Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Any Nan Bread Recipes?

Question Any Nan Bread Recipes?

Hi.

Anyone got a tried & tested recipe to make Nan breads?

Tried a couple, but not been happy with the results so far!!

Cheers,

Kcb.

Default naan bread pizza

dead dead easy

ingredients:
    shop bought naan bread
    mozzarella cheese
    pizza sauce / toppings (optional)

method:
    top the naan bread with sauce, cheese and toppings

bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at 200degrees or until cheese is melted / browning

serve

i prefer to top the sort of 'more cooked' side of the naan bread (the bit with the sort of blackening etc, i'm sure you know what i mean that lets the underside cook off a bit more

if you want to make pizza sauce to top it with, here's an easy one:

2 tablespoons tomato puree
    garlic powder
    dried oregano
    dried basil
    dash of salt and pepper
    drizzle of olive oil
    water (add as much water as you like depending how thick you want your pizza sauce to be, however much basil, oregano, garlic etc you want is up to you too but a wee shake or two of each is fine)

its greats

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.ROY'S DEATH BLADE RUNNER 1982

I found that if you use an normal bread recipe and add olive oil to the warm water, knead as normal, but when you rest the bread, make it flat first, rest for only half an hour to 40 mins, somewhere warm....then when it comes to cooking it. get a non-stick frying pan hot first(no oil or water) then put the flat bread in the dry pan and turn after 5 mins or so and go by eye....pale in colour with brown spots i find is best....use a spatular to flatten while in the pan....i found also helped.
    Enjoy
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes!!

Many Indian recipes call for a tablespoon or two of yoghurt to replace some of the water.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

have found you a Naan bread recipe.
    35g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    14floz full fat milk
    750g plain flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp salt
    3 1/2 tbsp veg oil

mix the sugar, milk ad eggs in a large jug, mix till sugar is dissolved.
    Put the rest of dry ingredients in a bowl and gradually pour milk mix into the flour mix and stir with your hands. and knead to a soft dough....dont over knead as the dough will become too stretchy...cover with damp cloth and leave to rest for 15 mins.

Add oil to dough and mix till oil is absorbed and divide into pieces ( the book says 16...but i guess that depends on how large you want them)....make them into flat rounds and shape into tear shape.
    Place breads into HOT trays and bake for 4 - 5 mins in a hot oven (220c 425f or gas 7)...i personally use a hot dry frying pan and turn them now and then, but you can also grill them.
    Enjoy!!
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
    have found you a Naan bread recipe.
    35g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    14floz full fat milk
    750g plain flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp salt
    3 1/2 tbsp veg oil

mix the sugar, milk ad eggs in a large jug, mix till sugar is dissolved.
    Put the rest of dry ingredients in a bowl and gradually pour milk mix into the flour mix and stir with your hands. and knead to a soft dough....dont over knead as the dough will become too stretchy...cover with damp cloth and leave to rest for 15 mins.

Add oil to dough and mix till oil is absorbed and divide into pieces ( the book says 16...but i guess that depends on how large you want them)....make them into flat rounds and shape into tear shape.
    Place breads into HOT trays and bake for 4 - 5 mins in a hot oven (220c 425f or gas 7)...i personally use a hot dry frying pan and turn them now and then, but you can also grill them.
    Enjoy!!
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a try & fingers crossed they turn out better than my previous efforts

Cheers,

Kcb.

Thumbs up

I tried and tried with recipes and could never get it right. then I was given a tip to grill the dough under a really hot grill. Works an absolute treat. So give the above recipe a go and then grill it don't bake it.