Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Do you know this deer?

Smile Do you know this deer?

Seen this little guy a few times just north of Helmsdale on the A9, Just wondering if anyone else has noticed him....
    Last edited by mark125; 03-Feb-10 at 12:52.

Seen it a few times, usually by the side of the road just below the north bound lay-by. Seems to have got through the deer fence and now cant hook up with the rest of the herd.

3. Default

Dont know this deer at all,in fact i have no ideer who it is.

Nice shots.

I used to see Roe deer just before Berriedale going North. Lucky to see a barn owl that way too, anyone else?

Sorry to pop up again sounding like the 'deer know-it-all' but your picture seems to show an immature Red Deer stag - one of last year's calves born in June. From thephotograpd, the head would appear to indicate the 'buds' of his antlers (they start to develop when the animal is six-seven months old). By this coming autumn, his first 'head' will not look particularly glorious; in fact he will, like all yearling stags, be referred to as a 'knobber'.
    Last edited by Haweswater; 30-Jan-10 at 00:34. Reason: Struggling with the small image and not wishing to commit 100% to the sex of what is clearly a young Red Deer!

It looks very sweet. I hope he is getting plenty to eat as its been difficult weather for them.
    Away with the birds

Sika deer were introduced to the area around the Ord and Berriedale in the sixties. Long shot but it could be them.

The ones I see are Roe.