

Say what you want about the man, he has more integrity than you are displaying in your refusal to note that, and in the way you are trying to bring your dislike of the man into a thread it has nothing to do with.

As I pointed out, his gig was not marketed as a charity event.

Say what you want about the man, he has more integrity than you are displaying in your refusal to note that, and in the way you are trying to bring your dislike of the man into a thread it has nothing to do with.
    Who said I disliked the man?? I genuinely appreciate his talent, but I'm puzzled by the way that that merely mentioning him seems to result in an instant hate. Just like you're showing.
    Has he done something other than merely playing guitar that I'm not aware of?
    And please leave the integrity bit out of it.

And please leave the integrity bit out of it.
    Please leave the hate bit out of it. This is a message board. I don't feel hate for anyone in the real world let alone a message board!

OK let's leave it at that then.
    By the way, sorry Blast, I mixed you up with someone else. Fingal McCool was the guy that stitched up The Jacks at Hogmanay.
    I get confused sometimes.

Default All this scratching making me itch

OK let's leave it at that then.
    By the way, sorry Blast, I mixed you up with someone else. Fingal McCool was the guy that stitched up The Jacks at Hogmanay.
    I get confused sometimes.

Could that be a typo? did you mean snitched on

The moderator might have to shut this thread down before it gets....enjoyable.

Default Have we lost the plot, let's try and be nice, but cutting.

Lets keep this thread going, The original question although naive was meant in good faith and some of the replies have been informative but some have been negative and personal, MJ will soon realise that to sell themselves and make a profit in and around Caithness will be very difficult indeed, however if they don't put their rep on the line then they will never know, to recoup their dosh for the recording might be a bridge too far but go for it. In my own humble opinion, the recording didn't sound that good, but I'm no expert, and I listened to bits on line which is never a true reflection. I'm sure some caithness musical geniuses will inform me that the recording was topnotch and i haven't a scooby so i will be standing by for broadsides

Good post F McC. Sorry about they typo earlier...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast