Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awesome News!!

Default Be nice

Boys Boys holster them plectrums and take a breath, it wasnt that long ago that you were all noodling banjo pickers at e High school, well maybe 10 years or so and i'm sure old Mr watson would give you all a clip round the amps and put you all on the triangle for a week, so each to his own and be nice
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post
    He knows absolutely nothing about indie music so hasn't got a clue what he's blabbing about. You were doing so well until that bit about the La's
    i know as much about indie music as you know about the music i like, which in turn makes you a hipocrit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post
    He knows absolutely nothing about indie music so hasn't got a clue what he's blabbing about. You were doing so well until that bit about the La's
    Oh my goodness! Was listening to their album the other day, have you heard it? I think its just fantastic! One of the albums I can happily listen to over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by bigbenjokazooie View Post
    i know as much about indie music as you know about the music i like, which in turn makes you a hipocrit.
    I doubt that.

Though, I could just copy and paste others' opinions to make myself seem intelligent and insightful and you'd never know the difference.

Oh wait...
    Last edited by Blast!; 16-Feb-10 at 00:12.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    He just doesn't do anything for me, it's scales in Standard or Eb tuning. I just find it very commonplace.
    I'm of the suspicion that you hold that opinion simply because you can't do what he can do*.

Of course he uses scales for his solos. What else would he use?

Maybe once you understand the relevant modes (the Ionian , Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian) and work out how those modes fit into - and enhance and interact with - your chord progressions, you might be able to pass comment worth consideration. Until then, I feel your opinion on a guitar soloist (for that is really all Slash has ever been) is largely irrelevant.

* With respect, of course. I'm looking forward to the 6th March gig. Hope you boys and Astronot blow my 'kin socks off.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I have to disagree with you there. I've never been a huge fan of guitar solos. Now that Astronot have another guitar player, I play them a bit more. But I'm not and never will be a man who sits and figures out scales etc. Slash is a good guitar player, he's famous because of his rocked up, blues guitar solos that he does so well, but he's not doing anything that he couldn't have done 20 years ago in Guns.

Chris Broderick... now there's a man that slays all kinds off ass!

Oh aye, 6th will be exciting. Columbia.. it returneth!

Also, I like Slash, his book was great.

I do think he's more famous as a guitar hero than for being an amazing guitar player though

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    I'm of the suspicion that you hold that opinion simply because you can't do what he can do*.

Of course he uses scales for his solos. What else would he use?

Maybe once you understand the relevant modes (the Ionian , Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian) and work out how those modes fit into - and enhance and interact with - your chord progressions, you might be able to pass comment worth consideration. Until then, I feel your opinion on a guitar soloist (for that is really all Slash has ever been) is largely irrelevant.

* With respect, of course. I'm looking forward to the 6th March gig. Hope you boys and Astronot blow my 'kin socks off.
    I CHOOSE not to do what he can do because it's very common and been done a million times over. I find it boring and predictable, and more often than not can tell where the solo is going to go, there is nothing that makes me go "WOW"

Where does the rule book say you must use scales for solos? I am a massive fan of alternate tunings, infact I use quite a lot of different tunings on my acoustic material.

Now Kim Thayil, there is a great guitar player, unique, original and most important of all FUN. (this is of course my opinion and I'm VERY entitled to it.)

So what is it exactly you do musically Metalattakk? All you ever seem to do is judge other people's music.
    Wow you might be able to play a solo exactly like Slash, good for you.
    Do anything original? Play any gigs?
    Last edited by loganbiffy; 16-Feb-10 at 15:57.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

So what is it exactly you do musically Metalattakk? All you ever seem to do is judge other people's music.
    Do anything original? Play any gigs?
    awaiting response...
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

I CHOOSE not to do what he can do...</snip>
    Choose not to, or can not do?

Where does the rule book say you must use scales for solos? I am a massive fan of alternate tunings, infact I use quite a lot of different tunings on my acoustic material.
    Scales are not bound to particular tunings.

So what is it exactly you do musically Metalattakk?
    Right now? Nothing. I don't have the time any more. People who know me will know why, and I'm not going into it on here. Suffice it to say, my priorities are not what they once were.

Actually, I'd be very surprised if I could. Maybe by accident, but I doubt it. Never been one for learning other people's solos note-for-note.

Play any gigs?
    Nope, for reasons listed above, amongst others. I have played plenty in the past though. Mostly pub gigs right enough, a few local open air festivals, a few self-promoted gigs way back in the Moonshine days, a fair few charity events etc., etc. Have played every pub in Thurso except the Comm, I think, along with most of the Wick pubs, and even one in Clydebank once.

I have played enough music, and listened to enough local bands in my time, to feel perfectly able and qualified to judge music as and when I find it.

I'm sorry if my 'reviews' of your band are not to your liking, and I'm sorry yet rather surprised that you give a stuff about my opinions. But thank you nonetheless for the credence afforded.

I'm still waiting for that one big hook that will transform your music into something truly wonderful. I hope I don't have to wait too much longer (March the 6th would be nice).

A rather good response there Metalattak!

Man, what have I created, a monster I tells ye, this thread used to be a thing of beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Chris Broderick... now there's a man that slays all kinds off ass!
    Some of his stuff on 'Endgame' was awesome. Insane, but awesome.

Columbia.. it returneth!
    Excellent news, squire. \o/

Or in the common parlance: w00t!)

It has a new middle section, sort of like a mix between the two versions we recorded then another bit added on.. the ending makes me lol.

I have played enough music, and listened to enough local bands in my time, to feel perfectly able and qualified to judge music as and when I find it.
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    Is that the best you can do? C'mon man, Jeid done that one that years ago.

That's the trouble with this new breed of 'musician' we have these days - no imagination or creative originality.

Is that the best you can do? C'mon man, Jeid done that one that years ago.

That's the trouble with this new breed of 'musician' we have these days - no imagination or creative originality.

Oh dear Zeb...

Oh dear Zeb...
    Awaiting response...

Choose not to, or can not do?

Right now? Nothing. I don't have the time any more. People who know me will know why, and I'm not going into it on here. Suffice it to say, my priorities are not what they once were.

Actually, I'd be very surprised if I could. Maybe by accident, but I doubt it. Never been one for learning other people's solos note-for-note.

Nope, for reasons listed above, amongst others. I have played plenty in the past though. Mostly pub gigs right enough, a few local open air festivals, a few self-promoted gigs way back in the Moonshine days, a fair few charity events etc., etc. Have played every pub in Thurso except the Comm, I think, along with most of the Wick pubs, and even one in Clydebank once.

I'm sorry if my 'reviews' of your band are not to your liking, and I'm sorry yet rather surprised that you give a stuff about my opinions. But thank you nonetheless for the credence afforded.

I'm still waiting for that one big hook that will transform your music into something truly wonderful. I hope I don't have to wait too much longer (March the 6th would be nice).

As stated before I CHOOSE not to play like the millions of other guitarists out there.
    I never said scales were bound to particular tunings but you don't have to stick to a scale to play a solo.

It's entirely up to you to pass comment and judge other people's music, just as it's up to me to say what I want about Slash or any other musician.

"Reviews" of my band? I was under the impression you were talking about me not copying Slash's guitar playing

I play music for me first and foremost. If people happen to like it then great. If not, fine as well. I don't lose sleep over it.

You seem like a very confused individual, why go to gigs if you don't really enjoy them?

You say the "new breed" of musician has no imagination or creativity. I absolutely disagree, there are musicians out there today that absolutely outclass musicians from years ago.
    Let's take Oceansize as an example. IMO one of the tightest bands I have ever heard, not only tight but unique, amazing dynamics, superb time signatures that could make people choke and they can solo a bit when they feel like it
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

As stated before I CHOOSE not to play like the millions of other guitarists out there.
    Yet strangely, you sound like millions of other guitarists out there. Hmm, go figure.

I never said scales were bound to particular tunings but you don't have to stick to a scale to play a solo.
    Of course. But then why the reference to tunings?

It's entirely up to you to pass comment and judge other people's music, just as it's up to me to say what I want about Slash or any other musician.
    Agreed.

I play music for me first and foremost. If people happen to like it then great. If not, fine as well. I don't lose sleep over it.
    Fair play. Your choice and all that.

You seem like a very confused individual, why go to gigs if you don't really enjoy them?
    How would I know beforehand whether I would enjoy them or not? I remember seeing Metallica in '93. They were pretty poor. I still went to see them the next year, and they were brilliant again. By your reckoning, I shouldn't have bothered.

Eh??

You say the "new breed" of musician has no imagination or creativity. I absolutely disagree, there are musicians out there today that absolutely outclass musicians from years ago.
    Three words for you. Tongue. In. Cheek.

Let's take Oceansize as an example. IMO one of the tightest bands I have ever heard, not only tight but unique, amazing dynamics, superb time signatures that could make people choke and they can solo a bit when they feel like it
    With such a glowing recommendation, how can I not check them out?

(Can a time signature really make people choke? Wow, man...the power of music indeed. )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast