Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Naefearjustbeer
    Think what you want to do with the camera, Do you want a fancy one to take composed pictures. Or one that you can easily pop in you bag and take out and about for snapshots. I have a nice compact camera but some of the more professional looking ones are quite reasonably priced these days. for example this fuji s7000 is £199.99 from amazon

Do you go on long holidays? how many pictures are you liable to take and what kind of batteries does it use. Some use normal AA batteries which you can buy almost anywhere if you nead, other use specilal lithiun ion rechargeables where you will either need to buy a spare battery or take the charger with you when you go away. However the lithium ion batteries tend to last a lot longer than a set of AAs I have a casio with its own rechargeable battery and it will take about 250 max quality flash photos per charge of the battery. I also have a fuji that uses aa batteries and I reckon I get about 100 flash photos per set of 4 AA batteries
    Its a good camera but very bulky thats the big disadvantage with it its no use for going on holidays for the average person the smaller the camera the better idealy its fine to get a camera that will fit into your jacket or handbag so when ure on holiday or out for the whole day the camera is not a burden to u a camera that size is a burden to carry about and your less likely to take it with u

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    Thanks Naefear, I was looking at the link you gave me and the original camera I was looking at is £100 cheaper than Argos. I think what I'll do is go up a look to Argos and look at the camera, and see the size ect and then if I still like it, I'll order it online. Its a Canon PowerShot A620, 7.1 pixel, 4.0 digital zoom and uses AA batteries and 32mb memory size for £187. Does this sound ok or is 7.1 pixels a bit much?
    Before you do nip into the chemists on Traill Street in Thurso, I've seen some good bargains in there. They arn't the latest models they're a year or two old but they're good makes at good reductions in price. Don't know if they have any on offer at the moment but it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Before you do nip into the chemists on Traill Street in Thurso, I've seen some good bargains in there. They arn't the latest models they're a year or two old but they're good makes at good reductions in price. Don't know if they have any on offer at the moment but it's worth a try.
    Ok thanks Fred, I will take a look.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

I have several cameras, my favourite is a 35 year old Canon SLR, just can't beat the lens for good quality work. I also have a pocket size canon which is very discreet, and an Olympus of the same size which has an excellent lens (but has been borrowed by one of the siblings). However, I am rapidly becoming hooked on a little pocket digital camera, a Kodak Easy Share, which has the ability to take three frames per/sec for action shots, and can also be used to take short videos. I have a 1GB card which I purchased on ebay for I think £18, and had it by recorded delivery the next day. This camera is so versitile it still facinates me at times.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

What do you want to do with the camera?

Take lots of pictures but not too bothered about fine quality or fine quality and only a few pictures.

I recently bought a Canon 4mp camera with a 512 mb card. It uses rechargeable AA batteries.

I have it set on the second lowest quality setting and have taken just over 1000 pictures with it in the last 2 months.

If you use non rechargeable batteries, leave the flash on auto and use the view screen it will take 50 - 60 photos.

If you use rechargeable batteries at the same setting it will take over a hundred photos.

With the larger card and the lower settings the card will hold about 1800 pictures.

Increasing the picture quality reduces the amount of photos you can take.

If you want to send your pictures as e-mails then keep the quality lower.

If you want to take pictures for framing then you want the best quality you can get.

It is not necessary to print photographs but it is easy to download them and put them on disc for easy storage and retrieval. The big chemist in town can do that cheaply.

You should get a good happy snapper camera with decent size card, carry case, battery charger etc for around £250.
    Don Quixote

I was in the chemists today and was surprised at how much cheaper they were than they used to be. I remember looking at a camera in the chemist about a year ago and it was £170 dearer than argos. They are still quite expensive but nowhere near as bad as they used to be. Tha camera I looked at was a waterproof olympus camera and they were asking round about £300 amazon are asking for about £245 and John lewis want £329

Another thing is I always take my pictures on maximum quality, If I want to email them I can easily reduce the size and quality of the image. However if you take a low resolution picture that is the best you will get and it wont print out so well. If you take a nice photo you can get an enlargement from your high quality pic and then reduce it if you want to email it to someone(remember to save the original high quality image). I use a free program called irfanview to manipulate images (do a google search it is a free download and easy to use). I also notice that my hotmail email automatically optimises pictures for email when you attach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Naefearjustbeer
    I was in the chemists today and was surprised at how much cheaper they were than they used to be. I remember looking at a camera in the chemist about a year ago and it was £170 dearer than argos. They are still quite expensive but nowhere near as bad as they used to be. Tha camera I looked at was a waterproof olympus camera and they were asking round about £300 amazon are asking for about £245 and John lewis want £329
    You can get a good 4mp with 3x zoom for under 100 quid these days.

Pity the accessories still cost the earth. I look round the thrift shops for old film cameras that are in a nice case, you can get them for 50p or so and throw the camera away. Better than paying £15 for a new one to match your new digital and just as good.

Is this a stupid question to ask, but do all the cameras come with the cables needed or do I need to look out for that? In the Argos catalogue some of them dont mention the cable, whilst others do. Is it just common sense that the cables are included, or is there some, where, actually you need to buy the cables seperately?

I find that the cables are usually supplied with the camera. In fact there are usually more than one supplied to suit different ways of downloading.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

You can get a good 4mp with 3x zoom for under 100 quid these days.
    Indeed, check out this Kodak on Amazon. No doubt the buffs would scoff but for under £70 it is as good a place to start as any, in my opinion. I bought one for my brother as his first camera and he seems well pleased. I myself have a 5.1 MP Nikon but never use half the features so should probably have gone with something cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...473585-9733400

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    Indeed, check out this Kodak on Amazon. No doubt the buffs would scoff but for under £70 it is as good a place to start as any, in my opinion. I bought one for my brother as his first camera and he seems well pleased. I myself have a 5.1 MP Nikon but never use half the features so should probably have gone with something cheaper.

Thanks scorrie, i was looking at this camera last night, I have just gone ahead and ordered it now. Thanks every-one for all the help and advice. No doubt i will be looking for hepl again shortly when I dont know how to get my photos onto the pc...lol What would I do without the org..

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie

Good price on the camera but the accessories are a rip off.

£25.80 for a 256mb SD card is way over the odds.

I bought a Vivitar 3935. 5 mega pixel 3x optical zoom 4x digital zoom, 256mb sd card plus Arcsoft photo software bundle all for £89.00 plus postage from Pricedrop t.v.
    Excellent camera real value for money.
    Last edited by 2little2late; 08-May-06 at 22:31.

Good price on the camera but the accessories are a rip off.

£25.80 for a 256mb SD card is way over the odds.
    Oh aye, forgot to say I only bought the camera itself from amazon.

Cool Camera

If you are still looking Connieb19 take a look at some Canon,I bought a Canon Powershot A85 then a Canon Powershot A610 both very good and not to dear and they come with everything you need even some good photo programs worth the look

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12