Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A couple from the snowy archives.

1. Default A couple from the snowy archives.

Both taken at Harpsdale.

Default A couple from the snowy archives.

Both really stunning .......

I love your work you know I do so why do I see the first one as out of focus, you done anything else too it?.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    I love your work you know I do so why do I see the first one as out of focus, you done anything else too it?.
    Its soft focus,well its actually called the Orton effect,after its originator,Micheal Orton.where you take an in focus shot and combine it with a soft focus shot and merge the two together to give a softer look,also gives it a bit of a glow.
    The second one also has it done but to a lesser degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Its soft focus,well its actually called the Orton effect,after its originator,Micheal Orton.where you take an in focus shot and combine it with a soft focus shot and merge the two together to give a softer look,also gives it a bit of a glow.
    Now I know thats what I dont like.

makes me think my eyes are going funny.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Can't say I'm a great lover of the effect, I prefer a good well lit landscape, (which these appear to be) to be nice and sharp and to look like a landscape, as I do with the majority of my images if possible! I try very hard to obtain pictures that are as sharp as possible, after all that's why we pay so much money for good quality lenses. If I find an unsharp image among my attempts, my first reaction is to bin it, however, everyone to their own tastes, I prefer to leave the arty effects to the painters.

nirofo.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Your Harpsdale photos are lovely, and certainly something to harp about, MPH!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    Can't say I'm a great lover of the effect, I prefer a good well lit landscape, (which these appear to be) to be nice and sharp and to look like a landscape, as I do with the majority of my images if possible! I try very hard to obtain pictures that are as sharp as possible, after all that's why we pay so much money for good quality lenses. If I find an unsharp image among my attempts, my first reaction is to bin it, however, everyone to their own tastes, I prefer to leave the arty effects to the painters.

nirofo.
    Yes Nirofo,everyone to their own tastes. Enjoyed the patronising sermon on obtaining sharp images.Some groundbreaking thoughts there i must say.

You leave the arty effects to the painters,
    I'll leave the picture postcard shots to the tourist board.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 07-Feb-10 at 19:27.

Yes Nirofo,everyone to their own tastes. Enjoyed the patronising sermon on obtaining sharp images.Some groundbreaking thoughts there i must say.

You leave the arty effects to the painters,
    I'll leave the picture postcard shots to the tourist board.
    Not trying to be patronising at all, I enjoy the majority of your images, I just don't happen to like the soft image approach on landscapes.

I thought the idea of a photography forum was to express opinions and ideas on photgraphy and photographs and was not just a place to obtain brownie points for your pictures. If someone doesn't like one of my photos then they're quite at liberty to say so, preferably with the reason why they don't like it so that I might be able to improve it next time.

nirofo.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    Not trying to be patronising at all, I enjoy the majority of your images, I just don't happen to like the soft image approach on landscapes.

I thought the idea of a photography forum was to express opinions and ideas on photgraphy and photographs and was not just a place to obtain brownie points for your pictures. If someone doesn't like one of my photos then they're quite at liberty to say so, preferably with the reason why they don't like it so that I might be able to improve it next time.

nirofo.
    Fair enough,you dont like soft focus on landscapes and your quite at liberty to say so.
    Telling me all about how you select the sharpest images etc,as i'm sure most of us do, is pointless when the whole point of the orton effect is soft focus.If you gave some advice on how to improve it,then that would more than welcome.

That doesn't include get it in focus...