Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: castletown shop

Default castletown shop

I went into the shop in castletown for a lettuce and a small bottle of lucozade the lettuce was £1.39 & the lucozade £1.09, i know that smaller shops tend to charge a bit more but that is ridiculous.
    you can buy a letttuce for 89p and a bottle of lucozade for 95p in the town so how can they justify the prices that they charge
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

Yeah i quite believe it, it is really expensive that shop!

Btw their capaldi's ice cream is V Good but its 89p for a small small tub!

The thing is, they have no competition. They can charge whatever they like because they know people have no choice. Some-one should open the other shop along the road..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

is that the shop owned by john murray

Just bought a lettuce for 39p and the Lucozade was 69p anyone beat that

Quote Originally Posted by ullevi
    Just bought a lettuce for 39p and the Lucozade was 69p anyone beat that
    Was that from the Castletown shop?

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr
    is that the shop owned by john murray
    yes it's John Murray that owns it!

Quote Originally Posted by sam
    I went into the shop in castletown for a lettuce and a small bottle of lucozade the lettuce was £1.39 & the lucozade £1.09, i know that smaller shops tend to charge a bit more but that is ridiculous.
    you can buy a letttuce for 89p and a bottle of lucozade for 95p in the town so how can they justify the prices that they charge

14p extra on the Lucozade - you're kidding, right?

What do you expect with the differences in economic scale compared to the supermarkets?

Tell you what............. Stop shopping in the local shop, then when it closes - see how you get on.

Be sure to let us all know.
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Quote Originally Posted by mareng
    14p extra on the Lucozade - you're kidding, right?

What do you expect with the differences in economic scale compared to the supermarkets?

Tell you what............. Stop shopping in the local shop, then when it closes - see how you get on.

Be sure to let us all know.
    i certainly dont expect to be ripped off, there is no excuse for prices like that, i dont care what anyone says i know they have overheads and all the rest of it but there are other small shops dont charge to that extreme.
    as for shopping locally i certainly didnt pay the prices they were asking am not that stupid

Sorry but i think you might have seen the price for the bigger bottle of lucozade there is not much difference in size but there is a 380ml bottle and a 500ml bottle cos i get the 380ml one when i go in there and it is not that dear as for the lettuce i leave that for the healthy people lol

You're just jealous because the
    voices are talking to me and not you!

Quote Originally Posted by William
    Sorry but i think you might have seen the price for the bigger bottle of lucozade there is not much difference in size but there is a 380ml bottle and a 500ml bottle cos i get the 380ml one when i go in there and it is not that dear as for the lettuce i leave that for the healthy people lol
    I think if anyone stops and thinks about the problems of selling perishable goods in a small shop they will realise why they are so expensive.

If you have to buy a box of lettuce from the wholesaler but only sell half a box and throw the other half away you lose money. You have the choice of not stocking lettuce and letting people drive to Wick or Thurso if the sun shines and they fancy a salad or charging more to pay for the waste.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    The thing is, they have no competition. They can charge whatever they like because they know people have no choice. Some-one should open the other shop along the road..
    That would be the shop that was making so much money ripping off the locals that it closed down would it?

A small shop can't sell things as cheaply as a supermarket I would have thought that was obvious. It doesn't mean the small shop keeper is ripping people off it just means he has to pay more when he buys and has higher overheads per customer.

When I see a small shopkeeper driving round in a Rolls Royce like the Directors of supermarket companies do then I'll believe they are ripping people off but all I'm seeing at the moment is small shops closing down because they can't make a living.

On the Tesco board, it was the commercial and trading director, John Gildersleeve, rather than the chief executive, Sir Terry Leahy, who was the highest-paid director in the 2004-05 financial year. Mr Gildersleeve's pay topped £6m after his retirement from the board after 20 years prompted him to cash in all his long-term performance plans and share option schemes. Sir Terry's total was just over £4m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/executivep...542124,00.html

i certainly dont expect to be ripped off, there is no excuse for prices like that, i dont care what anyone says i know they have overheads and all the rest of it but there are other small shops dont charge to that extreme.
    as for shopping locally i certainly didnt pay the prices they were asking am not that stupid
    I can't really work out whether posts like this annoy me because of the greed and/or ignorance displayed, or the whole "local shop/supermarket giant" arguement that has appeared countless times in recent weeks in the Org.

Just because a small shop charges excessively doesn't mean anyone is being "ripped off". Try asking anyone who runs such a shop...they'll tell you how difficult it is to make ends meet these days when faced with other stores that can buy more bottles of Lucozade in a day than the wee shop will sell in a year. And you think they can price competitively?

If you've never run a shop, or owned one, it may be hard to grasp the economics of it all. But open your eyes...take a look around Wick and Thurso...count how many local shops have closed in this last year alone or are about to close.

Like Fred says, wait 'till local shopkeepers are driving Rollers before you announce your lack of stupidity.
    You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty McFly
    I can't really work out whether posts like this annoy me because of the greed and/or ignorance displayed, or the whole "local shop/supermarket giant" arguement that has appeared countless times in recent weeks in the Org.

Just because a small shop charges excessively doesn't mean anyone is being "ripped off". Try asking anyone who runs such a shop...they'll tell you how difficult it is to make ends meet these days when faced with other stores that can buy more bottles of Lucozade in a day than the wee shop will sell in a year. And you think they can price competitively?

If you've never run a shop, or owned one, it may be hard to grasp the economics of it all. But open your eyes...take a look around Wick and Thurso...count how many local shops have closed in this last year alone or are about to close.

Like Fred says, wait 'till local shopkeepers are driving Rollers before you announce your lack of stupidity.
    #
    As for my lack of stupidity? what the heck is that all about lol!!
    please do explain what you mean by lack of stupidity, or is it that i am just not as stupid as you.
    I do realise that small shops have to charge a bit more for their goods , but when i went to town and bought the lucozade and lettuce there, it was cheaper and from another small shop. You just like a few others just assumed that i had bought it from a supermarket, so maybe next time you will get your facts right before blowing your mouth off lol
    Last edited by sam; 09-May-06 at 21:55.

Quote Originally Posted by William
    i know it was the bigger of the two small bottle's lol but still 14p of a difference is bang out of order when another small shop in town can sell it at the cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    I think if anyone stops and thinks about the problems of selling perishable goods in a small shop they will realise why they are so expensive.

If you have to buy a box of lettuce from the wholesaler but only sell half a box and throw the other half away you lose money. You have the choice of not stocking lettuce and letting people drive to Wick or Thurso if the sun shines and they fancy a salad or charging more to pay for the waste.
    its no wonder they would only sell half a box at that price, and they had the cheek to tell me the price was so high cos the lettuce's are out of season. i dont think so lol

I knew a butcher had to make all but the middle bit of his sausages out of bread because he had difficulty making ends meet.

Quote Originally Posted by fred

I'm not surprised they're throwing half the lettuces away, at £1.39 each I'm surprised they manage to sell any at all.

I thought the small shops bought from wholesalers, are they being ripped off by these companies, I doubt it?
    Also, are you saying they can't buy their goods at a decent price and still still make a healtyhy profit when they sell them to the public?
    I reckon they could survive well enough without ripping the eyes out of people.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    I'm not surprised they're throwing half the lettuces away, at £1.39 each I'm surprised they manage to sell any at all.
    They wouldn't sell a lot of lettuce anyway, theres no way they can sell them cheaper than the supermarkets and it's not the sort of thing you run out of and have to run out and buy like coffee, sugar or whisky. Not the sort of thing someone suddenly gets a craving for like ice cream, not essential like bread or milk, not the sort of thing you find you need for a recipe, more the sort of thing you can manage without.

I think that the shop owner should be commended for doing the community a service by stocking them at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast