Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awesome News!!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Yet strangely, you sound like millions of other guitarists out there. Hmm, go figure.

Of course. But then why the reference to tunings?

Agreed.

Fair play. Your choice and all that.

How would I know beforehand whether I would enjoy them or not? I remember seeing Metallica in '93. They were pretty poor. I still went to see them the next year, and they were brilliant again. By your reckoning, I shouldn't have bothered.

Eh??

Three words for you. Tongue. In. Cheek.

With such a glowing recommendation, how can I not check them out?

(Can a time signature really make people choke? Wow, man...the power of music indeed. )
    Maybe if you had put as much time into playing music as you do separating all of my post into nice neat little quotes you may have got somewhere

Is there actually any local musicians you like?
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    Maybe if you had put as much time into playing music as you do separating all of my post into nice neat little quotes you may have got somewhere
    I am somewhere. Let me know when you get here.

Are there actually any local musicians you like?
    Aye, plenty. You might even be one of them.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I am somewhere. Let me know when you get here.

Aye, plenty. You might even be one of them.
    Classic stuff. I honestly don't know how to take you, sometimes I think you are being really arrogant and pig-headed then all of a sudden, ALMOST nice. :P

Obviously we all have different music tastes etc. it's a good thing otherwise the world would be very boring.
    I just find "traditional" guitarists rather boring. I mean, how many guitarists play a pentatonic scale or a harmonic minor scale? Millions!
    A lot less play a 7/8 verse riff followed by a 5/4 chorus riff. I like different stuff, not saying I don't like a standard 4/4 groove riff but you know, it's good to mix it up.

Classic stuff. I honestly don't know how to take you, sometimes I think you are being really arrogant and pig-headed then all of a sudden, ALMOST nice. :P
    Yep, that pretty much sums me up. You missed out 'really, really clever' though.

Obviously we all have different music tastes etc. it's a good thing otherwise the world would be very boring.
    I just find "traditional" guitarists rather boring. I mean, how many guitarists play a pentatonic scale or a harmonic minor scale? Millions!
    A lot less play a 7/8 verse riff followed by a 5/4 chorus riff. I like different stuff, not saying I don't like a standard 4/4 groove riff but you know, it's good to mix it up.
    It's also good to not preclude oneself from trying anything. A standard 4/4 can be a wonderful thing, the trick is to do it well.

Being different - with all your fancy 7/8s and your 5/4s - doesn't necessarily mean that it's any good (or any better than a standard 4/4). Doing it well is the key.

And none of it means a hill of beans if there isn't a hook to reel them in with.

Yep, that pretty much sums me up. You missed out 'really, really clever' though.

It's also good to not preclude oneself from trying anything. A standard 4/4 can be a wonderful thing, the trick is to do it well.

Being different - with all your fancy 7/8s and your 5/4s - doesn't necessarily mean that it's any good (or any better than a standard 4/4). Doing it well is the key.

And none of it means a hill of beans if there isn't a hook to reel them in with.
    I agree, some of my favourite songs are 4/4 and 3 chord wonders.
    Do you write your own stuff, or used to?

You say it means nothing if there isn't a hook but let's face it, what you describe as a hook could mean nothing to someone else, and vice versa.

I ain't being arrogant when I say I like the songs I have written, I write them for me and they please me, as I said before, if people happen to like them that's grand, if not then cool also.

Do you write your own stuff, or used to?
    Used to. Surprising though it may seem, I was never ever happy with what I came up with. The overly-analytical critical side of my psyche always took over. I always thought that it could be better.

I'm good at coming up with riffs, chord progressions and even some corresponding modal solo stuff and harmony parts, but knitting it all together into a 'song' always eludes me. I end up endlessly tweaking and tinkering, searching for the perfect result.

The basic truth is that, probably, I'm just not very good at it.

Having said that, I know what makes 'good' music. I know what the constituent parts are - hence my desire for your band to embrace the all-encompassing musical 'hook'.

Take Astronot's own recording of "T.N.T." for instance. Can you spot the hook in that song?

Jesus, this thread. Wat?

If I read "it's my opinion" one more time, I may be forced to shoot myself in the face.

Hooks are the hard part to write and even crap songs have them. I ain't a big Lady GaGa fan, but she's got some good hooks. JLS had this underlying synth part on one of their songs that jammed in my head for days. At the end of the day, a hook is a hook.

A hook is a musical idea, often a short riff, passage, or phrase, that is used in music to make a song appealing and to "catch the ear of the listener
    I dunno how else to describe it...

No Exit Wound did that very well with Eyes In The Sky, I don't think that could be denied.

I like Mastodon, but there's nothing that really catches my ear. It's all cleverly written, but there's never really a hook that I go "wow" and get it stuck in my head all day

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Jesus, this thread. Wat?

If I read "it's my opinion" one more time, I may be forced to shoot myself in the face.

Hooks are the hard part to write and even crap songs have them. I ain't a big Lady GaGa fan, but she's got some good hooks. JLS had this underlying synth part on one of their songs that jammed in my head for days. At the end of the day, a hook is a hook.

I dunno how else to describe it...

No Exit Wound did that very well with Eyes In The Sky, I don't think that could be denied.

I like Mastodon, but there's nothing that really catches my ear. It's all cleverly written, but there's never really a hook that I go "wow" and get it stuck in my head all day
    Its my opinion that Mastodon are rubbeeeesh!

Oh no you didn't...

*bang*

Face/Gone.

This is gonna make talking and singing a lot more difficult. The latter was always bad, now I've got this stupid lisp...

A cracking thread. Always time for a good debate on the org..........oh wait, that's pretty much all there ever is on the org.

I do enjoy a mass debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I do enjoy a mass debate.
    Hehe. Dirty boy.

Shocking, I meant it in a political sense!

of course you did

Awaiting response...

Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

*applauds*

Harsh but funny!

Also some excellent photoshopping, how did you manage to get Logan's face on him??

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Harsh but funny!

Also some excellent photoshopping, how did you manage to get Logan's face on him??
    This coming from you Kenneth? Have you actually seen your face?

AND you are Ginger!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast